Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I just wondered if she only believed that gay marriage was wrong and a sin. Or does she also want women found to be adulterers to sup only dirty water. What are her views on Christians not eating fat or blood? 

Given that her constituency encompasses Stornaway and it’s magnificent black pudding I’d imagine she’s all for it. And if she’s not, she’s definitely OFTW. 

23 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I just wondered if she only believed that gay marriage was wrong and a sin. Or does she also want women found to be adulterers to sup only dirty water. What are her views on Christians not eating fat or blood

A major problem in this whole debate is that you need a reference point or some sort of definition for 'sin'.  When most people hear something being described (by a Christian) as a sin, they think that what is being said is that anyone who does that thing must be a terrible person doing a terrible thing (equivalent to something like murder).  However, that's not what the Christian hears as they say it and it's not what they mean.

Sin, as understood by a Christian, only makes sense with God as a reference point.  It's anything at all that is opposed to God and his law (see previous long winded post) and that breaks relationship with him.  So, greed is sin.  Wishing harm on someone else is sin.  Lying is sin.  Therefore, a Christian with any sort of self awareness looks at themselves and recognises that they commit all sorts of sins every day.  They have no basis for any feeling of moral superiority.  They simply fall back on God for forgiveness. 

If someone doesn't believe in God, then that understanding of sin as something that comes between them and God makes absolutely no sense.  They have to find the basis for their behaviour and moral judgements somewhere else.

But to pick up on the point in bold above, she probably thinks this ...

"Are you so dull?” [Jesus] asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them?  For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) Mark 7: 18-19

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Given that her constituency encompasses Stornaway and it’s magnificent black pudding I’d imagine she’s all for it. And if she’s not, she’s definitely OFTW. 

Need to brush up on your geography boyo. Stornoway is Alasdair Allan.

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's looking like the first torpedo into a stricken battleship as well. Fair play to Jenkins that's a terrific bit of blindsiding as well.

Oof.  There’s no doubt more where that came from.  The loonball wing of the party is slowly eating itself.  Looks like it’s down to one… as if there was any doubt.  

36 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Maybe and hear me out here. But a political party whose whole reason for being is to deliver an independent Scotland might actually want a leader who has a strategy for achieving that goal.

This is the primary reason Sturgeon resigned. She was out of ideas and how far she was willing to go.

You can't remove independence from the health or education debate. Working within the current UK framework is one of the reasons why things are so bad.  UK growth is horrendous, UK health outcomes are declining, UK education is shit too. The "Attainment Gap" on similar measures is worse in England (according to 2018 report, though not entirely reliable since Scotland has a limited set of PISA scores)

Only a fundamental breaking from UK  policy willl uncouple Scotland from the UK's decline (now maybe it becomes worse under independence but right now we are tied to the UK and will not control our own future until independence is achieved)

I'm well aware of the SNP's raison d'etre, it's just been refreshing to not hear about independence for a change.

Dangling the indy carrot but doing nothing about it was working out quite nicely for Sturgeon, electorally speaking. The suddenness of her departure would hint at another reason being the primary one.

9 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Checked, accepted and thank you for correcting me; please accept my apology. But a trifling detail. They’re all choochters anyway. 

Where does that fit in the pantheon of approved foods (notwithstanding Mark 7: 18-19)?

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

I'm well aware of the SNP's raison d'etre, it's just been refreshing to not hear about independence for a change.

Dangling the indy carrot but doing nothing about it was working out quite nicely for Sturgeon, electorally speaking. The suddenness of her departure would hint at another reason being the primary one.

If only there was some sort of recent supreme decision that scuppered any chance Sturgeon had of delivering a referendum.

What other reason are you going to suggest?

5 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Indy needs a leader or a very competent FM who does such a good day to day and improves peoples lives over the next 5 years (both ideally)

I think, that not one of these 3 contenders is anywhere near either of those roles. Id be surprised if they can change that opinion now

Yeah,  I was reminded about the old leadership analogy you see most famously applied to WWI.  And thinking about  it in the context of the SNP:

"Donkeys led by asses"

It’s actually a very sad state of affairs.

Install the idiot Yousaf and it suits the Unionist cause to have an idiot apparently in charge. 

Install the idiot Yousaf and it suits the Murrells to have their anointed one - who won’t go looking too hard for the bodies, particularly shake things up, be inquisitive in coming enquiries or be forensic on the books - apparently in charge. 

Meantime Scotland just lists along…

Yousaf it is, isn’t it? 

Edited by alta-pete

39 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If only there was some sort of recent supreme decision that scuppered any chance Sturgeon had of delivering a referendum.

What other reason are you going to suggest?

The Supreme Court ruling was in November. A month ago she said she had no intention of going.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah,  I was reminded about the old leadership analogy you see most famously applied to WWI.  And thinking about  it in the context of the SNP:

"Donkeys led by asses"

That’s not an old leadership analogy that was ever applied to WWI. You’re thinking of “lions led by donkeys”.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps you are actually thinking of “donkeys led by asses”. I wonder where that came from? I can only find it having been coined in the context of pallet-burning, swivel-eyed UK nationalism by Northern Ireland’s own David Vance (once banned from Twitter for sending “hateful” content to Marcus Rashford). You really can’t help yourself, can you?

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/a-case-of-donkeys-led-by-asses/28143711.html