Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

^^This....

but these "its left a left wing" party numpties just don't get it.

Scotland is hamstrung under devolution.......and that cannot be neaningfully changed until independence. 

The SNP needs to appeal across the political spectrum with the unifying factor being independence as the first and foremost political priority.

Mitigating the worst effects of austerity policies though is the right thing to fo.

That's not appealing to the left wing but being decent human beings.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing what you can within the limitations and pointing out the limits of what can be done.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm absolutely amazed anybody still reads Granny Danger's posts. 

Fair point.

I don't have him on ignore as it's quite amusing when the whatabouter-in-chief accuses others of deflection without a hint of irony or self-awareness.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The SNP is not a left wing party. 

The issue of left/right is subjective.

On the issue of prescription charges, tuition fees, the welcoming of immigrants, income tax (within their limited flexibility), I reckon the SNP government is further to the left than any other mainstream political party inScotland or the UK.

3 hours ago, Bodie said:

I was on a picket line last Wednesday while you were sipping rioja having fucked off out the country after voting for Brexit.

The thing about social media is you can claim you’re on a picket line even if you’re not.

As for the Rioja jibe, I sense a wee bit of jealousy.  The Rioja is nice and I’ll have some tonight after a hard day of swimming, walking and lying about in the 38 degrees sun.  Who knows, that might be you some day.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The thing about social media is you can claim you’re on a picket line even if you’re not.

As for the Rioja jibe, I sense a wee bit of jealousy.  The Rioja is nice and I’ll have some tonight after a hard day of swimming, walking and lying about in the 38 degrees sun.  Who knows, that might be you some day.

Ah, the old 'politics of envy/jealousy' stuff. Attack line no.1 for right wing roasters.

I'd lay off the wine if I was you.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Divergence is absolutely a limitation on the SG's ability to set policy. Whether people like it or not, in a unitary UK state it is all too easy for top-rate taxpayers to decamp across the border. While it's not going to happen overnight, a gap of £2k per year in tax due is going to change the behaviour of a substantial number of people - and Scotland has a relatively tiny number of top-rate earners to begin with. 

To have full scope to set tax powers, you need independence first. That should be the line taken by any new leader of the SNP. This 'we can make a much fairer society now' idea is running headlong into a trap set within the devolution settlement. Diverging as a sovereign state and establishing different rights and opportunities for its citizens are both crucial to justifying a radically divergent tax policy. 

In summary:  Close the border.  Scotland has to give more tax money to Lorna Slater and we don't want anyone escaping.

1 hour ago, Bodie said:

Ah, the old 'politics of envy/jealousy' stuff. Attack line no.1 for right wing roasters.

I'd lay off the wine if I was you.

I’ll wait until I’m dead before I give up the wine.  Might even continue beyond then.

Maybe the jealousy thing struck home, though I find it amusing being accused of being right wing by you.  Keep it up.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

In summary:  Close the border. 

Tbf this will be necessary until the English government can give a cast iron guarantee that any Scottish economic migrants won't be packed off to Rwanda.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Mitigating the worst effects of austerity policies though is the right thing to fo.

That's not appealing to the left wing but being decent human beings.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing what you can within the limitations and pointing out the limits of what can be done.

The SNP candidate who has just pointed out limits to what can be done, has had that statement turned into a Sickening Betrayal of Left Wing Scotland after 0.03 seconds of 'debate'.

That's the brainless echo chamber dynamic that is contributing dragging the SNP downwards - the 'Laebur left me' crew from 2014/15 think that they exclusively own the joint now. 

3 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

The relationship between the UK and the Republic of Ireland is a far more realistic comparison than the Scandinavian countries.

Well indeed - the Republic of Ireland can and does impose radically different tax policy to the UK despite having a land border between the two states.

A fully sovereign country that confers entirely different rights and entitlements to its citizens - and also has the fundamental legitimacy of statehood to impose obligations - can pursue a broadly independent tax policy. The Scottish Government cannot do anything even remotely similar in either direction until it has political sovereignty. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Bodie said:

Tbf this will be necessary until the English government can give a cast iron guarantee that any Scottish economic migrants won't be packed off to Rwanda.

FFS!  Of all of yer daft analogies, comparisons and 'what ifs' in recent days this is the one that takes the biscuit!

I can't even put it down as a piece of Jockularity given your track record.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The issue of left/right is subjective.

On the issue of prescription charges, tuition fees, the welcoming of immigrants, income tax (within their limited flexibility), I reckon the SNP government is further to the left than any other mainstream political party in Scotland or the UK.

The policies of the Scottish government and the ideology of party itself are two different things. The SNP has clearly pivoted towards the left of centre - starting under Salmond and then accelerating under Sturgeon. Some would argue that it has now also pursued daft liberal obsessions about identity politics (and daft Green fixations like charging everyone a massive tax on recycling) that has acted to the detriment of genuine left wing social justice issues in its current term. 

The SNP's M.O. is to act as the national party of Scotland. That includes all of Scotland and not just trying to take over Scottish Labour's traditional base of support in the Central Belt. It is a party of the centre and if it cannot have a fair and open discussion of different ways to make Scotland a better place after independence, will never succeed in achieving its goal.

There are far too many narcissists attached to the Yes movement who cannot see the wood for the trees here. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

FFS!  Of all of yer daft analogies, comparisons and 'what ifs' in recent days this is the one that takes the biscuit!

I can't even put it down as a piece of Jockularity given your track record.

Yeah I was only joking. They'll be fine.

Might want to avoid taking a small boat mind you.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No need.  Berwick is on the 'wrong' side of the Tweed and will be the safe haven.

There's a possibly false tale that Berwick is still officially at war with Russia following the Crimean War, so you might be safer in Rwanda.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's a possibly false tale that Berwick is still officially at war with Russia following the Crimean War, so you might be safer in Rwanda.

Great vid on how Rwanda is using drone technology to deliver medical supplies to remote parts of the country.  Truly inspirational.