Curry House In Scotland Wins Best Awards

ZingaliMan

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Barely, literally right off the platform at Gilmour Street.

Is that the place up stairs in Moss street ? If so I was in there before the first lock down. Curry was excellent ambience was lacking but hey hoo if the food is good.  

16 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Paisley is part of Glasgow.

Giving credence to the description?

57 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Is that the place up stairs in Moss street ? If so I was in there before the first lock down. Curry was excellent ambience was lacking but hey hoo if the food is good.  

Seems to be.

Ffs does no one understand the basic concept of these ‘award ceremonies’? 

An independent unaffiliated (let’s call them) ‘awards committee’ organise a cold call round a sector of an industry in a particular geography.

You need to buy in. And if you don’t, your local competitors will; and if they do, they will win! But if you buy in bigger, maybe take 3 or 4 tables at the awards gala, maybe you will have a better chance of a win! £1 if you work out who wins the prize on the evening? 

And other than 24hrs press in tomorrow’s chip wrapper and a plastic trophy, no one wins. And before then the ‘awards committee’ have already left for the next town..

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

An independent unaffiliated (let’s call them) ‘awards committee’ organise a cold call round a sector of an industry in a particular geography.

You need to buy in. And if you don’t, your local competitors will; and if they do, they will win! But if you buy in bigger, maybe take 3 or 4 tables at the awards gala, maybe you will have a better chance of a win! £1 if you work out who wins the prize on the evening? 

And other than 24hrs press in tomorrow’s chip wrapper and a plastic trophy, no one wins. And before then the ‘awards committee’ have already left for the next town..

^^

Runner-up in the Nation's Curry Awards

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I admire this level of cynicism greatly.

Because it's f*cking spot-on.

On 22/02/2023 at 23:47, alta-pete said:

If they have 10,000 members throughout the UK only one from each home nation can win. No member pays more than any other member.  As I was on the mainland yesterday I popped along for a carry out to take home and reheat. Lamb Jalfrezi , Fried Rice , Garlic & Coriander Nan. Total cost £18.00 Good to see the rice left with its natural colour . The Jalfrezi curry was up there with the best curries I have ever had full marks on flavour. I prefer Jalfrezi to have a wee bit more kick but over all the balance of flavour was excilant. Without doubt the best Nan bread I have ever had. Will defently be back and can recommend.  I'm a retired chef myself out with the UK have attended the Institute Of Thai Cooking . Have also worked with a Indian chef for two years picking up tips along the way only mention that as I know the food industry very well and ran my own business. Back to your point regarding awards. 100% there are great curry houses through out Scotland I know a few in Glasgow that are right up there. You won't get an award if your shit the award helps boost business and lets locals know they have a good one on their door step no bad thing. 

These awards mean little IMHO. That Anstruther fish place, for example, seems to be regarded as the holy grail of fish & chips. IMHO their chips are braw’ but their fish is mid-table respectability at best. Had better fish at a multitude of ‘ordinary’ chippys. Hey ho, opinions eh?

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

These awards mean little IMHO. That Anstruther fish place, for example, seems to be regarded as the holy grail of fish & chips. IMHO their chips are braw’ but their fish is mid-table respectability at best. Had better fish at a multitude of ‘ordinary’ chippys. Hey ho, opinions eh?

Agree with this.  There was a chippy on West Nile Street in Glasgow (I think) that was always getting awards, and I never found it more than passable.  You're better off looking at online reviews, but even there it's all subjective.  I'd talk to folk in my hometown (Kirkintilloch) about which was the best Indian place, and everyone would have different opinions.  Same for chippys.  Probably just depends when you go and what your taste is.  

3 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Agree with this.  There was a chippy on West Nile Street in Glasgow (I think) that was always getting awards, and I never found it more than passable.  You're better off looking at online reviews, but even there it's all subjective.  I'd talk to folk in my hometown (Kirkintilloch) about which was the best Indian place, and everyone would have different opinions.  Same for chippys.  Probably just depends when you go and what your taste is.  

Indian Cottage?