Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think it's a pretty big gamble for Goodwin. If he can't turn it round and United go down then his next job will be someone like Airdrie.

With a squad full of shite bags and no keeper, it's a big risk.

Potentially, but his reputation is already f**ked, so take a short deal here, and if he can save DU from relegation he rehabs his rep. If he fails, he was already screwed, and with DU the current basket case it is, he takes little additional blame.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Potentially, but his reputation is already f**ked, so take a short deal here, and if he can save DU from relegation he rehabs his rep. If he fails, he was already screwed, and with DU the current basket case it is, he takes little additional blame.

Do you feel the same about John Hughes ;) 

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

Do you feel the same about John Hughes ;) 

I don’t like either as a manager…but Hughes is well beyond rehabilitation, he is what you think he is.

It’s just very strange the lack of decent talent, at least by reputation, willing to even have their name associated with DU right now. Something is badly wrong, and the people you’d expect to get mentioned have waved off approaches.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Every managerial appointment is a gamble. I'm not sure how you arrive at the fact that Levein is a surefire certainty to produce success. If he is then Christ knows whys kicking about at Brechin City.

For a start he has helped build and transform a club in free fall with  a team who hardly won a game in 3 seasons to a team who were until last week unbeaten in the league for over a calendar year and a club with serious long term plans. 

He is basically an honourable, straight talking man  who , given the respect and trust  , will try his best to repay it.

He earned that respect last time round at Tannadice. Why wouldn't the united faithfull want to give it another go? 

I am however delighted that he is staying with us , hopefully to finish the great job he is doing. 

20 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think it's a pretty big gamble for Goodwin. If he can't turn it round and United go down then his next job will be someone like Airdrie.

With a squad full of shite bags and no keeper, it's a big risk.

It also likely rules out the chance of him managing Dundee which, if they fail to get promoted this season, might have been the perfect type of job for him to rebuild his reputation with a tier below.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It also likely rules out the chance of him managing Dundee which, if they fail to get promoted this season, might have been the perfect type of job for him to rebuild his reputation with a tier below.

Bowyer isn't going anywhere, regardless of what happens.

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don’t like either as a manager…but Hughes is well beyond rehabilitation, he is what you think he is.

It’s just very strange the lack of decent talent, at least by reputation, willing to even have their name associated with DU right now. Something is badly wrong, and the people you’d expect to get mentioned have waved off approaches.

Why would you expect a manager of talent & reputation to want to be associated with the worst team in the league? 

36 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Who did you expect to be mentioned? We're adrift at the bottom of the league with 12 games left and glaring, well recognised holes in the squad. It's not strange in the slightest that the list of willing candidates is short.

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Who did you expect to be mentioned? We're adrift at the bottom of the league with 12 games left and glaring, well recognised holes in the squad. It's not strange in the slightest that the list of willing candidates is short.

Because it’s an ideal stepping stone. Jump in now and take no blame for relegation, then be one of, if not the biggest, fishes in the pond next year, and a favorite to bounce back up.. You’d expect any of several managers to be interested to some extent, but the strangely quiet rumour factory suggests no one wants to touch it…just makes me wonder what is really going on behind the curtain.

35 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

For a start he has helped build and transform a club in free fall with  a team who hardly won a game in 3 seasons to a team who were until last week unbeaten in the league for over a calendar year and a club with serious long term plans. 

He is basically an honourable, straight talking man  who , given the respect and trust  , will try his best to repay it.

He earned that respect last time round at Tannadice. Why wouldn't the united faithfull want to give it another go? 

I am however delighted that he is staying with us , hopefully to finish the great job he is doing. 

I'd suggest hovering around the upper echelons of the Highland League (yet not winning it) probably shouldn't be regarded as success at Brechin City - but you're far better qualified to comment on that subject than I.

Anyway, and to summarise - I'd have been very content with Levein's appointment. It would have gave a much needed lift to the club as the fans would have been behind him.

However I don't think his appointment would have been the panacea that some United fans seem to think it would have been and I certainly don't think we should be spending yet more money we don't have to get him in the door.

If Levein is so good presumably someone else with a bigger, grander budget than us will come a calling 

This week so far

Fox is sacked - bravo

Asghar leaves - bravo

Local consortium lifelong fans considering buying club - bravo

Goodwin set to be appointed manager - bra..wait what, gtf

Just when the club offers some hope that it realises the shitstorm we are in and makes moves to fix things (Levein) and you start to feel positive about the club again then they go and wipe out the positivity just like that. 

1 minute ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Please show your working. 

Extra points for using the word “Darvel”. 

Six game decent run with St Mirren, not all wins mind you, sees Cormack overcome with a strange desire to waft his chequebook towards Paisley.

That’s my workings. Christ knows what Cormack’s were.