The Ton v Paul Hartley's Cove Rangers, 25-2-23

It would be the most Morton thing ever to follow up wins against the top 2 by spunking away points against an unsettled Cove team... let's hope the Imrie effect means those days are behind us.

Sub-plot is of course the return to Cappielow of everybody's favourite former loan player: memories of watching him look like Pirlo at times in his very brief spell with us have been eclipsed by the horrible wee man he appears to be as a manager. His comments in 2014 will, quite rightly, never be forgiven. Get him hounded.

2-1 Morton.

I concur with your point, though I feel our style of play under Dougie is suited to playing attacking teams like QP and Dundee more than teams who sit in hoping for a point but will counter attack and sometimes get the 3 points. So I feel this will be a big test of how we can break a defence down and create/convert the chances to take the 3 points. 

58 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I concur with your point, though I feel our style of play under Dougie is suited to playing attacking teams like QP and Dundee more than teams who sit in hoping for a point but will counter attack and sometimes get the 3 points. So I feel this will be a big test of how we can break a defence down and create/convert the chances to take the 3 points. 

I'm not so sure. We went at Dundee from the kick-off on Friday night and should have been two up after the first twenty minutes; it wasn't a case of them attacking us and us taking advantage, just us getting on the front foot from the first whistle.

I agree it becomes a problem against more defensive sides if we don't get a goal first or early, but I suspect the issue is more about our own players' mindset: Imrie has referred a couple of times to players 'thinking they're better than they are' and that's more likely to come into play in the games against the so-called lesser teams.

Dundee and QP have much better players than Cove, so if we can start fast and play with the same energy and commitment as in the last two games, there's really no excuse for not winning.

After beating us narrowly at a wind swept Balmoral back in late November, the Ton had a difficult spell in December and January with 3 draws and 3 losses in the league. The losses were narrow though, all one goal margins, but two very impressive wins of late will mean confidence is very high. Watched the Friday night game against Dundee and was very impressed with the dynamism, creativity and attacking threat especially in the first half. Could have went into the break 2-0 up quite easily. Defensively looked fairly solid as well so it will be a tough match for us. Without Strapp, Muirhead and Gillespie too.

We've clearly had a disastrous January whereby everything that could have gone wrong has along with injuries to some key players. Hartley's recruitment has been poor as well which adds to our woes. 

Gimi Toure looked lively for us last weekend against Arbroath. Gives us some creativity and trickery in the final third but without a second striker to compliment Mitch we look a bit toothless upfront. Even playing Leighton, who to his credit has scored a few and given us some threat, would be an improvement at the moment. 

In the middle of the pitch is were we are struggling without Fyvie and Yule and the long gone Gilmour. Grimshaw is everything that Miko and Bangala aren't sadly. Doubt both will play this week given their insipid display last time out.

Suspect we'll make 1 or 2 signings this week. Their calibre will go along way to whether we will take anything from the match. Ton will be favourites and looking for a third straight win. We desperately need points. Our next 4 games are Dundee (h), QP (a), Ayr (a) and Raith(a) so all tough.

Sadly can't make this game but was at Cappielow at the start of the season. Fingers crossed for a more benign day than the last fixture between the sides. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, Chippyminton said:

Your posts are always objective and fair, CR1922. Unlike anything ever posted by a Dees fan throughout the entire history of the forum. 

Thanks, try and say it how I see it. 

If I were a Morton fan I'd smell blood and be wanting 3 points at home against a team struggling for survival and at best in a  transitional state. We are getting slightly better and could throw a surprise but I wouldn't wager too much on it as we are placed right now. We should make it competitive.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

We should go into this flying but we've struggled against the "smaller" teams in this division, we simply can't allow that to happen on Sat if we want top 4.( or better)

We don't know how long Gillespie, Muirhead and Miller are out for and it looked like Quitongo has picked up a knock too so we could be down to the bare bones on Saturday again. Hopefully a few of them are back in contention.

Really liked the midfield trio of Blues, Grimshaw and Crawford on Fri so would be reluctant to change that. Back 4 was solid too.

Cove will be a test but one we should be looking to win. 

2-0.

17 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thanks, try and say it how I see it. 

If I were a Morton fan I'd smell blood and be wanting 3 points at home against a team struggling for survival and at best in a  transitional state. We are getting slightly better and could throw a surprise but I wouldn't wager too much on it as we are placed right now. We should make it competitive.

And fair play to you for doing so. I'm quite sure Cove will give of their absolute best and make it as difficult as possible for us. Some so-called ‘easy’ games have proved to be banana skins for us. But there are no easy games in this looney-tunes league, with anyone seeming capable of beating anyone else on the day. Good luck to you.

Edited by Chippyminton

15 hours ago, madton said:

We should go into this flying but we've struggled against the "smaller" teams in this division, we simply can't allow that to happen on Sat if we want top 4.( or better)

We don't know how long Gillespie, Muirhead and Miller are out for and it looked like Quitongo has picked up a knock too so we could be down to the bare bones on Saturday again. Hopefully a few of them are back in contention.

Really liked the midfield trio of Blues, Grimshaw and Crawford on Fri so would be reluctant to change that. Back 4 was solid too.

Cove will be a test but one we should be looking to win. 

2-0.

Agreed, MT. Jai's knock looked like a groin strain to me - but he's a big, tough laddie and these normally fix quite quickly, so fingers crossed. Have a listen to the 'Just One Cornetto' podcast about the Dundee game - they're pretty much paraphrasing exactly what you said. Blues had a stellar game, so did Pigniatello - and as you say, the back 4 were superb. We're at the stage now where the top 4/5 are very closely matched and single results can often have a significant effect on positions - it's very much a case of remaining totally consistent, and waiting for the other contenders to screw up.

Edited by Chippyminton

Tricky game tomorrow as both games so far were close but on paper, we're now expected to win. While we're having a very good season, we don't have the quality in the team to play poorly, barely turn up and win. There can be no room for complacency - if the players are off their game by 10% then we'll lose just as meekly we did to Arbroath, twice. 

Big opportunity to consolidate our position after this evening's result. 

Cove starting lineup as below. Full debut for MOH and two up top in Mitch and Leighton which should mean we have a goal threat.

Not a fan of Kyle McClleland and quite surprised to see him start. Should have some protection alongside Reynolds and Neill but we're a good centre back away from solidarity in that area.

Luis unfortunate to not get a start but he and Toure are good options from the bench.

Should be a decent game..

Cove have done a terrific job of pressing us in midfield here and turning it into possession. We've had spells of being tidy on the ball but very rarely created anything with it - McGrattan's horrendous sitter aside - and the number of balls Cove have been able to put into the box were always going to result in a goal eventually.

Hard to see us turning this round with the way the game has gone so far, but we at least have options to change things on the bench for once.