The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The court case won't be decided until after the next general election anyway, I think it was important to set the appeal in motion, this week was the last opportunity to do so. You can't just accept Westminster blocking a 2/3rds majority in Holyrood over a devolved matter, especially on such flimsy grounds.

Yet, the court case is likely to be defeated. The smart move was to very publicly throw it back in Westminsters court. The previous FM said I'll see you in court and made no attempt to engage and Humza had his hands tied but let's not pretend this case is a shoe-in. It's not even a 50/50 shot. 

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yet, the court case is likely to be defeated. The smart move was to very publicly throw it back in Westminsters court. The previous FM said I'll see you in court and made no attempt to engage and Humza had his hands tied but let's not pretend this case is a shoe-in. It's not even a 50/50 shot. 

How exactly would you throw it back in Westminster's court? Ask them to suggest amendments again and have Jack saying no yet  again? By that time there would be no opportunity to test the legal validity of the use of section 35. 

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How exactly would you throw it back in Westminster's court? Ask them to suggest amendments again and have Jack saying no yet  again? By that time there would be no opportunity to test the legal validity of the use of section 35. 

It has been 3 months since the Section 35. You're right though, the Scottish Government had no time to engage with the UK Government. 🤦‍♂️

50 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It has been 3 months since the Section 35. You're right though, the Scottish Government had no time to engage with the UK Government. 🤦‍♂️

It takes 2 to tango. Alistair Jack laughed in parliament when he was asked to indicate acceptable amendments. The last thing the Tories want is a deal on this, especially with Badenoch pushing to toughen up the ERA.

Edited by welshbairn

11 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

What do you suggest the alternative is then? That they simply do nothing at all? Could you imagine if that was the same attitude taken throughout key moments in history every time the anti-progressives got in the way? The SNP have had a lot of f**k ups in recent times, but this isn't one of them.

The onus isn't on the UK Government to do anything. They are anti-progressive and have a long running history of being anti-progressive and using every trick they can to try and slow down and completely halt progression.

Only a person who has never picked up a history book fails to see the pattern here.

I've picked up more than enough history books champ to know that doubling down on not very popular or salient issues is not how a nationalist political movement achieves self-determination. What with having actually written a doctoral dissertation about a successful nationalist movement, that didn't disappear down the rabbit hole of individualist minority rights to achieve its cause. Where's your counter-thesis? 

The greatest risk to the SNP right now is that it collapses like the Irish Home Rulers. Since 2014, Scottish independence has become infested with useless, faux-left narcissists who think that their particular issues are essential to the larger cause. They are not - you are not either. 

It is the failure of the SNP to establish a clear hierarchy of priorities that is sending the Yes movement backwards by the day. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, Iain said:

Minority rights are never a priority for most people. They still need to be advanced whenever possible.

A dung law that removes safeguards for women in society (a minority in power terms) to advance another minority's rights is not the solution though. It needs squared with the EA and the precise balance between self-ID and a society that objectively categorises people all the time for all sorts of reasons worked out. 

The GRA failed to strike that balance, which was why within 0.3 seconds of its passage the SG was making a complete tit of itself handling the Isla Bryson case - including the very act of misgendering it claimed to be acting against. 

6 hours ago, GTee said:

I'm now against my country's self governance,  because of a poorly thought out decision, even though it was supported by all parties in the parliament 😄

Sorry, who said this? Sounds like you're making up fantasy people to argue against.

Support for independence seems to be holding steady, so the people are (by and large) not saying "I'm against my country's self-governance because of SNP policy". I also don't think that any posters are saying it either, although you might be trying to claim as much in an attempt to dismiss any criticism without going to the intellectual effort of constructing an honest argument.

What doesn't seem to be holding steady is support for the SNP. Policy may be one reason for that, the current headlines etc another, and there are no doubt further factors.

As we are told ad nauseum, the SNP are needed to gain independence, so it is the case that anything they do that damages themselves could also damage support for independence by making it harder to achieve via parliamentary means (if they could raise themselves to tell us how, at this juncture, they intend to achieve it by such means in the first place).

1 hour ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Is that really from the foreign secretarys account, thats disgraceful from any mps account. What a lack of respect for a fellow MP and its just wrong. Its so unprofessional. No surprise for the tories nowadays.

Cleverly is an MP, Yousaf is an MSP. Westminster is Sovereign. Suck it up junior partner. 

34 minutes ago, George Cowley said:

Cleverly is an MP, Yousaf is an MSP. Westminster is Sovereign. Suck it up junior partner. 

Theres a level of professional conduct, at least Id expect from anyone working in anything really where they are representing their role. It says a lot imo

2 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Is that really from the foreign secretarys account, thats disgraceful from any mps account. What a lack of respect for a fellow MP and its just wrong. Its so unprofessional. No surprise for the tories nowadays.

This is James Cleverley who has written to every (and I mean every) british diplomat abroad and told them that nobody from the Scottish Govt is allowed to have meetings abroad without a diplomat in tow.

Quite a minter look, and foreign officials are already questioning why he is implementing this utter waste of time.

Hes not the sharpest tool in the box.