Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He's appointed by the Pakistan Government, and presumably has contacts within it. 

The consulate will also step in to help its own citizens in foreign countries. British consulate staff in the US were tasked to help UK citizens leave Afghanistan after the military withdrawal. 

2 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I reckon a lot of them would go back to Labour, especially when it looks like they are going to oust the Tories.

Surely SNP voters in the past want Scotland to be an independent country.  That is something that Labour actively campaign against........not so sure people go from being pro-independence to unionist just because of a change at the top of the SNP

13 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Surely SNP voters in the past want Scotland to be an independent country.  That is something that Labour actively campaign against........not so sure people go from being pro-independence to unionist just because of a change at the top of the SNP

It might have happened if Corbyn were still in charge - not so convinced that it would happen under Red Tory Starmer.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

The change at the top might have some out of principle instantly not voting SNP but Id be surprised if its that much.

The biggest concern must be that a poor leader can start a steady decline in vote share, whether thats mainly just people not voting or some switching to other parties. Its not a given that the vote share stays the same if whoever gets the job isnt that good at it.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

It depends on whether they see a viable route to independence under the SNP IMO.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Not at all.   I'd reckon that about 1/3rd of the electorate are swing voters - not that bothered about the constitutional issue but will vote for who they think is better for them short term.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sure they do, the meeting he had was part of a campaign to save someone who was on death row for blasphemy. Humza has always spoken in favour of equal rights and gay marriage and voted for it twice. There was zero chance that missing the final vote would have risked it not passing. If he'd unnecessarily caused a rift with his Mosque it wouldn't have helped his standing with the Pakistan authorities while he was trying to persuade them to cancel an execution for breaking Islamic rules. 

As far as I can work out, the time & date of the vote was put into Humza's diary on 14th January. He arranged the meeting with the consul on 16th January.

Mr Ashgar recieved his death sentence on Thursday 23rd January, a full week after the "urgent" appointment had been made.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25874580

Two comments:

1) How could Humza have known in advance what the sentence would be?

2) Why was the "urgent" appointment not scheduled until 4th February, 12 days after passing of the sentence?

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

As far as I can work out, the time & date of the vote was put into Humza's diary on 14th January. He arranged the meeting with the consul on 16th January.

Mr Ashgar recieved his death sentence on Thursday 23rd January, a full week after the "urgent" appointment had been made.

Two comments:

2) Why was the "urgent" appointment not scheduled until 4th February, 12 days after passing of the sentence?

Doesn't really matter as no journalist will be asking him 

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not at all.   I'd reckon that about 1/3rd of the electorate are swing voters - not that bothered about the constitutional issue but will vote for who they think is better for them short term.

Or even the long term.  Independence is at best a secondary issue for most voters.  

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think it might be more than 1/3, to my mind you've got 25% who'll vote each way on constitutional lines with the middle 50% up for grabs

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Two comments:

Bit of background.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23362586.asghar-family-address-humza-yousafs-role-mans-release-amid-row/

I'm reading the hot takes and I'm sitting here thinking idle hands are the devil's workshop, idle lips are his mouthpiece.

On topic and significant from the Inverness hustings was Kate's suggestion that Highland Council be broken up. Local responsibility, if communicated correctly, is a concept that can only enthuse and is clearly different to the continuity message of Humza.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In the article, Anwat says (my emphasis)

“Once Mr Asghar was sentenced to death in January 2014, the family recognised that it was a race against time and I was instructed to act by the family in February 2014, following the sentence of death being pronounced in a Pakistani court." and “One of my first steps on behalf of the family was to place pressure on Humza Yousaf, the Scottish Government and others to intervene"

All of these events are after the meeting was arranged on 16th January, when the appointment was inserted in Humza's diary. 

I ask again:

I would also ask why Anwat is now stating that Humza had to be placed under pressure to intervene if the appointment was already in place before the death sentence?

18 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

In the article, Anwat says (my emphasis)

“Once Mr Asghar was sentenced to death in January 2014, the family recognised that it was a race against time and I was instructed to act by the family in February 2014, following the sentence of death being pronounced in a Pakistani court." and “One of my first steps on behalf of the family was to place pressure on Humza Yousaf, the Scottish Government and others to intervene"

All of these events are after the meeting was arranged on 16th January, when the appointment was inserted in Humza's diary. 

I ask again:

I would also ask why Anwat is now stating that Humza had to be placed under pressure to intervene if the appointment was already in place before the death sentence?

The man had been in jail since 2010 and had been shot in the back by a prison guard, I don't see the precise timing of events regarding his death sentence as being that significant. I also don't think not attending a vote that was going to pass by a huge majority can be compared with the risks of campaigning on behalf of someone accused of blasphemy when you have family in Pakistan.

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yousaf’s friend and lawyer arranges a statement supporting his version of events and we’ve all to just blankly accept it without question? Aye ok. 

It no more naive than blankly accepting that SleepyCuddles or his mate were telling the truth either tbf. 

Weighing it up based on the information provided so far, It looks like Yousaf is not telling the truth. Thats not to say im correct just thats the impression I get from it.

So its a potential mark against him not so much for missing the vote but for what appears to be an attempt to create a false narrative about why. On that topic if that is the case and it was done on purpose due to pressure he received. It then also becomes a question about his leadership quality. Whoever gets the job needs to lead not be lead and it seems here along with other examples thats hes easily lead rather than leads. Also he should be strong enough to explain why he missed rather than attempt a deflect, those sort of situations will occur in future is he going to do same then?

It certainly isnt cleared up and more questioning on it seems fine by me for someone going into a potential FM role.

Edited by ScotiaNostra