Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was going to suggest Goodwin as a manger may be limited and not what Dundee United need at this point in time. However after reading the input from St Mirren fans I may be a bit late. Most Aberdeen fans tried to give Goodwin the benefit of the doubt until the dreaded 42 days but boy St Mirren fans hate him.

9 hours ago, Jobby1 said:

Was going to suggest Goodwin as a manger may be limited and not what Dundee United need at this point in time. However after reading the input from St Mirren fans I may be a bit late. Most Aberdeen fans tried to give Goodwin the benefit of the doubt until the dreaded 42 days but boy St Mirren fans hate him.

Dreaded 42 days - dreaded 7 days according to the man himself!  

22 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Would be very surprised if Mulgrew doesn't end up in the same boat Scott Brown did at Aberdeen when Goodwin took over. Jim can't handle players with any sort of ego. 

Getting Mulgrew to f**k would be a very good move for Jim Goodwin tbh

11 hours ago, Jobby1 said:

St Mirren supporters don’t hate Jim Goodwin. He’s our League Cup Winning captain and an absolute legend. Also came across as a throughly good person with a number of community things.

In terms of Jim Goodwin the manager:

1. some fans were a bit pissed off that he said he would be at the club in the longer-term at a fans forum, then left a week later.

2. We were an incredibly streaky team. Long periods of no wins, but then a great burst of victories.

3. He probably struggled to adapt from playing ‘backs to the wall’ type football and hitting on the counter, to an attacking team. He might be what United need in that sense, but he needs to get over being an expansive football type manager.

4. He seems like a bit of a control freak so also takes all of the training. I don’t know if he needs a stronger assistant or maybe an attacking lead coach, but think this one of his downfalls.

Would I take Goodwin over Robinson though? Absolutely not.

Youd think Stephen Robinson had St Mirren playing Barca-esque football as they cruise to 3rd and a cup win the way they bleat on about him.

Virtually every thread about any manager has them telling the forum they wouldnt swap anyone for Robinson.

Give it 12 months.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youd think Stephen Robinson had St Mirren playing Barca-esque football as they cruise to 3rd and a cup win the way they bleat on about him.

Virtually every thread about any manager has them telling the forum they wouldnt swap anyone for Robinson.

Give it 12 months.

I always find that weird as well, I think the last time I checked Goodwin and Robinson had pretty similar records at St Mirren.

23 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I always find that weird as well, I think the last time I checked Goodwin and Robinson had pretty similar records at St Mirren.

Like the folk you see on Twitter telling you how much better they are with their new partner, whos definitely much better than the previous one who dumped them.

6 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Would be very surprised if Mulgrew doesn't end up in the same boat Scott Brown did at Aberdeen when Goodwin took over. Jim can't handle players with any sort of ego. 

6 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Getting Mulgrew to f**k would be a very good move for Jim Goodwin tbh

Are they not pals?

17 hours ago, Jobby1 said:

I suppose the donkeys could chew on his beard...

18 hours ago, Jobby1 said:

I doubt that they do. I certainly don't.

He's our (most recent) cup winning captain and a bit of a club legend.

I thought it was a classic case of ambition outweighing ability when he left, and it would seem that I was proved right.

Now that he's at a smaller club with lower expectations, he might do a job. Although, quick turnarounds really aren't his thing, going by his last two jobs.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like the folk you see on Twitter telling you how much better they are with their new partner, whos definitely much better than the previous one who dumped them.

Nope. Not even close.

I have no idea what to expect from Goodwin but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Even if we lose tomorrow, unless it’s an absolute horsing, he deserves a chance.  Not sure who else we could have got who would be a better option.

The big bonus is Ashgar being away so regardless of what else happens we can start to look for options for next season.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A week or so after wanting him emptied.

They were the same with Goodwin.

Bacchus is worth £4m, apparently. Erahon was worth about £2m once upon a time. He left for about a tenth of that.

It's said often but not enough. They're absolutely fucking mental. 

Edited by Derry Alli

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Nope. Not even close.

Please tell us, for the millionth time, how lucky you are your previous manager walked away because your new manager is so much better in every way.

Youll probably claim hes the best manager in the country if he can claim you the much desired "made the top six" trophy.