Free Agency 2023

peasy23

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Not sure what the Titans are up to tbh, they seem to be in rebuild mode but also keeping Tannehill, if they're in rebuild mode it would seem like a good season to eat some dead cap and get a few picks for next year, even lottery ticket ones which could be used to trade up if need be.

I've not been super impressed by the Bills in FA, getting Poyer back is good with a massive if he can stay fit, the guy played through about 5 separate injuries last year including travelling 15 hours each way by road to Kansas City with a punctured lung as he wasn't cleared to fly. Tough AF but probably reckless.

The others they've retained so far seem to be bottom end of the roster / core STs players, and aware there's not the cap room or draft capital for a splash move, just all at bit meh especially as 2 of the other 3 AFC East teams seem to be going balls to the wall to catch up.

Tannehill isn’t good early bait, but might be very good late bait, maybe even after this years draft. After all, the Titans rebuild will take a couple of years, and with 11 and 41 right now, they could easily get a second tier QB this year to sit for a year or two behind a journeyman they pick up after Tannehill gets shipped off to wherever needs a middling QB badly. With Willis still,on the roster, you could even start him instead of picking up someone. You think Tannehill might not be movable, but with the Titans at around $15M in cap space, and the ability to generate an estimated $16M or more with some restructuring, they could add to their $36m in dead money in a trade to stuff more dead money into 2023 and set themselves up to do things in 2024-2025. If they’ve finally decided Tannehill isn’t it, that’s an option.

If they are playing for the 2024 draft, it’s looking a bit OL and DL strong, and lots of mid-level QB talent…so maybe just run with Willis after pawning Tannehill off to someone like the Raiders (assuming they can finagle the cap, but they need a competent backup with Jimmy G starting). Plus, after June 1, cutting Tannehill would give about $27M in cap space, so there’s another reason to wait.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Tannehill isn’t good early bait, but might be very good late bait, maybe even after this years draft. After all, the Titans rebuild will take a couple of years, and with 11 and 41 right now, they could easily get a second tier QB this year to sit for a year or two behind a journeyman they pick up after Tannehill gets shipped off to wherever needs a middling QB badly. With Willis still,on the roster, you could even start him instead of picking up someone. You think Tannehill might not be movable, but with the Titans at around $15M in cap space, and the ability to generate an estimated $16M or more with some restructuring, they could add to their $36m in dead money in a trade to stuff more dead money into 2023 and set themselves up to do things in 2024-2025. If they’ve finally decided Tannehill isn’t it, that’s an option.

If they are playing for the 2024 draft, it’s looking a bit OL and DL strong, and lots of mid-level QB talent…so maybe just run with Willis after pawning Tannehill off to someone like the Raiders (assuming they can finagle the cap, but they need a competent backup with Jimmy G starting). Plus, after June 1, cutting Tannehill would give about $27M in cap space, so there’s another reason to wait.

Tannehill will be quite attractive to the teams currently have no viable QB and come out of the draft still in that same position. FWIW I think only Stroud and Young are anywhere close to day 1 starters, so there are inevitably going to be a few teams around who still have no viable starter going into minicamps. I have no idea how the Titans view Willis, but from what little I saw of him he still looks miles off being an NFL QB, but if you are going to accept one mediocre year where W/L isn't a consideration in any case I don't see any reason not to just throw him in the deep-end and move Tannehill on. 

I think the Colts will take Levis at #4 (even though I think he will struggle early and ultimately become another Wentz), and I could see the Raiders taking a flyer on Richardson at #7 even though I think that's far too high for him and there's a 90% chance he never makes it as an NFL starter. I'd also say I don't think the Raiders should be taking a future QB just yet when JG is not exactly ancient and they have holes all over their D. I'd offset that by saying that I think AR is potentially an elite talent so I can see the temptation, but the chances of him ever sorting out his awful fundamentals are tiny, hence why I think it's a 90% chance he busts. There is a chance nobody bites though and he makes it through the top 15 and becomes a project for one of the teams with a legit starter already.

Looking at who else might still be standing with their dicks in the wind come May, the Commanders are the only one that really stands out to me as having no clear and obvious starting QB on the roster. Ok, you could say the same for Atlanta and Tampa, but I think their plans to just stand pat and go with Ridder/Heinicke and Trask/Mayfield look more credible than just going into the season with Sam Howell as your QB, but Wash has done the whole re-tread vet thing to death and I don't think Tannehill would be particularly attractive to them, but what are the alternatives? Pick up another day 2/3 guy in the draft? Bring in Matt Ryan despite him looking completely washed up? They're not going to get a guy in this draft who will likely outperform Howell because #1 & #2 are set, it would be ridiculous to trade up to get Levis, and AR is nowhere close to being NFL ready. The only other option would be to bring in some complete tripe like Bridgewater, and if you are going to do that, then for all his flaws you might as well just bite the bullet and go after Tannehill anyway. He's still a better option than any of the guys who are currently still available in FA. The Rams want to move Stafford on, but at his age, salary, and with his recent injury history, I don't see that as a viable get for any team that isn't 'a QB away'.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Tannehill will be quite attractive to the teams currently have no viable QB and come out of the draft still in that same position. FWIW I think only Stroud and Young are anywhere close to day 1 starters, so there are inevitably going to be a few teams around who still have no viable starter going into minicamps. I have no idea how the Titans view Willis, but from what little I saw of him he still looks miles off being an NFL QB, but if you are going to accept one mediocre year where W/L isn't a consideration in any case I don't see any reason not to just throw him in the deep-end and move Tannehill on. 

