Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't recall ever actively disliking a manager before he joined us, so this is new.

Conversely, I've been very fond of loads of managers before they joined and then ended up despairing at their dismal failure. At least this time I won't feel any pity for the guy when he falls flat on his pus and gets hounded out.

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can't recall ever actively disliking a manager before he joined us, so this is new.

Conversely, I've been very fond of loads of managers before they joined and then ended up despairing at their dismal failure. At least this time I won't feel any pity for the guy when he falls flat on his pus and gets hounded out.

Kind of where I am, I can not be disapointed over his tenure. Anything other than a disaster will be a bonus.

Edited by Tannadeechee

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Hard to disagree.

The announcement of Goodwin as manager states that the board is Mark Ogren, Scott Ogren, Jimmy Fyffe and Luigi Capuano.

Not a lot of football experience there. I take it Revolution Sports linked Capuano is the one being relied on for football experience now.

23 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Goodwin then ventured north to Pittodrie in February 2022 and, after overhauling the playing squad during the summer, secured 13 wins from his first 21 matches in all competitions this season.

f**k sake.

Yeah, was scrolling through to post that very paragraph. Fucking hell, I've worked in PR for over two decades and I'd never have the stones to spin stats like that.

16 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'd suggest hovering around the upper echelons of the Highland League (yet not winning it) probably shouldn't be regarded as success at Brechin City - but you're far better qualified to comment on that subject than I.

Anyway, and to summarise - I'd have been very content with Levein's appointment. It would have gave a much needed lift to the club as the fans would have been behind him.

However I don't think his appointment would have been the panacea that some United fans seem to think it would have been and I certainly don't think we should be spending yet more money we don't have to get him in the door.

If Levein is so good presumably someone else with a bigger, grander budget than us will come a calling 

From going into the Highland League with 3 signed players a month before the season started to basically residing in the top 3 in your first season , I would say is quite a success..........Especially throwing in the factor of having a completely new management committee and club restructure. To go on a year long unbeaten run is also up there I would say.   It is certainly quite a change from going a whole season without a win.  Craig played a big part in helping assemble that squad. 

The point I was trying to make is that Craig obviously still has the fire in his belly to succeed. Whether or not he felt the United job was too big a task for him or  he felt he wouldn't get the same backing or support ,  who knows  . He obviously decided it wasn't for him. 

Just like in his time at United , we have appreciated the work he has done at Brechin and would have been gutted had he moved on .  

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I think it's a pretty big gamble for Goodwin. If he can't turn it round and United go down then his next job will be someone like Airdrie.

With a squad full of shite bags and no keeper, it's a big risk.

I'd argue that it probably isn't. If he had been really successful at Aberdeen, where would his next move up be? Lower English championship, Upper league 1 at best. If he keeps Utd up, he is still aiming for that as a max.

Where he is now is no better than utd. Get them relegated and in Scotland, clubs will see past it as they know Utd are in a mess. In a way, I see it as a free hit for him.

I actually think Goodwin will do well at Utd (relatively). I think he will get them out of the automatic relegation spot and at least into the playoff position. If he did that and beat say Dundee in a playoff, then Utd fans would love him.