Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Forbes had expressed outright bigotry views and hid behind religion,  Humza as far as I’m aware hasn’t, quite the difference 

I’m not in a state, I just think we should make a stand against bigotry,   You Say it’s against 1 politician, but we are talking about 1 politician, why wouldn’t we be talking about their individual views?

Humza refused to answer a question on whether or not he personally supports gay marriage on QT some years back but his voting record means most people dont really care.

I'm not aware of anything in Forbes voting record which would give me cause for concerns but you can be sure that if she does run she'll be asked these questions.

I'm at the stage now of leaning towards Forbes even if Robertson does run. She's a better politician and intellectually light years ahead of Humza and unlike Regan has managed to keep her more objectionable views out of parliament.

She will also be bringing us closer to a Gaelic ethno-state.

44 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not in a state, I just think we should make a stand against bigotry,  

You are absolutely in a state, when your 'stand against bigotry' tantrum escalates to 'better stay in the Union than have one politician less progressive than me at Holyrood!'.  

You Say it’s against 1 politician, but we are talking about 1 politician, why wouldn’t we be talking about their individual views?

Because most people couldn't give a toss about a politician's individual views - they are separate to their actual day job which is (supposedly) to steer the country as a whole in the right direction. 

The peddling of identity issues as the acid test for political suitability is immature, Student Union level nonsense, when the country is a fucking binfire on all sorts of levels. 

13 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm not sure about Regan. She can't expect loyalty from MSPs given that she resigned from the front bench and failed to support a significant policy from the manifesto. 

She has gone as far as saying if she wins she will reverse it, or I guess not challenge the UK G. If this is the case I hope she runs another election. However I suspect it's all posturing considering she was happy to champion it in order to get elected and cash in but now it's been whipped up into a decisive issue when in the real world it's a total non-issue I guess she sees it as a vote winner.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What about Humza Yousaf?

Has a credibility issue with the public. Would normally be a hard pass from me but it's got to go to someone and I'd perhaps go for him if Robertson isn't in the frame. He's Sturgeon's choice which I guess may add some weight to his bid with the membership.

Just to add, the thought of Roberston doesn't exactly fill me with joy either, and he might not even stand (seems to be telling different people different things), but I'd take him over the names mentioned at this stage. 

Should Kate Forbes declare her interest, she'd most certainly be my preferred choice, as:

• Angus Robertson is basically a non-catastrophically bald Swinney - a nice enough bloke but utterly beige as a leader
  • Ash Regan is heavily supported by Cherry and on that basis alone is probably a bit of a c**t. And a transphobe.
  • Humza is just really average at everything. I cannot think of a single thing he could point to and say he'd be proud of. 

Forbes, whilst young, is politically astute enough to know how to keep her religious beliefs and job as a politician apart and is a far better and bolder communicator than the others.

17 minutes ago, Todesengel said:

Why?

Would only intensify the already widespread infighting, which has made the party seem like a disorganised mess on far too many occasions already.

Economically and socially to the right.

Would embolden people like Cherry.

Plus, she’s not actually very good. 

That’s four reasons to get us started. 

Edited by Londonwell

16 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Has a credibility issue with the public. Would normally be a hard pass from me but it's got to go to someone and I'd perhaps go for him if Robertson isn't in the frame. He's Sturgeon's choice which I guess may add some weight to his bid with the membership.

Just to add, the thought of Roberston doesn't exactly fill me with joy either, and he might not even stand (seems to be telling different people different things), but I'd take him over the names mentioned at this stage. 

This is utterly depressing given that you seem to be in the know, at least with the Westminster end of things. Any chance of some new entrants to the race given the ones who have ruled themselves out? It's looking now that it could be a 2 way contest between Yousaf and Regan which would be an absolute disaster.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This is utterly depressing given that you seem to be in the know, at least with the Westminster end of things. Any chance of some new entrants to the race given the ones who have ruled themselves out? It's looking now that it could be a 2 way contest between Yousaf and Regan which would be an absolute disaster.

I don’t know to be honest with you but I’d be shocked if Forbes didn’t declare for it very soon.

Agree with you that it’s far from ideal. I was a Sturgeon guy but I think the fact that no one really has been presented to the public as an outstanding candidate to take over from her (as she was in the Salmond era) tells us two things. Nicola was abit of a control freak who had a very small group of people around her and succession planning out with that never seemed to be on the agenda.

Secondly, there’s a bit of a dearth of talent at the top end of the party.

Edited by Londonwell

4 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Should Kate Forbes declare her interest, she'd most certainly be my preferred choice, as:

• Angus Robertson is basically a non-catastrophically bald Swinney - a nice enough bloke but utterly beige as a leader
  • Ash Regan is heavily supported by Cherry and on that basis alone is probably a bit of a c**t. And a transphobe.
  • Humza is just really average at everything. I cannot think of a single thing he could point to and say he'd be proud of. 

Forbes, whilst young, is politically astute enough to know how to keep her religious beliefs and job as a politician apart and is a far better and bolder communicator than the others.

I’d prefer Angus over Forbes simply because he’s been in Westminster and knows how that machine works but they’re a clear 1 and 2 other everyone else. 

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mairi McAllan has ruled herself out now.

Surely to f**k it's not between Cherry's pal and Humza? That'd be soul destroying.

Robertson simply has to declare he's in or this will quickly become a shitshow.

Looks like talent amongst the latest gang of SNP MSPs (could also throw in MPs here) is thin on the ground. Or if not talent, people who think they can garner enough support to become FM.

8 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I don’t know to be honest with you but I’d be shocked if Forbes didn’t declare for it very soon.

Agree with you that it’s far from ideal. I was a Sturgeon guy but I think the fact that no one really has been presented to the public as an outstanding candidate to take over from her (as she was in the Salmond era) tells us two things. Nicola was abit of a control freak who had a very small group of people around her and succession planning out with that never seemed to be on the agenda.

In other words it's basically no different from business, football and many other facets of life (and indeed death); things happen and we need to respond.

I get the distinct feeling too that those who accuse Sturgeon of exiting without announcing a successor, or the SNP failing to conduct any succession planning, would be screaming from the rooftops about 'stitch-ups' and that very 'control freakery' had there been any influence exerted.

As for a dearth of talent, I agree but that criticism could be applied across all political parties on these islands - they have become a haven for over-promoted bag carriers and former backroom operatives devoid of life experiences outside the political and media bubble.

13 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’m picking up quite a bit of religious intolerance towards Kate Forbes based solely on her faith. 

Humza has a faith that doesn’t always align with ‘liberal progressive’ views (whatever they might be)?. Yet no-one wants to challenge that? 

That's the tolerant bigots for you. 

9 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Nicky wanted compliance not competition. No surprise the ones with brains got chased out or marginalised, and this is what you're left with as a result.