Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Spoken like a true football fan.

If Levein's demands are outwith what we can afford, and if he's looking for a longer contract than what our recent experience with managers would suggest be sensible, then of course we have no option to pull the plug.

You could not be more wrong.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Keeping the new one well away from Callum Butcher. Sensible.

Edit: Ah ffs. Snooze you lose.

Edited by Pull My Strings

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Spoken like a true football fan.

If Levein's demands are outwith what we can afford, and if he's looking for a longer contract than what our recent experience with managers would suggest be sensible, then of course we have no option to pull the plug.

A football fan on a football forum - you're full of insight!

Levein should be coming here long term - that should be the plan - enough of this tombola nonsense! Next out of the hat we have Jim fcuking Goodwin who we'll sack midway through next season etc etc etc etc

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Levein should be coming here long term - that should be the plan - enough of this tombola nonsense! Next out of the hat we have Jim fcuking Goodwin who we'll sack midway through next season etc etc etc etc

Saturday evening if we get humped by Aberdeen! My pitchfork hasn't been put away properly yet!! 😁

If theres one thing we all learned from Goodwins Aberdeen stint, its that hes capable of turning a confidence sapped, unorganised, defensive shambles of a side around quickly.

Feels like a good move for everyone

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

If theres one thing we all learned from Goodwins Aberdeen stint, its that hes capable of turning a confidence sapped, unorganised, defensive shambles of a side around quickly.

What Goodwin showed at Aberdeen - feel free to correct me sheep - is that he a style of play in mind and won't deviate from it.

Now I'm a fan of playing it out from the back... theoretically. Can you imagine our defence trying to pass it about? 

I still think Goodwin is a decent manager. This might work. 

He obviously fitted at St Mirren being a League Cup winning captain and a fans favourite, so when we were in poor form the fans backed him. He was never going to get as easy a ride off the fans at Aberdeen and clearly fell into a slump when they were on his case.

He had ups and downs at St Mirren but was a good manager for us. The issue with Dundee Utd now is that there isn't much room for error. It's a brave move from Goodwin's point of view too.

11 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

This is exactly the formula which landed us in the Highland league. 

With each new manager comes a complete clearout of players half way through the season .  Basket case management. 

How glad  we are that Craig came along to offer his services to help get us back on the right track again.  Even more delighted now that he looks like staying put. 

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You could not be more wrong.

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Sorry to tell you this, but our finances are not limitless.

30 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

What Goodwin showed at Aberdeen - feel free to correct me sheep - is that he a style of play in mind and won't deviate from it.

Now I'm a fan of playing it out from the back... theoretically. Can you imagine our defence trying to pass it about? 

I don't think that is entirely accurate. Goodwin definitely settled on a preferred style of play with us this season, primarily based on the attacking strengths of the players at his disposal. But he could, and often did, deviate. The 1-0 defeat to Celtic in December is the best example of this: we sat in a low block for 90 minutes and basically made no effort to win the game at all. Goodwin's biggest tactical problem, I thought, was that his game-to-game changes tended to be quite extreme and unsubtle. He struggled to land on an appropriate balance. There were also some justified question marks over his in-game management. 

If he has learned from his time with us then I think he can absolutely be a decent manager for United. There might also be less expectation on him from above to play in a certain way, especially given what he is inheriting - and that his short-term aim is simply to keep United in the top flight. I would be surprised if he was anything other than pragmatic from now until the end of the season. 

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Turned us the full 360