WTF No Thread - SMFC v RCFC

18 minutes ago, Lex said:

FT 1-0

Superb. Much deserved win. How we only won 1-0 I have no idea but it’s three points all the same. Second half we’ve hit the post and a goalmouth stramash somehow ended up not going in. Main played well but if he was a goal scorer we’d have won that about 4-0. 
County did have their moments second half. They must have had about eight corners, including three in a row at one point. Never seriously threatened though. The incident that led to their red card was probably their best chance. Late dive in on Carson, VAR, red, game over.

This was a must win game for top six and we’ve done it. Four point cushion over the Dons now, tougher tests to come but we are in a great position.

MOTM Strain. Sign him up on a longer deal please. Special mention to Flyniesta too, I think that was his first league start of the season. Him and Kiltie strolled it, didn’t miss Gogic or Baccus at all.

Think Flynn started at Tynecastle, did he not?

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

We really need to score more goals though. 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us at all, but we were clinging on at points because we couldn't get that second we absolutely deserved. Watt, Offord and Main all should have scored today.

That's my feelings. We're reasonably solid but we can't rely on that. We for comfortable for most of the game today yet end up with a nervy finish because we couldn't put the game to bed.

One positive note, we were missing a few starters today and had didn't have much on the bench to change the game, yet we've won and kept a clean sheet.

That's the joint most comfortable home win we have had since beating County in the last game in Paisley.

Felt sorry for the RC fans that made the journey, 1 minute in they blasted the ball out the pitch twice and it didn't get much better after that. They showed nothing in the first half apart from a blast over the bar from a set piece. They just didn't show up at all.

County were a tad better in the 2nd half, had a couple of dangerous moments but we should have buried them by at least 4 goals. Some great last ditch blocks and saves denied us.

A much needed 3 points and a performance to go with it.

Very happy with the result; and actually very happy with the performance too.

Should have been much more comfortable on the score front; but the better team.

No real failures, but a special mention to Watt.

We know he's not fully fit yet, but at one point in the second half he chased back about 50 yards, got in front of the RC player, and drew a foul.

Top 6 still a definite possibility; and surely relegation off the table now.

19 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Very happy with the result; and actually very happy with the performance too.

Should have been much more comfortable on the score front; but the better team.

No real failures, but a special mention to Watt.

We know he's not fully fit yet, but at one point in the second half he chased back about 50 yards, got in front of the RC player, and drew a foul.

Top 6 still a definite possibility; and surely relegation off the table now.

Tony Watt and Curtis Main ran themselves ragged. Main was limping for a large part of the game, struggled to get up at times.

Offord came on and looked lively. Caused a bit of trouble. Laidlaw laid him out too , was no need for it tbh. 

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I really don't know what has to happen to Curtis Main for us to get a free kick. He was just about DDT'd into the ground at one point in the 2nd half and the ref waved play on.

That was like a wrestling throw as he was dumped onto the grass. Ref's decision...play on.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I really don't know what has to happen to Curtis Main for us to get a free kick. He was just about DDT'd into the ground at one point in the 2nd half and the ref waved play on.

It's his rep. He's regarded as big and agricultural, so refs just assume he's doing the dirty work. Jordan White is similar at times.

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m holding onto the thought that when I think St Mirren will win, they lose, and when I think the odds are stacked against us, we pull off an unlikely win. Need that to hold true today. It’s a thought process honed through decades of watching us. Only need to look at Wednesday. I thought we could add to Motherwell’s crisis club credentials… we were pish and got beat.

1-0 Saints. Scrappy as fcuk and an advert for the Scottish top flight it is not.

Maybe.

Happy enough with my pre-match prediction this week. I need to build on this now, make that push for a Top 6 Prediction finish this season. 😀

With the chances we had, I don’t think there could’ve been any complaints if we’d won by 4 or 5. Still, the feeling that one mistake could cost us two points makes things more fun…. Doesn’t it?

Looked really leggy in the last 10 minutes, unsurprisingly - can’t fault anyone for effort today, particularly Main and Watt. Get the feeling Tony’s trying a bit too hard, but I’m pleasantly surprised by his defensive work - one in particular today that he tracked back 40 yards and won a free kick wasn’t the Tony Watt I expected when he signed!

Need to be more clinical in front of goal, but still part of the top 6 (and Europe) conversation.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Happy enough with my pre-match prediction this week. I need to build on this now, make that push for a Top 6 Prediction finish this season. 😀

I'm going "Elvis Mk II" every week, if it means we win.

Onwards and upwards to our thrashing next week.:rolleyes:

I thought that Main was superb today. O'Hara covered every blade of grass. Watt, even though he looks as if he's breathing out of his arse after ten minutes, played well too.

Should have won that by a lot more. County were absolutely mince in the first half and improved in the second but we were still fairly comfortable despite the injury crisis. 

Referee was unbelievable at times - Main was basically getting pushed and shoved all over the place with no issues at all. Keith Watson got booked then made an identical foul about a minute later too! 

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought the referee had a pretty good game. I was surprised that Callaghan's elbow on Flynn right at the death wasn't checked though. It was right in front of me and looked a bad one, maybe I was just a bit tetchy as we were trying to see the game out.

I saw that but don't think Callaghan threw his elbow back, it was just up as he jumped for a header and caught Flynn. Risky however. 

I just thought he was massively inconsistent in what he was giving as free kicks which was frustrating, particularly as Main was getting a doing from Watson and Baldwin. He did miss Strain stealing about 20 yards on a throw too! 😂