Things that might die (out) in your lifetime

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

You do realise that its not the pubco establishments that are disappearing so if you want to live in a world of Brewdog, Wetherspoons and Greene King, be my guest but f**k that for pint on a Sunday afternoon. 

I may not have been entirely clear, but so there is no ambiguity here, the pubs that wouldn’t be missed are the soulless chains and hybrid pubs that try to please everyone.

Proper boozers should be protected at all costs.

31 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I may not have been entirely clear, but so there is no ambiguity here, the pubs that wouldn’t be missed are the soulless chains and hybrid pubs that try to please everyone.

Proper boozers should be protected at all costs.

Absolutely but its your Greene Kings, your Harry Kanes and your Martsons that are thriving.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

We’ve not had to for a few years for day to day but we’re expected to suit up for visiting clients. I don’t wear a tie with my suit but plenty do. I think I’m probably supposed to but most clients will be in jeans and a polo shirt anyway. The firm I work for can be quite old fashioned. 

I expect that a load of the more old school brokerages and merchant banks on the square mile still expect ties with a pin with a three piece suit and double cuffed shirts etc and will hold out at least another decade. 

The very last hold out will be the houses of parliament. 

ties started to disappear in Aberdeen well over a decade ago, even for last interview I had a suit and shirt and no tie and got job. It one of the few things that Aberdeen definitely ahead of rest of Scotland in. Probably due to so many US/European businesses and those leading the way.

Just now, MEADOWXI said:

ties started to disappear in Aberdeen well over a decade ago, even for last interview I had a suit and shirt and no tie and got job. It one of the few things that Aberdeen definitely ahead of rest of Scotland in. Probably due to so many US/European businesses and those leading the way.

Boot cut jeans on the other hand...

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

We’ve not had to for a few years for day to day but we’re expected to suit up for visiting clients. I don’t wear a tie with my suit but plenty do. I think I’m probably supposed to but most clients will be in jeans and a polo shirt anyway. The firm I work for can be quite old fashioned. 

I expect that a load of the more old school brokerages and merchant banks on the square mile still expect ties with a pin with a three piece suit and double cuffed shirts etc and will hold out at least another decade. 

The very last hold out will be the houses of parliament. 

I have chuckled a few times inside when the occasional tie wearing home worker appeared on teams meetings. I remember tie wearing coming to a head in my then work one hot summers day when female staff were strolling in wearing vest tops and flip flops as guys were in trousers, shirts and ties. From that day on it gradually fizzled out for me and it was never a big thing in offices I've worked in since. I haven't seen a tie even in an office situation for a few years now bar interviews. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I have chuckled a few times inside when the occasional tie wearing home worker appeared on teams meetings. I remember tie wearing coming to a head in my then work one hot summers day when female staff were strolling in wearing vest tops and flip flops as guys were in trousers, shirts and ties. From that day on it gradually fizzled out for me and it was never a big thing in offices I've worked in since. I haven't seen a tie even in an office situation for a few years now bar interviews. 

The size that tie knots had evolved to was not sustainable 

Probably printed tickets for anything - football, concerts, flights, whatever. Will soon be entirely paperless.

Being able to phone a company and get through to a living breathing human being who can actually help with your issue.

The football match progranme.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You do get the odd one - normally someone new to the job or perhaps newly promoted and still at the trying to make an impression stage, but it's rare in my place. Earlier in the week I was called into a planning meeting and nobody batted an eyelid at the fact I happened to be wearing a Boards of Canada T-shirt, jeans and army boots that day. It's not like my input would have been intrinsically more valid if I'd worn a suit anyway.

1 hour ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Provincial bank branches.

Mrs and I were talking about this last night, late 80’s Paisley had all the main banks of the day along with at least two sub branches of the main banks and loads of building societies. Now just the main banks and a handful of building societies. At least a dozen branches gone in the last few decades. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Boot cut jeans on the other hand...

Not a bad thing, makes groups of teuchter bams easier to identify when the walk in the bar.

Brown brogues, boot cut jeans, dress jacket, and 3 brain cells between the 8 of them that can't remember a round of drinks from one pub to the next.

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

I’d love to see sectarianism in Scottish football die out completely but that’s hopeful rather than likely unfortunately.

Shame really, as religion is dying a slow death, and most these fans have probably never seen the inside of a church outwith weddings and funerals. But it passes down the family line like a plague 

1 minute ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Shame really, as religion is dying a slow death, and most these fans have probably never seen the inside of a church outwith weddings and funerals. But it passes down the family line like a plague 

Sectarianism in Scottish football has f**k all to do with religion. For some inexplicable reason (I would wager said "inexplicable reason" is stupidity tbh), people confuse following certain football teams with being part of a particular religion. None of these people know the first thing about the religions they claim to follow. 

I have had conversations like the following:

Idiot: Ahm a Proddy m8

Me: So you believe in Jesus?

Idiot: Naw that's a pure tarrier hing 

Me:

b1cdcd6b67d1ad9bbd3ffb6a2aeb29bb.gif.0c97cf631c8d11e8749e9ee763eccd39.gif

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Businessman Tie Around Head Stock Photo (Edit Now) 85733390 - Shutterstock

The last two (professional) offices I worked in (approx 2000 to 2015) were tieless, maybe a tie when attending meetings, can't remember the dress code in the 1987 office. Prior to that, afair, it was ties both in professional office and contractors' office.