Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Binos said:

When the baby boomers snuff it there will be 

Circa 2029 I reckon, 15 years, a generation from the first vote 

Maybe in just enough time to salvage our renewables wealth

9 years, and folk don't want it enough nor are the SNP radical enough to push it on. 

More Anglo retirees, lukewarm independence supporters now in their 40s-50s might not even be that bothered about it.  

Any second referendum will be very close. No chance yes will get anything like 65-70%

Edited by Kejan

8 minutes ago, Kejan said:

9 years, and folk don't want it enough nor are the SNP radical enough to push it on. 

More Anglo retirees, lukewarm independence supporters now in their 40s-50s might not even be that bothered about it.  

Any second referendum will be very close. No chance yes will get anything like 65-70%

Folk won’t want it - or anything else - until they’re encouraged to want it and presented persuasively with the arguments for it. That’s where a more radical and forceful SNP is needed - not one that is happy to play by the UK’s rules (especially now it’s clear the UK makes them up as it goes along). The UK has shown its contempt for Scottish democracy and so a Scottish national party should show its contempt for the UK and its constitutional stitch-up right back.

Sturgeon’s problem was that when whenever the UK moved the goalposts or shafted Scotland’s democratically-expressed national voice, she was never really able to capitalise on it.

3 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

I would suggest some people have looked at the situation and saw that Humza was going to walk it based on how it has gone so far. And it would be a complete disaster. Even if he wins in the end it is better to have a proper contest instead of whatever the f**k is happening right now.

1 hour ago, ScotiaNostra said:

It would be a total minter for Yousaf if the SNP "internally decide" someone has to come in late to try and ensure he desont actually win what should now be an easy win for him. Talk about a vote of confidence from your party.

Or someone is more likely thinking that Forbes being out (or at least, down) frees up a big chunk of support in the party that isn't yet committed.

1 hour ago, ScotiaNostra said:

It would be a total minter for Yousaf if the SNP "internally decide" someone has to come in late to try and ensure he desont actually win what should now be an easy win for him. Talk about a vote of confidence from your party.

It’s a total minter whichever way you spin it.  One of the biggest names in the party has outed herself as someone who would regard Ian Paisley as a progressive moderniser, another as a man nobody inside his own party trusts, and the third as someone who appeals to lunatics on the internet.  

So now the party bigwigs are having to drop somebody into a safe seat to fight whatever clusterfuck this is.  

Ben MacPherson (who I mentioned earlier in the thread) was considering running apparently but has decided not to.  Wonder if he was spooked by the fact he might’ve won it by essentially not being a TERF, someone who would be deemed socially conservative in Victorian times or Humzah Yousaf. 

Edited by Highland Capital

18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s a total minter whichever way you spin it.  One of the biggest names in the party has outed herself as someone who would regard Ian Paisley as a progressive moderniser, another as a man nobody inside his own party trusts, and the third as someone who appeals to lunatics on the internet.  

So now the party bigwigs are having to drop somebody into a safe seat to fight whatever clusterfuck this is.  

Are they?

8 hours ago, Kejan said:

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

IMO the SNP are fucked. Independence has clearly been the glue holding the various factions together over the past 15 years. Now that it’s looking virtually impossible there’s nothing to stop the Right, Centre and Left wings going to all-out-war with each other.

I reckon the best thing they could do to stop completely imploding is to acknowledge that there isn’t any genuine appetite for independence and put a hold to campaigning for it for, say, ten years, and say that they want to work productively with cross-party colleagues in WM and HR.

Can’t argue with that. Might as well just patch the independence talk. Fall back on that progressive agenda of standing up for trans rights that everyone is always talking about. Maybe find some other obscure thing to back. Electoral gold dust.

The NHS, education, transport, justice - folk are used to them being garbage anyway.

1 minute ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I've not heard anything on the Twittersphere, but I'm thinking maybe Stephen Flynn?

If it’s someone from WM then my money would be on Black. They’d probably find an MSP with a safe seat who’s willing to go to Westminster, both resign and call a by-election, then swap seats. 

13 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I expect Sturgeon may need to intervene and tell Kate her teas oot in private. I wouldn't expect the NEC to get involved at all. It could get even more divisive if they did tbh.

I'd expect Forbes to be emptied by the new SNP leader/FM. Unless by some miracle it ends up being her 😅