Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think that's Deputy First Minister and Minister without portfolio. Makes him sound important but he can't do any damage.

The title of Deputy First Minister should have been changed to Second Minister years ago. Another black mark against Sturgeon's administration.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Who's going to come out with a prediction?

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_6d063346-394c-11eb-a4fe-454ae9b80c8b.thumb.jpg.59b897441378ab62dbf42eca81f98e8e.jpg

Humza wins with 103% of the vote.

What do people mean by “talent” and a talented politician? When people say someone is “talented” they usually just mean “I agree with them on everything”.

I would say that Margaret Thatcher and Tonty Blair were talented politicians. They won thumping election victories and were able to make huge changes to the country after winning them. Boris won an election and made a colossal c**t of the whole thing.

Similariy you could also say that Sergei Shiogu, Russian defence minister, is a very talented politician. I mean, on the one hand he’s overseen a disaster of a war, Russia have essentially lost a huge part of their army for no purpose and it’s clear he didn’t prepare his ministry well for it. However, despite this he remains in place and clearly excels at political machinations within the Russian regime  - his latest win being sidelining Wagner and Prigozhin after they challenged him. It’s likely cost billions of dollars and thousands of his soldiers lives but he’s still there and likely always will be.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What do people mean by “talent” and a talented politician? When people say someone is “talented” they usually just mean “I agree with them on everything”.

I would say that Margaret Thatcher and Tonty Blair were talented politicians. They won thumping election victories and were able to make huge changes to the country after winning them. Boris won an election and made a colossal c**t of the whole thing.

Similariy you could also say that Sergei Shiogu, Russian defence minister, is a very talented politician. I mean, on the one hand he’s overseen a disaster of a war, Russia have essentially lost a huge part of their army for no purpose and it’s clear he didn’t prepare his ministry well for it. However, despite this he remains in place and clearly excels at political machinations within the Russian regime  - his latest win being sidelining Wagner and Prigozhin after they challenged him. It’s likely cost billions of dollars and thousands of his soldiers lives but he’s still there and likely always will be.

It’s a good question. It’s a bit like being a”technically good” footballer - you know it when you see it.  I think Sunak is a competent politician and Liz Truss isn’t.   A certain level of calmness, ability to negotiate and being able to get other people to compromise. Debating skills.   Also, basic common decency and approachability. The other element is, for want of a better word, indefatigability.  Charles Kennedy, I think, would be someone that most people would agree would on being a “good politician”.   You could go through any party and find people that generally are regarded as good.  William Hague is another one.  Sturgeon for sure.  

None of the three running meet any of the criteria for being a good politician.  At least one of them is completely unhinged, the other is an atavistic loonball, and the third can barely speak on sentences.  

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just me with a horrible feeling that today is the day independence dies? :( i get that the yoons will be delighted but thats us, fucked it, all because Humza’s ego is bigger than his abilities. 

It’s very much a secondary issue for me, but I do see the cause of independence is going to take at least a temporary shunt.  The problem is not just Humza’s ego, it’s the absolute dregs that make up the runners and the ridiculous campaigning they’ve manage to cobble together.  

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s very much a secondary issue for me, but I do see the cause of independence is going to take at least a temporary shunt.  The problem is not just Humza’s ego, it’s the absolute dregs that make up the runners and the ridiculous campaigning they’ve manage to cobble together.  

Agree it looks like fucking amateur hour. 

In regards the SNP, I think there used to be a lot of work going on the background to win people over to independence and in parallel a lot was done to make things better in the day to day running of the country as the SG. At some point that seems to have shifted to just soundbites and slogans with many things just fading before being completed. There was a loss of focus and in my opinion a lack of leadership in terms of top down focused work.  The mps, msps, councils look lost and aimless but always ready with a soundbite.

Thats what needs to improve, we need substance and focused hard work from the SG

Edited by ScotiaNostra

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What a fucking shit show this country is. The country that invented modern medicine, the steam engine, tv and telephone etc and these three gimps are all we can come up with. 

I guess this wasn't exactly serious but none of those were invented in Scotland, the steam engine was only improved by a Scot and Logie Baird's claim as the inventor of telly is shaky. 

They do make a reasonable case that there's a brain drain, which could explain the dearth of political talent. Mind you, Westminster's not exactly dripping with political nous and rousing oratory. 

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I would say that Margaret Thatcher and Tonty Blair were talented politicians. They won thumping election victories and were able to make huge changes to the country after winning them.

Both them as individuals and those changes they made have been judged increasingly harshly over time. That contrasts with Nye Bevan, for example. I'd posit him as a "good politician". Your point is surely true, though, that it's an entirely subjective concept.

Edited by FreedomFarter

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I guess this wasn't exactly serious but none of those were invented in Scotland, the steam engine was only improved by a Scot and Logie Baird's claim as the inventor of telly is shaky. 

They do make a reasonable case that there's a brain drain, which could explain the dearth of political talent. Mind you, Westminster's not exactly dripping with political nous and rousing oratory. 

I mean aye and no, just feel like for a country that gave so much to the world we seem to have a massive self destructive streak. Its calamitous .

As a trans person I am so worried about this outcome. I'd prefer if the person running Scotland didn't hate my very existence. So I'm hoping for Humza, but man is he an uninspiring choice.

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I mean aye and no, just feel like for a country that gave so much to the world we seem to have a massive self destructive streak. Its calamitous .

You’re being a bit dramatic. Aye the candidates aren’t great but it’s not like the country is going to spontaneously combust or our history wiped. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Not sure how exceptional we've been really, apart from the Scottish Enlightenment the main things we've contributed have been whisky and slavery.

P.S. Forgot to include The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Edited by welshbairn

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Indeed.  Just like the Tesla is 'only an improvement' on the Sinclair C5.