Falkirk v Ayr United - Scottish Cup Quarter Final

callum-ayr

Brilliant result and we were the better side for the last 60 minutes so glad we got the (eventual) breaks. Good advert for non premiership football, big crowd, goals, penalties scored and missed, ogs, deflections. 

Having a strong bench has made a difference tonight. Understand why the Ayr fans are disappointed in bullens tactics, no subs and seemed to sit in after taking the lead.

Delighted for mcglynn and the players. