Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The gay marriage question should not be governing ANYONE’S vote in this leadership election because it’s not a live issue. It was settled nearly a decade ago and none of the candidates are proposing to revisit it. I’m absolutely stunned that people are turning on a candidate over how she hypothetically would have voted on a fringe issue that was settled years ago.

Point of principle for me. If she sees some folks as being lesser than others based on something they’ve no control over then I’m not giving her the chance to explain a single policy stance, she can f**k off at that point. 

31 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

So, if as a younger man with less political clout he felt in hock to his religious leaders 8 years ago, that’s not great. However as of 2 days ago, if I’m an SNP member who values civil rights, he’s streaked ahead of Forbes based on them both going for that leadership in 2023 and her still being quite happy to discriminate on the basis of her faith. 

If that's the case he would be better just saying that. At the minute, he's looking like he's being economical with the truth which is not a good look. 

3 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

She doesn’t consider anyone lesser than anyone else.

She just thinks my conception, as a child born out of wedlock was ‘wrong’. That’s her thing and fair enough for her but I ain’t letting her in my house, let alone voting for her. 

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If that's the case he would be better just saying that. At the minute, he's looking like he's being economical with the truth which is not a good look. 

But as at two days ago, Humza Yousaf said he was personally in favor of equal marriage whereas Kate Forbes said she wasn’t. This isn’t as hard as you want to try and make it. (insert Kenneth, should you fancy) 

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

She just thinks my conception, as a child born out of wedlock was ‘wrong’. That’s her thing and fair enough for her but I ain’t letting her in my house, let alone voting for her. 

To deny others what she presumably thinks is the “sanctity” of marriage can only be because she sees their lifestyle as morally lesser.

Edited by Savage Henry

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

But as at two days ago, Humza Yousaf said he was personally in favor of equal marriage whereas Kate Forbes said she wasn’t. This isn’t as hard as you want to try and make it. (insert Kenneth, should you fancy) 

I think you're stuck on repeat.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

To deny others what she presumably is the “sanctity” of marriage can only be because she sees their lifestyle as morally lesser.

I got married solely to get a US visa. We’d been together for 17 years with no plans to get hitched up until Uncle Sam informed us that the visa the required the hitching cert. I’m not sure how our lifestyle has changed other than I quite like basketball now. 

8 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Of course she does.  She believes children should be conceived within a marriage.

What’s wrong with that?

7 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Of course she does.  She believes children should be conceived within a marriage.

What’s wrong with that?

No wonder @Trogdor thinks I’m stuck on repeat given I answered my views on such in the post you actually quoted. I shall acknowledge his concerns and refer you back to it. 

41 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Thats the problem now for Yousaf, if hes found out to be telling lies thats his campaign also looking messed up. At the moment though theres nothing to say he has but hes not answering straight enough to stop the questions. The press will continue on that topic now theres a potential story

Quite some going by the SNP just now, 15 years of relatively tight discipline/collective responsibilty being utterly shredded in barely 10 days. Don't think whoever wins of these three is going to last terribly long in charge.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

The gay marriage question should not be governing ANYONE’S vote in this leadership election because it’s not a live issue. It was settled nearly a decade ago and none of the candidates are proposing to revisit it. I’m absolutely stunned that people are turning on a candidate over how she hypothetically would have voted on a fringe issue that was settled years ago.

You can repeat it all you like but for many people LGBT rights are not a fringe issue, they have quite a big impact on their lives or the lives of their family and friends.

Gay marriage may be settled, but plenty of LGBT rights aren't (particularly for the T part of that equation) and Kate Forbes has made it very clear she won't be progressing them and would vote against them if given the chance. That would have a direct impact on people's lives in years to come.

It's perfectly normal not to want to vote for someone on that basis. If you have different priorities that's fine but voting based on who believes in your rights or the rights of your loved ones is a perfectly good reason. 

Edited by MrWorldwideJr