I think the Colts will take Levis at #4 (even though I think he will struggle early and ultimately become another Wentz), and I could see the Raiders taking a flyer on Richardson at #7 even though I think that's far too high for him and there's a 90% chance he never makes it as an NFL starter. I'd also say I don't think the Raiders should be taking a future QB just yet when JG is not exactly ancient and they have holes all over their D. I'd offset that by saying that I think AR is potentially an elite talent so I can see the temptation, but the chances of him ever sorting out his awful fundamentals are tiny, hence why I think it's a 90% chance he busts. There is a chance nobody bites though and he makes it through the top 15 and becomes a project for one of the teams with a legit starter already.

Looking at who else might still be standing with their dicks in the wind come May, the Commanders are the only one that really stands out to me as having no clear and obvious starting QB on the roster. Ok, you could say the same for Atlanta and Tampa, but I think their plans to just stand pat and go with Ridder/Heinicke and Trask/Mayfield look more credible than just going into the season with Sam Howell as your QB, but Wash has done the whole re-tread vet thing to death and I don't think Tannehill would be particularly attractive to them, but what are the alternatives? Pick up another day 2/3 guy in the draft? Bring in Matt Ryan despite him looking completely washed up? They're not going to get a guy in this draft who will likely outperform Howell because #1 & #2 are set, it would be ridiculous to trade up to get Levis, and AR is nowhere close to being NFL ready. The only other option would be to bring in some complete tripe like Bridgewater, and if you are going to do that, then for all his flaws you might as well just bite the bullet and go after Tannehill anyway. He's still a better option than any of the guys who are currently still available in FA. The Rams want to move Stafford on, but at his age, salary, and with his recent injury history, I don't see that as a viable get for any team that isn't 'a QB away'.

I'm not too sure what the Titans are planning on this season tbh. However if we stick as we are we could well have $130m in cap space next year.. 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/01/tennessee-titans-salary-cap-space-2024/

(That also has a good link to a cap space calculator)

I would prefer we started Willis this year and added a WR or 2, like Hardman or Goodwin. Give him a season of constant games. If it works great, if not then we can get in a new QB next year, because we are going nowhere with Tannehill anyway, why not give Willis a proper go. Hopefully Burks will also be fit this year.

Bit 'meh' on this. Would have preferred an upgrade in the TE deep draft, but it's a known quantity added to a thin TE room. Another Charger who only really seems to come alive on the goal line. I suppose they could still take a TE and bin McKitty, who is yet another Telesco day 1/2 draft choice who has done absolutely nothing to merit the pick.

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don’t buy Levis at #4, he’s a late ones or early twos. Because he is a QB, you take them late one to get the fifth year option…but any higher than 10-15 is crazy. Richardson I feel similar about but the Lions and Raiders (6 & 7) are both mentioned as possible teams…I think too high.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I'm not too sure what the Titans are planning on this season tbh. However if we stick as we are we could well have $130m in cap space next year.. 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/01/tennessee-titans-salary-cap-space-2024/

(That also has a good link to a cap space calculator)

I would prefer we started Willis this year and added a WR or 2, like Hardman or Goodwin. Give him a season of constant games. If it works great, if not then we can get in a new QB next year, because we are going nowhere with Tannehill anyway, why not give Willis a proper go. Hopefully Burks will also be fit this year.

Thats what I’m thinking, toss Willis in the deep end and see what you’ve got by seasons end. Besides a good draft position,, you’ll know if Willis can be made a  NFL starter, or maybe even a good starter. This year, rather than add WR, add line help, because linemen generally take a year or two to develop unless they were first rounders. WR’s that contribute can be found all the time, even first year from well beyond the third round.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don’t buy Levis at #4, he’s a late ones or early twos. Because he is a QB, you take them late one to get the fifth year option…but any higher than 10-15 is crazy. Richardson I feel similar about but the Lions and Raiders (6 & 7) are both mentioned as possible teams…I think too high.

On talent alone I'd agree with you about Levis, but I don't tend to get into trade-downs etc when speculating about the draft, and as the Colts have said they are done with re-tread QB's then Levis is their only real option... unless the Texans decide against Young/Stroud at #2 and stick with Mills, but I think they'd be silly to do that because they not only pass up a decent QB prospect but hand him straight to a divisional rival. 

