Raith vs Ayr, 24/2/2023

8 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Just watched the Ian Murray interview. Not sure what game he was watching in the second half but there’s absolutely zero chance we ‘just shaded it as the better team’ in that half. Came out asleep after half time as usual and gave away a penalty. Then the last half an hour was pretty much constant Ayr pressure with us mostly booting it clear and handed possession back to Ayr. His post match assessments are usually pretty spot on but he’s way off the mark there. 

There was a 10/15 minute period before Maguire came on where Raith were well on top IMO…

25 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I’m no overally clued up on ultras etiquette, but I think that’s what happens when one fan group steals another’s flag. 

I didn't realise that was Ayr fans tbh

11 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Just watched the Ian Murray interview. Not sure what game he was watching in the second half but there’s absolutely zero chance we ‘just shaded it as the better team’ in that half. Came out asleep after half time as usual and gave away a penalty. Then the last half an hour was pretty much constant Ayr pressure with us mostly booting it clear and handed possession back to Ayr. His post match assessments are usually pretty spot on but he’s way off the mark there. 

I don't think he's massively wide of the mark. It was a complete non event of a game. Macdonald saving the penalty is pretty much the only thing of note that happened in the second half. It was a fair point for both teams, who where both largely absolute pish. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There was a 10/15 minute period before Maguire came on where Raith were well on top IMO…

Aye we were camped in and we couldn’t clear the ball beyond the halfway line. Don’t think Raith really created anything clear cut but they had us penned right back and should’ve done more. 

At the end of the day we’ve missed a penalty and an absolute sitter whilst Raith never really created a really good chance. It’s two points dropped for us and a point gained for Raith regardless of how the teams played over the piece. 

In hindsight, I think we'd have gotten on better with Goncalves in the first half and Akio running behind once the game had stretched later on, but that's not a criticism of Murray. I'd have started Akio too. 

Goncalves isn't going to contribute if you're not getting the ball to him in and around the box. He gamely tried to beat a couple of men around about the halfway line, but even if he beats them, he's not going to go fifty yards and put the ball in the net. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Absolute nonsense

Frustrating sums that up for both sides, I think. Some absolutely dismal finishing on display. Given we survived a penalty following a clumsy challenge, I'll gladly take the point. It nevertheless remains highly irritating that a prolonged unbeaten run has notched up so few league wins. 

Akio is not a Centre Forward and we should avoid playing him like one. Focus on getting him running at defenders rather than using him as a target man. Goncalves coming on looked like the right change at the time, but we didn't use him correctly either, and expected too much running out of a player that doesn't have much pace. Goncalves' woeful shot at the end just annoyed me as well. 

I don't think we played particularly badly overall, but it's just yet another of those many occasions where there's just been a total lack of quality in front of goal. Easton looked very lively, but his shooting was absolutely honking. 

I felt sorry for and was frustrated with Easton, both in equal measures. He should be putting his laces through those chances every now and again instead of trying the curling effort.  Connolly can be guilty of that as well.  Great to watch when it works, but annoying as hell when it doesn't work after about 5 times.

6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It would be great to get there from a financial point of view but we've just not got the quality up front. We just can't seem to beat the teams above us and if we can't do that we're not going to catch them. 5th or 6th would be a decent effort this season. 

The reality is the money differences between 5th and 10th in the Championship aren’t huge…around £25-30k per place, while 5th to 4th is nearly triple that. Anywhere between 5th and 8th is pretty close to a wash, as I’d certainly hope they budgeted for no more than 6th or 7th with a new manager coming in.

Thought Ayr came and set up for a point.

we were too slow and ponderous going forward, especially on breakawys, perhaps the schedule of the last few weeks has caught up on us.

Seems the lifespan of a tier 7 English centre forward is 6 months, like Duku and Adeloyi before him, any bid should have been taken in January

Awful game. Pre-Christmas Dipo scores at least one of those two chances but Post Christmas Dipo looks exhausted, fed-up and frustrated, which is hardly surprising when you look at how we set up. We need to change the way we play or this season will just fizzle out to a 6th ir 7th place finish.

When McGuire said he'd "kept himself ticking over" did anyone think to check he hadn't done it by jogging to McD's?  Touch is OK but zero pace and was blowing out his arse after 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Thought Ayr came and set up for a point.

we were too slow and ponderous going forward, especially on breakawys, perhaps the schedule of the last few weeks has caught up on us.

Seems the lifespan of a tier 7 English centre forward is 6 months, like Duku and Adeloyi before him, any bid should have been taken in January

ive-been-looking-forward-to-this-dooku.gif.809f30cd2d7fb3f94ca60ba2d15a6521.gif

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Tbf, without Adeloye we would have definitely been relegated last year. Created the rare bright spark in an otherwise atrocious season, especially in the 2nd half.

Not that anyone was bidding for him in January though.

Don’t think it’s a coincidence we’ve lacked creativity since Chalmers left and it’s left Dipo having to drop a lot deeper to get the ball and he’s now trying to be the creative spark rather than being in and around the goal as much. Would love to see average position stats of him pre and post Chalmers leaving. Seems to be playing 10/20 yards deeper. Also Murdoch being out is s factor as well.

11 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Outstanding, bunch of utter clownshoes. Setting off smoke flares at a penalty save too while the security dude standing next to them did the square root of feck all about it. Wee erse should be made to put the flare out by eating it. 

Going to look for trouble is cringe worthy I agree, but personally I've no problem with the flare being set off.

Let's face it; Stark's would be one of the shittest atmospheres going without the young supporters bouncing about.