🔵⚪️Saints v Buddies ⚫️⚪️ 25/02/23

10 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I would’ve agreed that he was quite far but the 10/15 minutes after half time swayed it. Just completely lost the run of himself for a bit. Could’ve forgiven the red card, but from my view, he was a foot away(appreciate I might’ve interpreted that worse than him). 

ETA: None of this Old Firm playing against 12 men pish. 

After the sending off, i thought the ref wasn't helped by the St Johnstone players in the early part of the 2nd half. They were appealing for fouls that weren't fouls. Stevie May was very close to being booked as was Hallberg for mouthing off- on both occasions the ref could have easily booked them both.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Unfortunately finance dictated both Reid and Erhahon leaving. If either of them were still with us we'd be in a much stronger position.

And the reason we have financial issues is spending beyond our means on established players from our rivals who could not compete with what we were offering. 

It is not a sustainable model imho.

Hopefully we can recoup some of the losses by achieving a top 6 finish but that might be detrimental depending on what bonuses are included in the players contracts. 

26 minutes ago, Munoz said:

After the sending off, i thought the ref wasn't helped by the St Johnstone players in the early part of the 2nd half. They were appealing for fouls that weren't fouls. Stevie May was very close to being booked as was Hallberg for mouthing off- on both occasions the ref could have easily booked them both.

To be fair, the reason for that was an absolutely blatant handball that he was looking straight at, in which the player seemed to lose the flight of it then leaned down and blocked it with his elbow. It was absolutely obvious and he tried to gesture that it had hit the t shirt line, which was just a nonsense.

I think we’re right to be frustrated with the red in that we’ve seen a far worse tackle in an earlier game going notably unpunished despite it going to VAR. Phillips isn’t even really making a tackle, he’s controlling the ball, but the outcome is ultimately his foot going into the opponents ankle and it looks horrendous.

Just in general I feel like football could benefit massively from moving away from the idea that if the sole of the boot connects with any point above the ankle it’s basically a red card and actually looking at the intent or the overall actual incident. If you’re sliding in out of control then fine, red card. If you’re stretching for the ball and go over the top you’re off. Same if there’s real excessive force. If you're clearly actually just trying to control the ball or you’ve played a pass and there’s nowhere else for your foot to go then maybe mitigate it down to a yellow. It’s shite watching games having men put off for completely unintentional collisions. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

To be fair, the reason for that was an absolutely blatant handball that he was looking straight at, in which the player seemed to lose the flight of it then leaned down and blocked it with his elbow. It was absolutely obvious and he tried to gesture that it had hit the t shirt line, which was just a nonsense.

I think we’re right to be frustrated with the red in that we’ve seen a far worse tackle in an earlier game going notably unpunished despite it going to VAR. Phillips isn’t even really making a tackle, he’s controlling the ball, but the outcome is ultimately his foot going into the opponents ankle and it looks horrendous.

Just in general I feel like football could benefit massively from moving away from the idea that if the sole of the boot connects with any point above the ankle it’s basically a red card and actually looking at the intent or the overall actual incident. If you’re sliding in out of control then fine, red card. If you’re stretching for the ball and go over the top you’re off. Same if there’s real excessive force. If you're clearly actually just trying to control the ball or you’ve played a pass and there’s nowhere else for your foot to go then maybe mitigate it down to a yellow. It’s shite watching games having men put off for completely unintentional collisions. 

I thought the contact wasn't intentional , just unfortunate timing , but the contact was potentially leg breaking and when a player makes contact with an opponent leg and nearly breaks it , it's a sending off . 

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

After the ticking off May got from the ref - which was as close as you can imagine without a yellow - the ref turned his back and you could see May saying “yah fucking p***k”. 

Don’t think VAR have lip readers?

That’s me just seen it back. That shouldn’t have been a red.

Sportscene studio are spot on, Phillips has turned and as he’s going to put his foot down Flynn has raced in and unluckily placed his foot exactly where Phillips is about to place his.

Looks bad, and hopefully Flynn is okay but the on-field decision was right. 

The game likely would have been a draw regardless so I’m not claiming it robbed us or anything, but the ref should have taken longer to consider it. As soon as a ref is called over in that situation you know he’s likely to go with what the VAR studio are basically implying. He probably saw the still that looks bad and immediately went with that.

Just watched the highlights. 

There’s no way that red card appeal will be successful. 

Despite “acquittal by Sportscene”. 

Phillips goes nowhere near the ball and stamps straight on Flynn’s shin. 

Oh, and talking about decisions, the free kick that led to St Johnstone’s goal.  Super soft. Hilarious the pundits saying the header was exactly what he meant too 😀!

8 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

when a player makes contact with an opponent leg and nearly breaks it , it's a sending off . 

There needs to be a cut off. If 2 players go for a header and one accidentally lands on the others knee as they land and breaks his leg, is that a red?

It feels like cards these days are based on the result of the tackle more than the actual tackle, especially with VAR then showing slow mo, zoomed in, replays and pausing at the point of contact. You lose all context.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There needs to be a cut off. If 2 players go for a header and one accidentally lands on the others knee as they land and breaks his leg, is that a red?

It feels like cards these days are based on the result of the tackle more than the actual tackle, especially with VAR then showing slow mo, zoomed in, replays and pausing at the point of contact. You lose all context.

Agreed. At full speed I didn't even think it was a foul. The replay looks horrible so I can see why it was given but Phillips is so unlucky. I don't think you can say that it's reckless. 

All that said, I think that would be given as a red card more often than not these days, so I'll be surprised if it's overturned.

7 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Oh, and talking about decisions, the free kick that led to St Johnstone’s goal.  Super soft. Hilarious the pundits saying the header was exactly what he meant too 😀!

It was a bit soft, though I felt it was for the a grab and shove a second or two before the final bump of Rudden into touch.

I thought a couple of st Mirren players were lucky to escape bookings in the first half. There was a foul over in your left back position where Drey Wright had beaten the defender and had loads of space in front of him to drive into the box and pick a pass when he was brought down that I thought would have been a guaranteed booking.

Thought the ref was poor, a real attitude on the wee Gollum like creature, but it looked like a draw all day anyway. Or a 1-1 stalemate as the BBC have explained to us.

Small looked a threat before he tired yesterday. Provides the opposite of Tanser going forward, pace and power, albeit a bit raw. Didn't realise he is only 18. 

If he could get his crossing up to the standard of Strain or even Tanser he will be some player.

Again just a shame the squad is so thin just now. If Tanser starts and Small comes on for the last 30 that could have made a huge difference.

Taking Gallagher, Baccus, Ayunga, Tanser, Erhahon (fair enough we sold him) out the starting 11 and the fact we lost Grieve and Tait from the bench, to be in the position we are shows how ridiculous our home form has actually been. Clinging onto the position with our finger nails a bit now though. 

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

And the reason we have financial issues is spending beyond our means on established players from our rivals who could not compete with what we were offering. 

It is not a sustainable model imho.

Hopefully we can recoup some of the losses by achieving a top 6 finish but that might be detrimental depending on what bonuses are included in the players contracts. 

It's a sustainable model, if we sell the players for profit.

What has fucked us up, is the clusterfuck of an overspend at Ralston.

It's not without risk, but I'd much rather we took a punt on players, rather than being involved a relegation fight every year. The last couple of years have been quite enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Small looked a threat before he tired yesterday. Provides the opposite of Tanser going forward, pace and power, albeit a bit raw. Didn't realise he is only 18. 

Didnt realise he was that young but aye, clear he can go far in the game.

Drey Wright looked scared to try and beat him at points, probably because he could tell Small was much quicker than him, and i cant remember seeing that this season.

Good to see plenty of people agreeing with my opinion that if it’s obviously accidental then it shouldn’t be a red.

Absolutely it could have been a leg breaker but still a purely accidental collision. 

And of course I understand wishing the player Flynn well, but I’m sure he’s fine since he played on until the 80th minute! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think the facts that the studs were raised and caught Flynn square on the ankle were the main reasons it was deemed a red. Rightly or wrongly it becomes a dangerous/reckless challenge, even if it appears unintentional.

If Philips makes contact with the side of his boot or toe, then I doubt that red card would have been shown. Possibly not even a yellow.

4 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Good to see plenty of people agreeing with my opinion that if it’s obviously accidental then it shouldn’t be a red.

Absolutely it could have been a leg breaker but still a purely accidental collision. 

And of course I understand wishing the player Flynn well, but I’m sure he’s fine since he played on until the 80th minute! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sadly for you, your opinion,or others on here, mean the square root of fuck all. However, if it makes you feel better, then fill your boots.

The current rules, as evidenced by many red cards both pre and post Var, indicate that raised studs coming into contact with a players ankle/knee/head, whether it's intentional or not, results in a red card.

We benefitted from it yesterday and against Livingston. However, we've been on the receiving end too with incidents involving Captain Joe and Marcus Fraser.