Peterhead v Kelty

We are actually in no to a  bad bit of form for that last quarter of 9 games , W 4 , D 3 , L 2 with defeats against Dunfermline and Falkirk and both last minute defeats at that so hopefully 3 points here but Peterhead due a win and have already beaten us at Balmoor this season so fek knows but we should be safe from the battle of the drop and looking at a last ditch attempt at the play offs 

Mon Kelty 

A not very good draw between two not very good teams is the tl;dr version of this game, which I took in today as couldn't be arsed trachling all the way to Alloa. It's the end of the month.

The sun visited briefly, scalding the turf, and then like the rest of us wondered what it was doing there, realised it had better places to be, and left, leaving the rest of the match to be played out in slate grey and freezing conditions. I've only just about thawed out now.

This Peterhead team, strangers a month ago, are gelling, and seem much more compact and difficult to beat. Some of Davie Robertson's signings are working out well. Big Joshua at the back is a really solid player. McKenzie in goal has settled in. Bilsland is a quietly efficient player, not flash but puts in a shift. Fosu is a nuisance up front who creates space for others.

Still Kelty's team should have had more than enough to deal with the division's anchored backmarkers. The game had started fairly evenly withthe big difference between the teams being Kelty's passing. They cut through Peterhead on a couple of occasions effortlessly and looked lethal on the break, carving nice filigree patterns; Pugin as compared with the mossy breezblock architecture of their hosts.

They took the lead mid way through the first half in a move down the main stand side which bizarrely met with little resistance from the home defence. It was Martin of all people, a centre-half, who lazily negotiated a way through the Blue Toon's rearguard and sent a shot whistling past a startled McKenize high into the net from the edge of the area. I imagine he will have a more testing journey from his collbox to smoking barbecue in his back garden this summer. Kelty really looked menacing at this point but their best spell of the game didn't last for long.

The game was niggly and stop started not helped at all by an atrocious fusspot of a referee whose litany of incorrect decisions throughout this game would struggle to fit into two densely typed leather bound volumes. Throughout the game he mystifyingly overlooked several blatant fouls on Peterhead players, giving very little to the home side. The querulous pitch of the home support intensified with each successive baffling blunder by the cluless buffoon in the middle (the linesmen had the good grace to look slightly embarrassed on a couple of occasions). You're never far from a hallucinating puffed-up clown in black in the middle of a lower league game these days; taking a couple of drops of mescalin before the kick off before confidently striding out to take charge of what can only be described as a totally parallel version of reality.

In a rare moment of lucidity the whistler awarded Peterhead a free kick at the edge of the area, just before the break. The vastly experienced Higginbotham, still a quality player with a great eye for a pass, was trying to referee the game, and he and the Banksy-shredded maroon shirts surrounded the referee, causing him to yaw like a child's toy yacht in a swell. But they couldn't sink his decision, and up stepped young Wilkie to send a low tracer bullet of a free kick past the goalkeeper's outstretched left palm. 1-1, and amidst the shocked celebrations of the Blue Toon's thirteenth goal of the entire season, the Kelty recriminations began. Lots of furious shouting, finger pointing and shoulder shrugging which was still going on as the players trooped off for half time a few seconds later. The great tectonic plates of Potter's huge bald cranium knitted together alarmingly, and I can only imagine that the seismograph in the Kelty dressing room was juddering furiously throughout the break. A completely avoidable set piece goal to give away.

Any hope that this late first half drama would galvanise Peterhead proved unfounded. The second half was one long refereeing gripe, the game struggling to flow properly through his constant mother-henning over trivia and non-offences. Peterhead had their moments but it wasn't Shanks' day up front and the visiting goalkeeper wasn't worked too hard by the rare alarms. Kelty has much more of the ball in the last quarter and win a series of free kicks and corners, but their set piece siege engine is in sore need of a good drop of WD40. McKenzie did save well under pressure on a couple of occasions but I didn't feel a breakthrough was coming. Potter really should be getting much more of a tune out of a talented group.I enjoyed watching Higginbotham and Barjonas again although Nathan Austin looked a shadow of the player that ran up cricket score goal tallies during Kelty's rapid advance from the defunct juniors. Congrats to a healthy travelling support who seemed to have a great day out by largely ignoring the game and chatting amongst themselves.

All of which diaharretic spasms of inconsequence meant that this was not a terrible game, but not a great one either. The game hinged on Peterhead's defence being just about competent enough to clear theirn lines now, and Kelty being opretty clumsy in attack. Watching the Fifers try to score a winner was like watching a fingerless man try to bludgeon a jellyfish with a badminton racket.

Peterhead are just about keeping the Crossroads-level melodrama of  "who will be in the releagtion play off" alive for now. As for Kelty, well it seems like the longest pre-season for 23/24 is already under way. They're not going to be in the promotion play offs and are safe by default from relegation owing to the epically dreadful character of the teams in the bottom two spaces. What use do they have of the remainder of the camapign then? Plenty, of course, and we'll see if the "am no sure about him" gaffer, Potter, takes the opportunity to work out who will be in his squad next year, who he needs to bring in, and whether any of that work will have any consequence.

I'm very tired and have not been sleeping well so congratulations to the 0.66 readers who waded through the runny verbal molasses of that report. I'll do better next time. Pass the fucking Nytol.

11 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

A not very good draw between two not very good teams is the tl;dr version of this game, which I took in today as couldn't be arsed trachling all the way to Alloa. It's the end of the month.

