Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The SNP seriously need to look at getting Mhairi Black / Stephen Flynn into the Scottish Parliament or have a snap Scottish election if possible to parachute both them in as only decent candidates left now Angus Robertson has pulled out and Kate Forbes has shown her true colours.

Edited by Shannon

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

The SNP seriously need to look at getting Mhairi Black / Stephen Flynn into the Scottish Parliament as only decent candidates left now Angus Robertson has pulled out and Kate Forbes has shown her true colours.

What, by the end of the week?

Just now, renton said:

What, by the end of the week?

No, but theoretically there is no reason why any SNP member who attains the necessary nominations threshold can not stand, it would just mean having a temporary FM stand-in until such time they became an MSP, and even that isn't particularly difficult to attain thanks to the PR list system.

9 minutes ago, Bodie said:

Wonder when we'll see some polls ? and how much damages Forbes has done to her campaign.

I think it's interesting that so far hardly any MPs/MSP's have offered up their formal endorsement. OK, it's still really only the first few days of announcements and there is no obligation for them to endorse anyone whatsoever, but I can't help but feel a lot of them would have been keeping their powder dry because there is a suspicion that all three official candidates so far have a potential 'what the ever-loving f**k?' moment in them. Forbes has just gone full tilt straight off the bat, I don't think it's stretching it to think a lot of people familiar with her saw this coming a mile off and wanted to wait before backing her. 

Really, as much as her religious bigotry should get her stopped in the race, so should the stupidity and/or naivety of her positioning today. 

Like, don't be a bigot - but if you must be at least pretend you aren't. That's the compact we make in Western Democracies. Politicians pretend to think whatever way we want them to, and we promise not to berate them too much for their utter lack of integrity.

If you can't clear that bar, then you shouldn't be running for political office. 

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, but theoretically there is no reason why any SNP member who attains the necessary nominations threshold can not stand, it would just mean having a temporary FM stand-in until such time they became an MSP, and even that isn't particularly difficult to attain thanks to the PR list system.

I think it's interesting that so far hardly any MPs/MSP's have offered up their formal endorsement. OK, it's still really only the first few days of announcements and there is no obligation for them to endorse anyone whatsoever, but I can't help but feel a lot of them would have been keeping their powder dry because there is a suspicion that all three official candidates so far have a potential 'what the ever-loving f**k?' moment in them. Forbes has just gone full tilt straight off the bat, I don't think it's stretching it to think a lot of people familiar with her saw this coming a mile off and wanted to wait before backing her. 

Or there’s a fair number of troughers not wanting to fall foul of the masses….

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It'd leave the Scottish Government being run out of Westminster, a horrific, possibly fatal PR move if nothing else.

There absolutely is the case that effort should be made to get some of the WM cohort into Holyrood but I don't think it's viable at this juncture.

Best hope is McPherson or Gilruth gets into it, or McAllan rows back her earlier position and gives the party a back up option in case Yousaf fucks it, and the party ends up in the hands of an absolute spoiler candidate.

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

Or there’s a fair number of troughers not wanting to fall foul of the masses….

Well of course there's an element of electoral self-preservation, but if party members are looking at the selection of candidates and facepalming at their utter uselessness, I can't imagine fellow MP/MSP's will be wetting their knickers at the selection on offer either.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder how Cherry will react to Forbes saying she doesn't support gay marriage.

It must really hurt for her to know that a senior politician and colleague hates that people like her even exist.

It might be time for a bit of self-reflection from Cherry, but I somehow doubt it.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

It'd leave the Scottish Government being run out of Westminster, a horrific, possibly fatal PR move if nothing else.

There absolutely is the case that effort should be made to get some of the WM cohort into Holyrood but I don't think it's viable at this juncture.

Best hope is McPherson or Gilruth gets into it, or McAllan rows back her earlier position and gives the party a back up option in case Yousaf fucks it, and the party ends up in the hands of an absolute spoiler candidate.

Yes, the optics would be terrible, but I was just making the point that it is theoretically absolutely possible that we could, if we really wanted it, have an FM Black/Flynn within a few months.

I wouldn't clamour for that myself, because I genuinely am of the opinion that it should be a straightforward one or t'other in the case of MP/MSP, so I'd expect any sitting SNP MP who wanted to take up an immediate or near-immediate MSP role to stand down at Westminster, and that in itself posits more problems and issues

7 minutes ago, renton said:

Really, as much as her religious bigotry should get her stopped in the race, so should the stupidity and/or naivety of her positioning today. 

Like, don't be a bigot - but if you must be at least pretend you aren't. That's the compact we make in Western Democracies. Politicians pretend to think whatever way we want them to, and we promise not to berate them too much for their utter lack of integrity.

If you can't clear that bar, then you shouldn't be running for political office. 

Who says she’s a bigot? And if the membership of the SNP decide she’s the best (but maybe not the most ‘progressive’ candidate) does that make them all bigots too? Are they all stupid or could it turn out that you’re maybe the one that’s a wee bit out of touch?

Just now, alta-pete said:

Who says she’s a bigot? And if the membership of the SNP decide she’s the best (but maybe not the most ‘progressive’ candidate) does that make them all bigots too? Are they all stupid or could it turn out that you’re maybe the one that’s a wee bit out of touch?

It's not a question of 'who says', it's what says, and the what is her own outlook that, for the avoidance of any doubt, she just doubled-down on today.

This nonsense that 'it isn't bigotry if it's a religious belief' is just that, nonsense. Mormonry only finally conceded that black people were actually human beings a few short years ago. Presumably that wasn't bigotry or racism and just an innocent 'deeply held belief'?

7 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Team: Rangers