Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Sorry to tell you this, but our finances are not limitless.

Giving the right person a longer contract is a cost saving, ffs. The problem at United is not that we haven't spent enough money, it's that the money has been spent badly. This is buying a cheap pair of shoes from Primark which will fall apart after a couple of wears when what we really need is a solid pair of DMs.

If Levein is the right man for the job then he's worth giving a proper contract to now. Or we can go for the cheap option and then repeat the process in the summer when money really will be tight and we're looking at another spell in the Championship.

Goodwin is a decent manager but he might need to be more than that given the squad deficiencies at Tannadeechee. He should get a tune out of wee Jamie, by playing him in the right position for starters. Mulgrew though, jeez oh 🙈

22 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Goodwin is a decent manager but he might need to be more than that given the squad deficiencies at Tannadeechee. He should get a tune out of wee Jamie, by playing him in the right position for starters. Mulgrew though, jeez oh 🙈

Is he? He lost the dressing room at Aberdeen and was a broken man in interviews for the last few games of his time at Aberdeen.

He now has to come to United and show confidence, tactical ability, be extremely strong willed and get this shower of mutinous quitters to start playing. All this while having chief mutinous quitter as part of his main management team.

It's like the club are deliberately taking the piss out of us fans. The worry is that if Goodwin hadn't taken it it would have been Hughes.

Why should the players bother to do what Goodwins says? He won't be here after summer, so what authority or clout.is he going to have? Itnall just screams.of "we don't know what to do, so this guy is out of work, he'll do".

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

What Goodwin showed at Aberdeen - feel free to correct me sheep - is that he a style of play in mind and won't deviate from it.

Now I'm a fan of playing it out from the back... theoretically. Can you imagine our defence trying to pass it about? 

Yes, yes I can 

33 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Giving the right person a longer contract is a cost saving, ffs. The problem at United is not that we haven't spent enough money, it's that the money has been spent badly. This is buying a cheap pair of shoes from Primark which will fall apart after a couple of wears when what we really need is a solid pair of DMs.

If Levein is the right man for the job then he's worth giving a proper contract to now. Or we can go for the cheap option and then repeat the process in the summer when money really will be tight and we're looking at another spell in the Championship.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble. I'm not sure how you arrive at the fact that Levein is a surefire certainty to produce success. If he is then Christ knows whys kicking about at Brechin City.

42 minutes ago, Kempes said:

At top flight level, Goodwin was a decent manager for only a short spell at the one club in the top flight where he’d be able to (and did) ride out the dreadful runs… and I don’t necessarily mean the sort that soil yer’ keks. Or maybe I do.

44 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I have no idea who constitutes a good appointment and who doesn't these days. If it's Jim Goodwin, fine. He was OK at St Mirren, less so at Aberdeen. It's a gamble for us and for him.

Is this confirmed? Surely not?

Perhaps the result is a window into more of a mess than is generally understood at Tannadice. Could it be that the other candidates took a  look at the situation and decided that it wasn’t worth it? It’s easy to say take the job and show what you can do, but there seems to be something still structurally wrong in the club/system, and perhaps ownership isn’t willing to give the next manager enough authority or leeway to fix it…and Goodwin simply sees this as a quick chance to potentially rehabilitate his reputation quickly with little downside, and is less concerned about the long term?

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Perhaps the result is a window into more of a mess than is generally understood at Tannadice. Could it be that the other candidates took a  look at the situation and decided that it wasn’t worth it? It’s easy to say take the job and show what you can do, but there seems to be something still structurally wrong in the club/system, and perhaps ownership isn’t willing to give the next manager enough authority or leeway to fix it…and Goodwin simply sees this as a quick chance to potentially rehabilitate his reputation quickly with little downside, and is less concerned about the long term?

I think it's a pretty big gamble for Goodwin. If he can't turn it round and United go down then his next job will be someone like Airdrie.

With a squad full of shite bags and no keeper, it's a big risk.

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I like Levein as a pundit but he should have been barred from managing a football team ever again for that 4-6-0 nonsense he concocted.

Im delighted he wasn't and went on to ruin Hearts.