The sun visited briefly, scalding the turf, and then like the rest of us wondered what it was doing there, realised it had better places to be, and left, leaving the rest of the match to be played out in slate grey and freezing conditions. I've only just about thawed out now.

This Peterhead team, strangers a month ago, are gelling, and seem much more compact and difficult to beat. Some of Davie Robertson's signings are working out well. Big Joshua at the back is a really solid player. McKenzie in goal has settled in. Bilsland is a quietly efficient player, not flash but puts in a shift. Fosu is a nuisance up front who creates space for others.

Still Kelty's team should have had more than enough to deal with the division's anchored backmarkers. The game had started fairly evenly withthe big difference between the teams being Kelty's passing. They cut through Peterhead on a couple of occasions effortlessly and looked lethal on the break, carving nice filigree patterns; Pugin as compared with the mossy breezblock architecture of their hosts.

They took the lead mid way through the first half in a move down the main stand side which bizarrely met with little resistance from the home defence. It was Martin of all people, a centre-half, who lazily negotiated a way through the Blue Toon's rearguard and sent a shot whistling past a startled McKenize high into the net from the edge of the area. I imagine he will have a more testing journey from his collbox to smoking barbecue in his back garden this summer. Kelty really looked menacing at this point but their best spell of the game didn't last for long.

The game was niggly and stop started not helped at all by an atrocious fusspot of a referee whose litany of incorrect decisions throughout this game would struggle to fit into two densely typed leather bound volumes. Throughout the game he mystifyingly overlooked several blatant fouls on Peterhead players, giving very little to the home side. The querulous pitch of the home support intensified with each successive baffling blunder by the cluless buffoon in the middle (the linesmen had the good grace to look slightly embarrassed on a couple of occasions). You're never far from a hallucinating puffed-up clown in black in the middle of a lower league game these days; taking a couple of drops of mescalin before the kick off before confidently striding out to take charge of what can only be described as a totally parallel version of reality.

In a rare moment of lucidity the whistler awarded Peterhead a free kick at the edge of the area, just before the break. The vastly experienced Higginbotham, still a quality player with a great eye for a pass, was trying to referee the game, and he and the Banksy-shredded maroon shirts surrounded the referee, causing him to yaw like a child's toy yacht in a swell. But they couldn't sink his decision, and up stepped young Wilkie to send a low tracer bullet of a free kick past the goalkeeper's outstretched left palm. 1-1, and amidst the shocked celebrations of the Blue Toon's thirteenth goal of the entire season, the Kelty recriminations began. Lots of furious shouting, finger pointing and shoulder shrugging which was still going on as the players trooped off for half time a few seconds later. The great tectonic plates of Potter's huge bald cranium knitted together alarmingly, and I can only imagine that the seismograph in the Kelty dressing room was juddering furiously throughout the break. A completely avoidable set piece goal to give away.

Any hope that this late first half drama would galvanise Peterhead proved unfounded. The second half was one long refereeing gripe, the game struggling to flow properly through his constant mother-henning over trivia and non-offences. Peterhead had their moments but it wasn't Shanks' day up front and the visiting goalkeeper wasn't worked too hard by the rare alarms. Kelty has much more of the ball in the last quarter and win a series of free kicks and corners, but their set piece siege engine is in sore need of a good drop of WD40. McKenzie did save well under pressure on a couple of occasions but I didn't feel a breakthrough was coming. Potter really should be getting much more of a tune out of a talented group.I enjoyed watching Higginbotham and Barjonas again although Nathan Austin looked a shadow of the player that ran up cricket score goal tallies during Kelty's rapid advance from the defunct juniors. Congrats to a healthy travelling support who seemed to have a great day out by largely ignoring the game and chatting amongst themselves.

All of which diaharretic spasms of inconsequence meant that this was not a terrible game, but not a great one either. The game hinged on Peterhead's defence being just about competent enough to clear theirn lines now, and Kelty being opretty clumsy in attack. Watching the Fifers try to score a winner was like watching a fingerless man try to bludgeon a jellyfish with a badminton racket.

Peterhead are just about keeping the Crossroads-level melodrama of  "who will be in the releagtion play off" alive for now. As for Kelty, well it seems like the longest pre-season for 23/24 is already under way. They're not going to be in the promotion play offs and are safe by default from relegation owing to the epically dreadful character of the teams in the bottom two spaces. What use do they have of the remainder of the camapign then? Plenty, of course, and we'll see if the "am no sure about him" gaffer, Potter, takes the opportunity to work out who will be in his squad next year, who he needs to bring in, and whether any of that work will have any consequence.

I'm very tired and have not been sleeping well so congratulations to the 0.66 readers who waded through the runny verbal molasses of that report. I'll do better next time. Pass the fucking Nytol.

That was a perfect report of the game with a touch of satire thrown in to make it entertaining to read - you have missed your true vocation. Your assessment of the referee was spot on and I doubt if he has ever played the game in his life, as his failure to recognise a foul at times was frustrating for both teams - I certainly don't want to see him back at Balmoor in a hurry. Hope you come back again to our next home game to give another report.

Thank you. Next time I'll see your side will be at LInks Park in mid-March! But I do enjoy a visit to Balmoor, a good (social) club with good people at it.

I did have misgivings about Davie Robertson going in there but fair play, he has made Peterhead visibily better in his time. Can't help feeling however that even if you finish 9th, somehow, that it would be better to rebuild in League 2 for Peterhead. Suspect it wouldn''t be long before you'd come back.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman