Things were better in my day

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

In 1992 headliners included Lou Reed and Van Morrison, with (Tom Jones as a special guest) who were as current then as  GnR are now. Not sure Glastonbury has been at the cutting edge for a while. 

The other headliner IIRC was Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine.  They were a decent and then current band. 

I strongly suspect that your experience in subjective and you-centric. My subjective cut off for decent stuff is about ten years earlier but recently i've been getting excited about new music again. Must be the mid life crisis. 

What new music do you like? There’s some good stuff out there - nothing that I’d consider festival headline material though that isn’t utter pish like Lizzo or Harry Styles.

I can be wrong but I think there was a spell where there seemed a lack of bands coming through but in the last few years there does seem to be a lot more new bands coming through and they seem to be out there playing lots of small gigs like bands used too. 

I may be wrong though and its just my perspective and I am also going through a midlife crisis.

Its same for House music, it felt like for a while it was just all complete bland shite but in last year i feel im hearing a lot more decent stuff again.

Its a mid life crisis isnt it? 😄

Edited by ScotiaNostra

There's a lot of good music around just now (and over the last decade and a bit too). It's just your average P&B poster who whinges about the state of music today is only spoon fed whatever stuff Radio 1 and Radio 2 want them to hear.

It's similar to complaining about how modern cinema is rubbish because Marvel movies and whatever garbage reboot we've got this month are mostly terrible. There's a lot of good stuff out there if you're prepared to look for it.

Edited by yoda

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What new music do you like? There’s some good stuff out there - nothing that I’d consider festival headline material though that isn’t utter pish like Lizzo or Harry Styles.

I've been very much enjoying the big beat style stylings (i believe it's called glitch nowadays) of Krafty Kuts and OPIOU, and I think Little Simz has many moments of absolute genius. Finding Sleaford Mods very entertaining and I'm very much "down" with some of the more off piste Hip Hop (Krum, Bruiser Wolf and a bit more populust, Madlib).  Oh and Sampa the Great.  

There's a load of bits of really exciting stuff in modern funk (eg Thundercat) and afrobeat. Folk seems quite vibrant at the moment too.

There really is no need to listen to the musical blamange that is Harry Styles unless you also have a ten year old that puts his earfluff on in the car. Still rather that than  the eldest's pretendy gangster twats. 

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I feel like music lacks the pioneers and cultures which has defined music in previous decades. In the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s there were all sorts of new genres emerging, musicians became proper legends and it was exciting. I feel since the 2010s music has gone rapidly downhill. The best bands at festivals are the big names of previous eras. I mean look at the Glastonbury headliners for this year: Arctic Monkeys, Guns n' Roses and Elton John. All great acts but they are not 'current' bands. It doesn't fill you with much excitement. The alternative would be something like, what, Stormzy, George Ezra and Adele. Do me a favour.

Hope this was intentional.

9 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I remember playing computer games and watching movies as a kid and thinking about how brilliant they will be in 20 years.
Now we look back and wish they were still made that well.

History isn't a line. It's a spiral. 

"You are in a dark cave.  There are exits to the North, South and West.  You hear a growling sound in the distance.  Which way do you go?"

"N" (for North)

"Oh too bad.  You have been devoured by a two headed cyclop.  You are dead.  Restart Y/N?"

Those adventure games were great and none of that graphic shite and joysticks or any of that.  Those were the days.

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

"You are in a dark cave.  There are exits to the North, South and West.  You hear a growling sound in the distance.  Which way do you go?"

"N" (for North)

"Oh too bad.  You have been devoured by a two headed cyclop.  You are dead.  Restart Y/N?"

Those adventure games were great and none of that graphic shite and joysticks or any of that.  Those were the days.

For years I thought The Hobbit was set in Fife.

BDEB5C91-439F-48FA-818B-5F6A9C29CD57.png.581bca1cf1b8717d84b920e6e8976b3c.png

Spoiler

Turns out it was.

On 08/03/2023 at 04:10, velo army said:

He's saying that people in their 30's and 40's in the 80's were saying that music was better when they were younger, which is true. Music we experience when we're teenagers has the greatest impact, arguably, of any music we listen to in our lives. Our emotional reactions are stronger and we don't have the "handbrake" of developed frontal lobes to take the edge off them. Although you're obviously right that music was better until the 80's, then the era of manufactured music seriously kicked in.

You were born into that era, so I'd suggest that music was certainly not better in your day and was in fact just as pish as it is now. Unless you count britpop as belonging to your era, in which case batter in.

Hoad the bus. Late 80's early 90's when the rave/dance scene started was a new revolution for music, there was a lot of pishe also, but it also was a generation that shite music today tries to emulate.

Theres a theory that most the new types of music, genres were linked to changes in technology, or some new way of using existing technology or technology becoming cheaper and mass available. So a new sound formed and from that new scenes started. So examples like electric guitar rocknroll, synth 80s music. Drum machines roland 808 and acid house etc etc I guess Dubstep must of been related to some tech being widely available.

Then you have the retro scenes where some scene is revisited by a later generation

As I cant claim to know whats happening now, Whats the current scenes and what tech are they based around if any?

14 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Theres a theory that most the new types of music, genres were linked to changes in technology, or some new way of using existing technology or technology becoming cheaper and mass available. So a new sound formed and from that new scenes started. So examples like electric guitar rocknroll, synth 80s music. Drum machines roland 808 and acid house etc etc I guess Dubstep must of been related to some tech being widely available.

Then you have the retro scenes where some scene is revisited by a later generation

As I cant claim to know whats happening now, Whats the current scenes and what tech are they based around if any?

Seems to be any song but speeded up to sound like the chipmunks, using the morontech of the Tiktok. 

19 hours ago, coprolite said:

"Manufactured" music has been around since recordings were available. 

Plenty of the charts in "the golden ages" was utter bilge from music farms, like Larry Parnes' stable.  No different to Simon Cowell and his ilk now. 

Motown may have put out a few belters but they also put out Rockin Robin and a whole slew of mediocrity from the likes of the temptations. 

Even before that the likes of Louis Armstrong was frowned on by serious Jazz types for doing commercial stuff. 

The biggest selling single in the UK in the sixties- Beatles? Stones? Nope, Please Release Me. 

Arguably music was more manufactured before the 80s when the punk/ indie attitude to ignoring record labels kicked in. 

Think you’ll find the biggest selling single was by the Beatles

14 hours ago, Fullerene said:

"N" (for North)

Hmm.

Two-headed cyclop [sic] seems like it would have two eyes, so... probably not eligible for membership of the Cyclops tribe.

Hence, presumably, the off-brand naming.