Things that might die (out) in your lifetime

I’ve noticed that’s far too long so TL;DR version: Watching normally telly (stone deed by about 2066).

I was watching an old episode of The Sweeney there, and it got me googling a couple of the cast to see what else they were in (and if there still alive or not, totally unrelated to next years Dead Pool list, honest) and one search led me to a Facebook group about remembering 70’s actors, which got me thinking. Now I was only born in the early 90’s but growing up in a house obsessed with 70’s British telly shows I remember my dad telling me how important watching normal TV was with the family. 

I can’t remember the last time I watching something on the TV that wasn’t on demand/streamed on a dater date. So, based on nothing at all, I will predict “normal telly” will be a thing of the past by the time I’m in my 70’s.  What “normal thing” will be no longer when you’re looking back on it all? 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

Physical Newspapers probably in my lifetime, I’m 26 and last time I bought one was 7/8 years ago for a train journey. Don’t know anyone my age that reads/buys them regularly, even my parents stopped getting papers delivered a few years back. 

Mass use of diesel and petrol cars will die out in a few years with the new laws coming in soon too

6 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I’ve noticed that’s far too long so TL;DR version: Watching normally telly (stone deed by about 2066).

I was watching an old episode of The Sweeney there, and it got me googling a couple of the cast to see what else they were in (and if there still alive or not, totally unrelated to next years Dead Pool list, honest) and one search led me to a Facebook group about remembering 70’s actors, which got me thinking. Now I was only born in the early 90’s but growing up in a house obsessed with 70’s British telly shows I remember my dad telling me how important watching normal TV was with the family. 

I can’t remember the last time I watching something on the TV that wasn’t on demand/streamed on a dater date. So, based on nothing at all, I will predict “normal telly” will be a thing of the past by the time I’m in my 70’s.  What “normal thing” will be no longer when you’re looking back on it all? 

How about News programmes or the football?  It's not the same on a tablet or smartphone.

7 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Physical Newspapers probably in my lifetime, I’m 26 and last time I bought one was 7/8 years ago for a train journey. Don’t know anyone my age that reads/buys them regularly, even my parents stopped getting papers delivered a few years back. 

Mass use of diesel and petrol cars will die out in a few years with the new laws coming in soon too

Not unless there is a drastic improvement in electric cars there won't be. Cost far to much money, don't do enough miles and take far to long to charge. Unless you only make short journeys around town imo they are no use at all unless big improvements made. 

Print Newspapers - I cannot remember the last time I actually bought one.

Cigarette smoking

The rainforests

International football tournaments

The ice caps and glaciers

Elephants

Tigers

Lions

Physical money

Freedom

Democracy

Human rights

Liberty

Breathable air

Drinkable water

Edible food

59 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Smoking 

I'm 42 and when I was a kid you could smoke on public transport, in pubs, restaurants, cafes.  My dad was a heavy smoker and people used to happily let him smoke in their house, even if they themselves didn't smoke.  People smoked in offices - when my dad's business moved premises we cleared everything out and the walls were yellow with nicotine.  A little before my time but politicians used to smoke during interviews - when Harold Wilson was PM he was encouraged to start smoking a pipe to make him more relatable.

This has now completely changed in every single instance.  Who knows if smoking cigarettes will still be a thing in the next few decades.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Print Newspapers - I cannot remember the last time I actually bought one.

Cigarette smoking

The rainforests

International football tournaments

The ice caps and glaciers

Elephants

Tigers

Lions

Physical money

Freedom

Democracy

Human rights

Liberty

Breathable air

Drinkable water

Edible food

Billy Joel we didnt start the fire - Room Escape Artist

8 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

We're getting close to the point where at least some newspapers must be thinking about ceasing print editions completely. Generally, newspapers across the board are losing around 10% of their remaining sales every year. There eventually will come a time where there's no point doing a print run for the few thousand old codgers left that insist on a hard copy Daily Express or whatever.

It's across the board as well...the gammon gazettes like the Heil and the S*n are going the same way sales-wise...the former's lost 20% of its sales in the last two years and the latter hasn't even published circulation figures in that time. Probably the biggest loser has been the Record which is only selling 60k-ish a day now, but a lot of that was obviously self-inflicted back in 2014.