Given that Indi has steered clear of the FA market entirely, I think it is feasible they go into the draft looking for a trade down to pick up Levis or Richardson at a more reasonable spot, but that presents an enormous risk of being gazzumped unless they are doing it in multiple steps. Trading down from #4 is a different proposition from trading down from the middle of the first to the end of it, because the QB class is thin and you can only really do it with any comfort if you are happy not getting a QB at all. Indi need to land a viable QB early in the draft unless they are comfortable going with a day 2/3 guy and putting some crap like Teddy Bridgewater under C for a bit, and so far they've been adamant they aren't going to do that.

15 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

On talent alone I'd agree with you about Levis, but I don't tend to get into trade-downs etc when speculating about the draft, and as the Colts have said they are done with re-tread QB's then Levis is their only real option... unless the Texans decide against Young/Stroud at #2 and stick with Mills, but I think they'd be silly to do that because they not only pass up a decent QB prospect but hand him straight to a divisional rival. 

Given that Indi has steered clear of the FA market entirely, I think it is feasible they go into the draft looking for a trade down to pick up Levis or Richardson at a more reasonable spot, but that presents an enormous risk of being gazzumped unless they are doing it in multiple steps. Trading down from #4 is a different proposition from trading down from the middle of the first to the end of it, because the QB class is thin and you can only really do it with any comfort if you are happy not getting a QB at all. Indi need to land a viable QB early in the draft unless they are comfortable going with a day 2/3 guy and putting some crap like Teddy Bridgewater under C for a bit, and so far they've been adamant they aren't going to do that.

Indy can drop a long ways and have McKee as a fall back…again, he may be a 2nd round talent, but picking him in the first gets that vital extra year option for a QB.

18 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I'm happy with that, as well as Seattle's other FA business so far. 

Big draft needed to see if we can reclaim the divisional title, then move on from there.

FLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith believes the league is "taking a stand" on not signing Lamar Jackson in order to prevent quarterbacks from getting fully guaranteed contracts.

“The NFL wants to send a message to all of the stars that they will not get a fully guaranteed contract, simply because other first-ballot Hall of Famers didn’t get them and — if they can help it — because Jackson didn’t get one, either.” Smith calls the lack of interest in Jackson a coordinated effort from the league to keep guaranteed contracts from becoming a trend. Jackson getting a guaranteed contract would lead to fully guaranteed deals for Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, and Jalen Hurts. The league-wide backlash from the Browns' Deshaun Watson contract has left no team interested in even talking to Jackson on the non-exclusive franchise tag.

When is this complete and utter shite narrative going to die on it's arse like the nonsense it is?

The notion that in a QB hungry league teams are colluding to avoid Jackson on a point of principle is risible. He's not even going cost absolute premium numbers, it's the simple fact nobody, even the team who controls him, is comfortable giving him top QB dollar when he simply is not and never has been an elite pocket passer, and is also showing alarming signs of being an injury crock.

There are two aspects of this I find interesting. First of all, every single person I've seen putting this accusation forward has been black, so it certainly appears as if there is an assertion that he's the victim of racist discrimination even if it's not being expressly said, because it's clear as day they believe that a white QB with his resume would have no such trouble landing a deal.

Secondly, the same people invariably put forward the 'unanimous league MVP' as some sort of reason why it's absurd that nobody is offering him the deal he wants. First of all, that point is up with Dilfer >>> Marino in terms of an utterly idiotic way to evaluate a player, but they also refuse to acknowledge that the NFL is a passing league, he has only once surpassed 3000 passing yards which even 30 years ago would have been utterly mediocre, no WR of any sort of pedigree wants to play with him because it will invariably cripple their own earning power, and the guy still, as a 5 year vet, utterly shits the bed any time his primary read isn't wide open, can't read a coverage pre-snap, and forces his team to run a stone-age Offense because of his own limitations.

He is not the QB these people believe he is, nor is he a credible investment at his apparent asking price. It's that straightforward.

Lastly, the idea that nobody is giving him a deal because they are concerned about Herbert, Burrow, and Hurts' contract is hilarious. The teams that have to give these guys money have zero interest in Lamar Jackson because they already have a superior QB, so what that argument basically is, is "Baltimore, or NYJ, or some random unnamed NFL franchise don't want to pay LJ, because that means LAC, Cinci, and Philly will have to pay their guy". As if any other team gives a flying f**k about some random franchise's cap considerations. Owner collusion undoubtedly exists, but why would any team give any player a large contract if they were concerned about implications for other franchises? What is particular about Lamar Jackson?

If it's indeed true that he knocked back a fully guaranteed deal anyway, then the whole thing is rendered even more farcical.

Edited by Boo Khaki