🟠⚫️Dundee United v St Johnstone⚪️🔵 Saturday 18/02/23

May touches the ball first, he catches the keeper on the follow through. The keeper is injured due to not paying attention and being ready to protect himself. 

It’s not that hard.

If Celtic had scored that goal it would have been disallowed.

Davidson won't change. He's like  Tony Pulis.

There's never been a match where's he's been relaxed enough to properly attack.

He was even raging at Shaun Rooney being too far up the pitch in the playoffs. And that game was absolutely dead.

12 hours ago, Radford said:

He's not going to change, is he?

Interested in your fuller thoughts on yesterday Radford. I assume you’ll be on the same page as me in that we are just not getting close to the best out of our team by being so utterly defensively minded.

United are a poor team. They lack a real cutting edge - indeed in two games against us this calendar year I don’t think they’ve really got behind our defensive line properly or created any terribly clear cut chances over both games. But we’ve conceded in both games from shots from outside the box because, inevitably, if you let your opponents have loads of possession and loads of shots from range eventually one will find the target.

Saints have the players to play a far more attacking game. Indeed we seem to have taken that tack, bizarrely, against Rangers and Celtic twice each since the World Cup break when we’ve gone out and tried to play a bit of football and get forward rather than simply defending our six yard box. Why we’ve chosen to do that against the top two in the league then be completely passive against United and Aberdeen - who were on a miserable run when they comfortably beat us recently - is a complete mystery.

You've now got good combinations up front and in centre midfield. We have options in the wide areas. For the love of god, let’s use them. Win next week and we’re very much in the top six conversation given our run in to the split. But we have to actually go out and win games to do that.

The player choices worry me though. Carey being brought on to close the game out and we immediately concede. He then tries to set up a chance deep in injury time when the ball needed taken to the corner. His decision making is poor and it immediately weakens us defensively when he comes on. Yet he is always ahead of Wotherspoon - who for me is a superior player in every department - when we turn to the bench. The judgement of the manager is still very much in question.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

10 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Was there anything raised about the winner here potentially being a foul? It’s a weird one for me, as anywhere else on the park if you slide in and take the ball and then wipe the man out with the follow through it’s almost certainly a free kick.

It’s an interesting one.

Still funny as f**k, right enough.

I agree with this. I don't think it should be a foul necessarily, but if that incident was in the middle of the park and May went in with that level of force and wiped an opponent out, I think it would be a foul and a red card.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I agree with this. I don't think it should be a foul necessarily, but if that incident was in the middle of the park and May went in with that level of force and wiped an opponent out, I think it would be a foul and a red card.

It’s hard to judge because I can’t imagine an outfield player ever finding himself in that body position and being tackled in that way anywhere else on the park. May somehow manages to win the ball pretty cleanly then obviously goes into him on the follow through, but does anyone make a tackle like that at that angle if it’s in the middle of the park? Probably not.

It would 100% be wrong to bail that idiot in goal out in any event.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I thought the referee was pretty poor for Saints on everything apart from the second goal. Fotheringham should've had two yellows and they never even checked our penalty shout but delayed the game for theirs. There were several dubious decisions for United as well.

Clancy is a bad referee, and the fact he’s taking Premiership games is why VAR won’t work - 9/10 times you’ve got  someone worse than him manning the screen. Fotheringham not being booked for his tackle on Montgomery is wild when you see it back - I don’t think it is red but you’ve seen challenges like that result in red cards before. And what about that incident when the guy just straight up shoved Mitchell off the park and into the ad boards? No foul and Mitchell is forced to stay off the park until the ball is in play again. Just hopeless.

Just saw that Stevie May winner. It’s a low bar, but it’s one of the best things I’ve seen this season. United fans still singing two minutes after they’d equalised and Levitt doing that celebration. May absolutely smashing the Aussie keeper and the ball over the line meaning he had to go off. United bottom of the league on “Legends day”. Tremendous stuff.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

Just saw that Stevie May winner. It’s a low bar, but it’s one of the best things I’ve seen this season. United fans still singing two minutes after they’d equalised and Levitt doing that celebration. May absolutely smashing the Aussie keeper and the ball over the line meaning he had to go off. United bottom of the league on “Legends day”. Tremendous stuff.

There was a guy in the Shed still topless, twirling his shirt round his head when it went in.

Delicious.

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

Clancy is a bad referee, and the fact he’s taking Premiership games is why VAR won’t work - 9/10 times you’ve got  someone worse than him manning the screen. Fotheringham not being booked for his tackle on Montgomery is wild when you see it back - I don’t think it is red but you’ve seen challenges like that result in red cards before. And what about that incident when the guy just straight up shoved Mitchell off the park and into the ad boards? No foul and Mitchell is forced to stay off the park until the ball is in play again. Just hopeless.

There were several more than the ones you've mentioned as well. Phillips booked for not even catching the boy, then Montgomery booked for pulling back while a United player doesn't for exactly the same foul...

It's a pisstake.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The goalkeeper getting absolutely flattened for the goal adds to the whole thing, but aye, my first gut instinct was they'd be ruling it out.

I’m not sure if there was a check but the fact that VAR could’ve easily ruled it out but didn’t absolutely adds to it.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

United fans still singing two minutes after they’d equalised and Levitt doing that celebration. May absolutely smashing the Aussie keeper and the ball over the line meaning he had to go off. United bottom of the league on “Legends day”. Tremendous stuff.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

There was a guy in the Shed still topless, twirling his shirt round his head when it went in.

Delicious.

Happy The Sopranos GIF