The Big History Thread

11 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Indeed, I find the period from the end of the 1st world war, to the end of the cold war absolutely fascinating, however there'll be people far more clued up on that who will hopefully post. 

There's a podcast called Blowback I listened to a while ago which covers this timeline. There's a series on Cuba and another one on Korea which I haven't listened to yet. Fair to say it probably leans left wing.

1 minute ago, Bodie said:

There's a podcast called Blowback I listened to a while ago which covers this timeline. There's a series on Cuba and another one on Korea which I haven't listened to yet. Fair to say it probably leans left wing.

Blowback is excellent. They are pretty open about their own biases but their analysis is generally hard to argue with. Cuba was particularly good but the Korea and Iraq series were also great, and Afghanistan is up next. The Chapo boys are doing a thirty Years War series just now which is absolutely superb as well, the most recent episode on the scale of the destruction in Germany was absolutely harrowing. Other good History Podcasts for me are Revolutions and History of Rome by Mike Duncan; Fall of Civilisations which gets into speculation a fair amount but is very good; The Age of Napoleon and Tides of History

On that time period a couple of books I've read recently/am reading are The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins, and The Devil's Chessboard. The first covers the anti-Communist movements the US and others set up to undermine the third world movements and the destruction they wrought. The second covers the Dulles brothers and their impact on US foreign policy from pre-WW2 past the Kennedy assassination. 

31 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Blowback is excellent. They are pretty open about their own biases but their analysis is generally hard to argue with. Cuba was particularly good but the Korea and Iraq series were also great, and Afghanistan is up next. The Chapo boys are doing a thirty Years War series just now which is absolutely superb as well, the most recent episode on the scale of the destruction in Germany was absolutely harrowing. Other good History Podcasts for me are Revolutions and History of Rome by Mike Duncan; Fall of Civilisations which gets into speculation a fair amount but is very good; The Age of Napoleon and Tides of History

On that time period a couple of books I've read recently/am reading are The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins, and The Devil's Chessboard. The first covers the anti-Communist movements the US and others set up to undermine the third world movements and the destruction they wrought. The second covers the Dulles brothers and their impact on US foreign policy from pre-WW2 past the Kennedy assassination. 

Aye, I've been listening to the Hell on Earth stuff it's been great.

Matt Christman's Hinge Points is also good.

More modern for me, Europe from about 1789 and the French Revolution right through till recent history of the Berlin wall falling in 1989, and amazing couple of centuries.

France been through being a kingdom twice, empire twice and now on fifth Republic, and the influence of Napoleon in infrastructure and civil life as well as militarily,

Italy only been a unified country since the 1860s and Garibaldi,

Germany, or Prussia and the repeated wars throughout the 19th century that eventually creates a unified Germany. 

Moving to 20th century and looking at maps as wars create and destroy countries and change the shape of Europe.

Outwith that Scots history of the Stuarts and their rise and fall, a sadly neglected period when I was at school.

Love PBS channel, and even the US stuff, especially Ken Burns, is great to watch.

1 hour ago, Bodie said:

Worth a listen would you say? A podcast would be ideal. 

Edit: Just read @Genuine Hibs Fanpost, I'll give it a listen. 

Edited by Grant228

11 minutes ago, Bodie said:

Aye, he's definitely in the historical hall of fame. Some boi.

Napoleon was a little guy:
They used to call him Shorty.
He only stood about so high.
His chest was under forty
But when folks started talking mean.,
His pride it didn't injure :
'My queen,' he'd say to Josephine,
'The thing that counts is ginger.'

He got too fat. We all know that
From portraits in the galleries.
He never seemed to learn the knack
Of laying off the calories.
But though his waist was large, he faced
And overcame all foemen.
He knew quite well it's brains that tell
And not a guy's abdomen.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Napoleon was a little guy:
They used to call him Shorty.
He only stood about so high.

Napoleon was actually average height ( 5'6" - 1.68m), which for the the period of time was totally average. His height is an early example of Fakenews to undermine.

1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

Napoleon was actually average height ( 5'6" - 1.68m), which for the the period of time was totally average. His height is an early example of Fakenews to undermine.

It was just a comedy poem by PG Wodehouse. I wouldn't take his stuff too literally.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have been reading Shelby Foote's History of the American Civil War recently. He adds a bit of colour to the books, beyond the dry historical. Quite into that at the moment for some reason.

He was one of the main 'consultants' on Ken Burns 'Civil War' documentary. A real old fashioned Southern-type gent.

33 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I thought the assumption that he was small came as part of a misunderstanding because French and British measurements were different?

I'm probably setting off the QI claxon, here.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought the assumption that he was small came as part of a misunderstanding because French and British measurements were different?

I'm probably setting off the QI claxon, here.

More the belittling of the 'jumped up little corporal' daring to stand against the mighty British Empire. 

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've read/listened to/watched a fair bit about Napoleon and can still never decide whether he's a good guy or a w**k.

Tactically - mostly good

Leadership - hard and cruel,

Ego - maniac

Society/infrastructure rebuilding - within France good

Nepotism - Looney

Belief for self & country & people - good

Would say mostly good

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've read/listened to/watched a fair bit about Napoleon and can still never decide whether he's a good guy or a w**k.

The defeat of Napoleon set the entire world back. Trafalgar and Waterloo two of the worst defeats for progress in human history. 

One of the vanishingly few individuals who give any sort of credence to great man theory, and he was both a good guy and w**k as most truly great leaders have to be.