Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

At Westminster there’s no notable names who voted against from Labour or the Lib Dems but from a quick scan these are people who went on to serve in Cabinet, some in very senior roles - Robert Buckland, Alun Cairns, Therese Coffey, Geoffrey Cox, Stephen Crabb, David Davies, David Davis, Nadine Dorries, Charlie Elphicke, Michael Fallon, Liam Fox, Simon Hart, Kwasi Kwarteng, Esther McVey, Nicky Morgan, Priti Patel, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Ben Wallace, John Whittingdale and Gavin Williamson. 

Larry David GIF - Larry David Larrydavid - Discover & Share GIFs

Time's up, we're stuck with the hapless three. Humza has held up pretty well so far I think, no gaffs or hissy fits even under some quite aggressive questioning. Forbes might still get my vote if she comes out with a much better explanation of how she handles her religion/social policy conflict. The more I hear from Regan the less chance she has of getting my vote, but she started off at close to zero anyway.

Edited by welshbairn

44 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The SNP should absolutely not be indulging in a Labour style purge, I'm making that comparison to highlight the difference.

Labour's wholesale baseless suspensions of CLPs who pick candidates the leadership don't like in order to centrally impose candidates is a democratic outrage, and to say some of their attempts at deselection of sitting MPs have been problematic is putting it extremely lightly. The treatment of Apsana Begum in particular has been vile and should have been a resignation matter for Starmer, but the media clearly don't give a shit and no one has batted an eyelid.

Meanwhile there's a received media wisdom that the SNP have allowed no difference of opinion from Sturgeon for 8 years, but there is very little evidence to support this. MPs and MSPs have been going off message on manifesto commitments, the strategy for independence or just attacking her personally for years and been left to it with little or no criticism from the leadership in return. Like I said I think adopting the strategies of Starmer's Labour to deal with that would be unacceptable, but they've basically had no internal discipline at all. MPs were free to break the code of conduct routinely without facing disciplinary action for it, everyone who hinted at or outright campaigned for Alba was left to it and were able to choose whether to defect or stay.

Sturgeon was so attached to the broad church concept that she evidently had a fear of upsetting internal critics, and therefore no matter what anyone did they knew their position was never under threat. She tried to either ignore it or appease them at every step, that only emboldened them and that's how you've ended up with such a shitshow of a leadership election here. This is not a case of internal critics suddenly being released from the iron grip of Sturgeon's oppression of free speech.

Totally agree with how you put it here. If Humza wins, being a bit tougher with the Conservative wings. We'd be better for it 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Time's up, we're stuck with the hapless three. Humza has held up pretty well so far I think, no gaffs or hissy fits even under some quite aggressive questioning. Forbes might still get my vote if she comes out with a much better explanation of how she handles her religion/social policy conflict. The more I hear from Regan the less chance she has of getting my vote, but she started off at close to zero anyway.

The debates will be the decider as their starts have been so poor, none of them deserve the job so far. There's a lot of work to be done to convince otherwise. 

Is it true the results will just be told on percentages rather than numbers voted? I can see some people just not voting at all if the 3 stooges dont up their game

1 minute ago, ScotiaNostra said:

The debates will be the decider as their starts have been so poor, none of them deserve the job so far. There's a lot of work to be done to convince otherwise. 

Is it true the results will just be told on percentages rather than numbers voted? I can see some people just not voting at all if the 3 stooges dont up their game

It's the same rules as the local elections, so it would seem so.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/kate-forbes-most-popular-candidate-29296053

I always think polls like these are pretty unreliable but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Forward to the Free Church Theocracy!

That would be a valid concern if the Free Church (or Kate Forbes) believed in theocracy.  They don't!

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I think the debates will be a bit of a laugh. I can see Regan have a complete cranial detachment at some point. She seems something of a total moonhowler and gives off heavy vibes as the sort of boss who throws stuff at her assistants. 

Funny you should say that, as the issue of why so many of her former staffers have NDAs has come up and she failed to answer when asked about bullying.

Particularly enjoyed this short thread:

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Funny you should say that, as the issue of why so many of her former staffers have NDAs has come up and she failed to answer when asked about bullying.

Particularly enjoyed this short thread:

I approve of the reference to Arrested Development. 👏

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Daily Mail reporting that Alex Neil has claimed Humza Yousaf asked to miss the gay marriage vote because "he was under so much pressure from the mosque".  Joe Fitzpatrick, who was the minister for Parliamentary business at the time, says that isn't true.

Not sure what the ex Hamilton manager has to do with any of this.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Sounds like UDI to me...

As I've said before, UDI or anything along those lines is an absolute non starter. The UK would simply ignore it and suspend the Scottish parliament and all powers given to devolution. No one of any importance internationally would recognize us, certainly not in Europe. With the Scottish government effectively dissolved, we would have no power to enforce our independence as the UK government would control the military, the major functions of government like HMRC and the treasury so no money to run anything, other institutions like the police and the courts would be legally controlled by the UK government too. it's a waste of time