🔵⚪️Saints v Buddies ⚫️⚪️ 25/02/23

Big game.

A st mirren win sees our outside hopes of top six disappear. A St Johnstone win and we’re within 3 points of them.

A draw wouldn’t be a huge shock. Imagine it’ll be a bit of a tight hard fought affair with few chances.

st Mirren have brought a good support to McDiarmid the past couple of seasons. Would be good if we went back to putting away crowds in the north stand so there’s a bit of banter between the two supports as at Tannadice last weekend.

But I imagine the massive security risk of a Saint v Buddies match rules that option out…

Edited by PauloPerth

Always a fixture I dread.

St.Johnstone with a honking home record, St.Mirren with a honking away record. A marvellous combination.

Our win at McDiarmid towards the end of last season was the only time we've even managed to score a goal in Perth in any of our last 9 visits and I still have nightmares about the 3-0 scudding we took there in September.

Hoping that either Baccus and/or Gogic might be back in contention for us, yet to hear what the script is with big Dec.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Our win at McDiarmid towards the end of last season was the only time we've even managed to score a goal in Perth in any of our last 9 visits

That seems incredible. Always think of these as fairly close with the exception of that 3-0 you mention and a 2-0 going on 6 in 2018 when your keeper played a blinder and we missed two penalties. Tanser, Shaughnessy and Watt all started for us that day.

A good bet is Tony Watt to score anytime.  He’s scored against us for Celtic, Motherwell and Dundee United so it feels inevitable.

1 hour ago, Div said:

St.Johnstone with a honking home record, St.Mirren with a honking away record. A marvellous combination.

Our win at McDiarmid towards the end of last season was the only time we've even managed to score a goal in Perth in any of our last 9 visits and I still have nightmares about the 3-0 scudding we took there in September.

Hoping that either Baccus and/or Gogic might be back in contention for us, yet to hear what the script is with big Dec.

Have you heard that our manager has noticed that we have better results away from home? Two teams playing like they’re the away team. This is shaping up to be a really entertaining game.

1 hour ago, Div said:

The way he pulled up I’d expect he’d be out for a few weeks at least sadly.

Could certainly do with Gogic or/and Baccus back.  Even although the midfield did well on Saturday those two out really cut down our options.

7 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Could certainly do with Gogic or/and Baccus back.  Even although the midfield did well on Saturday those two out really cut down our options.

Yeah I don't expect to see Dec on Saturday unfortunately.

Shags will come in for him and I guess Murray Campbell will be the central defensive option from the bench.

Middle of the park is indeed a dilemma.

Would be harsh to drop Flynn after that display on Saturday and I always feel we look more dangerous with Kiltie in the team.

But............

Whilst Gogic was a shambles at Fir Park, this is exactly his sort of game, and you'd always find room for Baccus.

Guess at least if both are back as you say then it drastically improves our options off the bench either way.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Don't fancy us for this one at all. The prospect of St Johnstone reeling us in a-fucking-gain making me feel slightly sick.

Aye, definitely got a feeling of inevitably about it. Especially as most of this forum tipped them to finish 12th, iirc.

If we can perform like we did at Tynecastle and Parkhead, we could have a chance, but we won't show up in Perth, same way we didn't show up at Fir Park. 

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Big game.

A st mirren win sees our outside hopes of top six disappear. A St Johnstone win and we’re within 3 points of them.

A draw wouldn’t be a huge shock. Imagine it’ll be a bit of a tight hard fought affair with few chances.

st Mirren have brought a good support to McDiarmid the past couple of seasons. Would be good if we went back to putting away crowds in the north stand so there’s a bit of banter between the two supports as at Tannadice last weekend.

But I imagine the massive security risk of a Saint v Buddies match rules that option out…

Can we have 3 stands please?, thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

He had his hands on his head in despair tears in his eyes. Looking at his reaction it looked very serious. Ligament hope it's not snapped or he will be out for months. 

24 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

He had his hands on his head in despair tears in his eyes. Looking at his reaction it looked very serious. Ligament hope it's not snapped or he will be out for months. 

He was probably still just crying about being called a reject.

Just dropping that in for the Aberdeen fans that we all know are still crawling round our matchday threads.

Saturday was a bit of a surprise considering the shocking performance at Motherwell a few days before; half the squad injured and a bench of untried teenagers. However we blew RC away and should have won that by considerably more goals. Injury list is still horrendous and getting worse with Dec and Tanser taken off on Sat but one or two others may come back into contention. on the bench if not starting. Hard game but surely we have to start winning Away sometime?

20 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Injury list is still horrendous and getting worse

Dont worry. We dont change our approach based on our opponents, so your injury list is fairly irrelevant.

Managers spoken about wanting to replicate our more cautious approach in away games in home games so we'd be destined to sitting back and trying to counter whoever we faced i fear.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dont worry. We dont change our approach based on our opponents, so your injury list is fairly irrelevant.

Managers spoken about wanting to replicate our more cautious approach in away games in home games so we'd be destined to sitting back and trying to counter whoever we faced i fear.

The ball might not leave the centre circle.