Things that might die (out) in your lifetime

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Days of bliss, which made them switch on the air recycling frequently enough to increase to chances of getting of rid of respiratory infections too. As soon as they banned smoking they cut down the aircon and virus spread went wild.

...then the chem trails started...

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Days of bliss, which made them switch on the air recycling frequently enough to increase to chances of getting of rid of respiratory infections too. As soon as they banned smoking they cut down the aircon and virus spread went wild.

What are the figures for this?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You can't hack a key.  

You can easily copy one. 

Or just pick a lock.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

You can easily copy one. 

Or just pick a lock.

To copy one you need the original.  And you need to know which lock it opens.  A keycard is much more risky as it's more likely to be kept in a wallet where your address may be on something else there. 

To be fair, I've lived in a place with a fancy doorlock -10 digit code, fingerprint and traditional key.  I always used the fingerprint but it was temperamental and the code was too long to memorise so still needed the key as a backup.  

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What are the figures for this?

In 1970, the typical passenger aircraft provided 15 ft3/min (7 litres/s) or more of outside air per person, but by 1987, this had declined to where some new commercial aircraft provided barely 6 ft3/min per person (2.8 litres/s per person) of outside air flow to their passenger cabins.11 Moreover, at the pilot’s discretion, aircraft manufactured during the 1970s could reduce outside airflows to 10 ft3/min per person, and outside air delivery rates have been reduced to as low as 2.1 ft3/min per person (1 litre/s per person), or ~1/10 of that for office workers.11,16 For example, one study of ventilation rates on seven aircraft, model unidentified, but seating up to 101 passengers, found that on 45 flights of one hour or less, whenever the number of passengers exceeded 34, the ventilation failed to meet the manufacturers’ recommendation of 5 litres/s per passenger.16 For aircraft with particulate air filtration, nominal filter efficiency (90–99.98%) varies with airline policy; however, such efficiencies are not attained in practice.11 Gaseous SHS contaminants are not filtered. Thus, aircraft ventilation rates have declined by a third to half or more since 1970.

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/13/suppl_1/i8

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Strange that Accies sales are so low. East Fife sell 150 to 200 programmes on crowds of 500 - 600.

It's strange that they seem to be proportionately better as you go down the pyramid and worse as you go up it...I was also hearing that Celtic often don't manage 2000 sales with crowds of close to 60000.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

To copy one you need the original.  And you need to know which lock it opens. 

No you don't. You can literally get multiple locks to work under one key. Several massive companies all over Scotland do it.

Edited by Derry Alli

1 hour ago, Ekhibee88 said:

I seem to remember Pizza Hut having a smoking section until late on, perhaps up to the ban.

The Dan Air INV/LHR red eye flight lit up its smoking section at the back of the fuselage just south of Aviemore and free gin & tonic pick me ups somewhere south of Carlisle.

All have definitely died out, just like the smoking section in the La Scala pictures, which if I recall correctly, was nominally on the left hand side of the stalls.

On 25/02/2023 at 19:21, Ekhibee88 said:

I seem to remember Pizza Hut having a smoking section until late on, perhaps up to the ban.

This is all bringing back memories of going into a restaurant and being asked "Smoking or non-smoking?"  Also, having to bin all your clothes after a night in the pub due to the smell of smoke.

On 23/02/2023 at 16:45, coprolite said:

Suitcases on wheels are ok if they're massive suitcases on really flat ground. Other than that they're a pain to drag about and a trip hazard. Stations in London are full of guys half my age dragging wee holdall sized things or even a laptop case behind them like my granny with the mesaages. They should be made to pick them up and carry them properly and wear a big badge saying "lazy, inconsiderate c**t" 

I don't mind suitcases with wheels where the wheels are mostly embedded in the case so they don't stick out far. But I hate the ones now where the wheels are on stalks so you can spin the case anyway you want. These wheels are just waiting to be broken off in the hold, and make your case bigger for the purpose of carry on size.

12 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I don't mind suitcases with wheels where the wheels are mostly embedded in the case so they don't stick out far. But I hate the ones now where the wheels are on stalks so you can spin the case anyway you want. These wheels are just waiting to be broken off in the hold, and make your case bigger for the purpose of carry on size.

It’s infuriating trying to find a nice roll-on with two wheels nestled in the base, everyone is making those freaking spinner types, like we all need bags that can breakdance!

Edited by TxRover