Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 3rd Edition of 2022/2023 Season

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Levein would be easily the most popular choice amongst any of the available candidates. It wouldn't even be close.

Really?! That's incredible.

Would he be given the wherewithall to sign nigh on 100 shit players for Utd before he takes them to the second tier?

52 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Really?! That's incredible.

Would he be given the wherewithall to sign nigh on 100 shit players for Utd before he takes them to the second tier?

Transfer window is closed, so he wouldn't manage that this season, sorry.

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Unsurprisingly, United fans care more about what he did at United than what he did at Hearts.

He was fine with Hearts generally prior to the heart attack in 2018, the worry for me would be that he's lost part of his edge following that health issue.

Certainly, he claims to be calmer, which might be a negative for the supporters who think he's going to punch Mulgrew, Edwards and Smith, among others, up and down the dressing room.

Quite a few 'itk' posters elsewhere reporting it's a signed deal already, with changes at the top of the club, which I'd accept on that basis alone.

4 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Asghar is moving to a reduced role or gone, paving the way for Craig.

Are you one of the 'itk' folk? I hope so!

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

He was fine with Hearts generally prior to the heart attack in 2018, the worry for me would be that he's lost part of his edge following that health issue.

Yeah, still won more games than he lost at Hearts and his overall record there (2nd time around) only marginally worse than his record at United. Obviously things went badly wrong at the end but there were good periods as well as bad. 

We need an experienced manager who is going to be able to fashion a workable team out of less than ideal resources. At this level you're not going to get an experienced manager who hasn't failed elsewhere so it's either going to be an inexperienced guy whose failures are ahead of him, or an experienced guy with a chequered CV. 

I’ll do it but I’ll need decent benefits including a cycle to work scheme. 

I guarantee the lads will stay up in the Championship next season. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Girth

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Unsurprisingly, United fans care more about what he did at United than what he did at Hearts.

Each to their own but surely his latter record at Hearts, as well as his Scotland stint, offer a somewhat poor looking CV for the guy? Plus, who's to say that he'll command respect with the current bunch of Utd players - esp auld heids like Mulgrew and Fletcher?

FWIW, Yogi Hughes is probably best placed to save you from the drop.

27 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Each to their own but surely his latter record at Hearts, as well as his Scotland stint, offer a somewhat poor looking CV for the guy? Plus, who's to say that he'll command respect with the current bunch of Utd players - esp auld heids like Mulgrew and Fletcher?

FWIW, Yogi Hughes is probably best placed to save you from the drop.

I’m personally disinclined to consider Hughes for such a significant role on account of the fact that he’s thick as f**k, even for a football manager. 

While this is highly subjective, I think it helps illustrate the rate at which managers get a positive mark on their CV. Indeed most (all?) of the managers we brought in that did a good job before we took them we ended up sacking.

Green = Levein. Everyone loved him.

Amber = Had their moments but I personally was not sad to see them go.

Red = Confident most would’ve offered to pack their bags for them.

Why wouldn’t you go for the one guy who’s done the job well before. Sure, it might end up in tears, but he’s got as good a chance as anybody of making it work.

895A0C7E-86D6-409D-B77C-FA912938DF1C.jpeg

Edited by ArabFC

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

While this is highly subjective, I think this helps illustrate the rate managers get a positive mark on their CV. Indeed most (all?) of the managers we brought in that did a good job before we took them we ended up sacking.

Green = Levein. Everyone loved him.

Amber = Had their moments but I personally was not sad to see them go.

Red = Confident most would’ve offered to pack their bags for them.

Why wouldn’t you go for the one guy who’s done the job well before. Sure, it might end up in tears, but he’s got as good a chance as anybody of making it work.

895A0C7E-86D6-409D-B77C-FA912938DF1C.jpeg

It was thirteen years ago, and since then he has been absolutely appalling in every role he has been in… 

As others have said, Craig Levein has a lot of credit in the bank from most United fans. I am slightly concerned about his record since leaving United all those years ago, but I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Apart from anything else, the alternatives do not exactly inspire confidence.

ETA: given Levein's popularity among United fans, appointing him would remove a lot of the toxicity surrounding the club. If the chairman wanted to appoint someone who he knows the fans will get behind, therefore removing a lot of pressure from his own back, he could do a lot worse.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny