Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The increasingly right-wing local rag isn't happy about it.

Highland News & Media's offer to facilitate a hustings during the SNP leadership race still stands despite the party's decision to ban journalists from such events.

Candidates Kate Forbes, Humza Yousaf and Ash Regan have all indicated they have no problem with the media attending hustings.

The party said the decision was so that the leadership hopefuls could have a "safe space" when addressing SNP members.

HNM head of content and audience Sarah Fyfe said: "Holding politicians to account is one of the cornerstones of good journalism. That's why we've extended an offer to the SNP for Highland News & Media to facilitate, broadcast, and cover the cost of a debate in the Highlands.

"Dualling the A9 and A96, the reduction in maternity services in rural locations, and the R100 broadband programme are all live issues that affect our readers. We were surprised to hear that the SNP have decided to hold their hustings behind closed doors – it will undoubtedly lead people across the country to wonder what they have to hide. We hope they reconsider, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say publicly: our offer still stands."

Other media outlets have also challenged the SNP's decision.

HNM managing director Steve Barron said: "Safe spaces are for the vulnerable, not for those standing to lead our country. For only a small number of SNP members to be granted access to watch the contenders to be our next First Minister debate each other suggests that command and control is more important than transparency."

Expect about a dozen Facebook posts from them tomorrow whingeing about 'woke' safe spaces.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The increasingly right-wing local rag isn't happy about it.

These c***s have gone right off the deep end in the last few months. I've never seen a paper be so proud of a photoshop as they are of their A9 gravestone picture

16 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

These c***s have gone right off the deep end in the last few months. I've never seen a paper be so proud of a photoshop as they are of their A9 gravestone picture

Their editor must have wanked himself silly when Ross held up that front page in parliament.

Veering to the right editorially must be their new strategy after recently being forced to shutter half of their newspapers. I know I shouldn't look at it, but their FB page is just a constant stream of Daily Mail-esque faux outrage. I'm sure they have the same few "What about the A9!/potholes!/cyclists!/gypsies!/trans people!" headlines on rotation every day. All exclusively commented on by the same cabal of weirdo gammons.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

2 hours ago, Anonapersona said:

I'm trying to imagine the outrage.

That's as far as I got.

Yeah: who needs transparency in a democratic society. 🥴

Remember the SNP calls for an election because the public never voted for either Truss or Sunak? Will they be making the same calls for Sturgeon's replacement?

Black and white cases like this can't be argued with. It is pathetic, rank hypocrisy.

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Yeah: who needs transparency in a democratic society. 🥴

Remember the SNP calls for an election because the public never voted for either Truss or Sunak? Will they be making the same calls for Sturgeon's replacement?

Black and white cases like this can't be argued with. It is pathetic, rank hypocrisy.

The First Minister is voted on by Holyrood. The Prime Minister becomes PM simply by becoming the leader of the majority party. Are you wearing a mask and denying yourself oxygen again? 

Banning the press to create a "safe space" for candidates is a bit of a minter regardless of how you spin it.

There needs to be scrutiny, after all whoever wins is inevitably going to be First Minster of Scotland and only 100k of our 5m population will have been eligible to vote.

There is a wee bit of irony in this as well. Had the SNP thought a bit more about safe spaces then NS might not be resigning. 🙊

Edited by Trogdor

42 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Banning the press to create a "safe space" for candidates is a bit of a minter regardless of how you spin it.

There needs to be scrutiny, after all whoever wins is inevitably going to be First Minster of Scotland and only 100k of our 5m population will have been eligible to vote.

There is a wee bit of irony in this as well. Had the SNP thought a bit more about safe spaces then NS might not be resigning. 🙊

The Scottish government must be scrutinized to the nth degree. When they turn out to be poor in a number of areas. We will stick with Westminster who are 10 times worse. Pathetic. We coould however vote the rubbish Scottish government out, but unfortunately can't vote the really rubbish Westminster government out. Deary me.

Folk slagging off the First Minister candidates - tend to agree - I assume were comfortable with Liz Truss, Boris Johnson and Sunak as Prime Ministers. Each one a Charlatan 😄 Where's the £600k? Fair enough. Billions in dodgy PPE. Not a peep. 😄

I don't think there's really a need for every hustings to be a public event, it's for those daft enough to still be party members to decide anyway, but there should also be some form of TV 'debate' as well given that one of these hopeless idiots will be attempting to ruin the country until they lose the next election.  

Edited by itzdrk

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I don't think there's really a need for every hustings to be a public event, it's for those daft enough to still be party members to decide anyway, but there should also be some form of TV 'debate' as well given that one of these hopeless idiots will be attempting to ruin the country until they lose the next election.  

Do you think the SNP will losithe next election?