Spain (a) in October

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Spain squad to face Scotland and Norway is announced today at 1130:

Luis de la Fuente will announce on Friday, October 6th, the list of called-up players for the two matches that the Spanish National Team must face against Scotland and Norway in the qualifying phase for the 2024 Eurocopa in Germany. The first match will take place at La Cartuja Stadium in Seville, against Scotland, on Thursday, October 12th, starting at 8:45 PM. The following match will be in Oslo to face Norway at Ullevaal Stadium, also at 8:45 PM.

Real Federación Española de Fútbol

https://rfef.es/en/noticias/luis-de-la-fuente-will-announce-on-friday-october-6th-the-roster-of-players-called-up-for-the-two-matches-against-scotland-and-norway

In a nutshell if we don't lose to Spain or if Norway don't win both of their games we'll qualify. It's as simple as that.

GK - Unai Simon (Athletic Bilbao), David Raya (Arsenal), Kepa (Real Madrid)

DEF - Carvajal (Real Madrid), Navas (Sevilla), Laporte (Al Nassr), Le Normand (Real Sociedad), Pau Torres (Aston Villa), David Garcia (Osasuna), Balde (Barcelona), Fran Garcia (Real Madrid)

MID - Rodri (Man City), Zubimendi (Real Sociedad), Merino (Real Sociedad), Gavi (Barcelona), Fabian (PSG), Sancet (Athletic Bilbao)

ATT - Morata (Atl Madrid), Joselu (Real Madrid), Yamal (Barcelona), Ferran Torres (Barcelona) ,Yeremy(Villarreal), Williams (Athletic Bilbao), Oyarbazal (Real Sociedad)

F7v1S2lW4AABT_X?format=png&name=large

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Clarke didn't rule out potentially switching to 4 atb in the absence of KT. Wouldn't be averse to it, the only issue is that we don't really have any wingers so would need to adapt accordingly

Something like

Gunn

Hickey-Porteous-Hendry-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Actually that's not so bad and fits in both McTominay and Christie who I think would have been fighting for one spot

38 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Clarke didn't rule out potentially switching to 4 atb in the absence of KT. Wouldn't be averse to it, the only issue is that we don't really have any wingers so would need to adapt accordingly

Something like

Gunn

Hickey-Porteous-Hendry-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Actually that's not so bad and fits in both McTominay and Christie who I think would have been fighting for one spot

I think that would be the default against lesser teams - we'll probably line-up 541 against Spain, so sub out Christie for another CB.

34 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

That squad is stronger than I remember from March, probably my memory playing tricks on me though. 

It's quite different, but 15 players selected in March have been selected in October. The October squad is only 24 men strong while in March it was 26. 

These are the ins/outs. It doesn't seem massively stronger to me - just some good, some bad.

image.png.0292a953c59f7c1e5fadef6d5330d49b.png

Edited by 2426255

21 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's quite different, but 15 players selected in March have been selected in October. The October squad is only 24 men strong while in March it was 26. 

These are the ins/outs. It doesn't seem massively stronger to me - just some good, some bad.

image.png.0292a953c59f7c1e5fadef6d5330d49b.png

I don't think those lists are accurate for the games v Scotland.  Olmo and Pedri both got injured so weren't involved in the squad for the Scotland game in March and won't be involved this month either, Balde got injured too so technically he's an addition compared to the last time they faced us.

Borja Iglesias came on against Scotland too and isn't in this squad.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Pedri and Olmo both missing the squad is ideal. I've watched a bit of Barcelona this year and Yamal has looked extremely promising but I don't think he's ready for a game of this magnitude, especially up against one of the world's best left backs.

Gaya is a big miss as well, Balde is again an exciting young talent but still very inexperienced at this level

I'm talking myself into believing we can get something from this game

There's nothing frightening about this Spain team, hopefully we can grind out a point

24 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Pedri and Olmo both missing the squad is ideal. I've watched a bit of Barcelona this year and Yamal has looked extremely promising but I don't think he's ready for a game of this magnitude, especially up against one of the world's best left backs.

Gaya is a big miss as well, Balde is again an exciting young talent but still very inexperienced at this level

I'm talking myself into believing we can get something from this game

There's nothing frightening about this Spain team, hopefully we can grind out a point

I’ll take ugliest Brexitball low block park the bus 0-0 like the Ukraine game that won us our Nations League group 

43 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't think those lists are accurate for the games v Scotland.  Olmo and Pedri both got injured so weren't involved in the squad for the Scotland game in March and won't be involved this month either, Balde got injured too so technically he's an addition compared to the last time they faced us.

Borja Iglesias came on against Scotland too and isn't in this squad.

The lists are based on the initial squad selections before any call offs and don't reflect the matchday squads that we faced. We can't compare the strength of the matchday squads because we don't know the squad which will take on Scotland in Seville yet.

I was simply trying to show the difference between the initial squad selections, comparing like for like.  

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I have an unfortunate feeling that this game will be a reality check game for us. Spain will be out for revenge and we are missing a very key player in Tierney.

3-1 Spain (but I think they’ll get a result in Oslo to qualify us)

Going by how visibly wound up they were at Hampden, I'm hoping they go into the match with this mindset as I'm not convinced they play better with that level of emotion.

Tierney was outstanding that night and will be a big miss, but given the prize of a win is qualification as group winners, I'm hoping we can replicate the same intensity of press that reduced them to a David Moyes Man United tribute act.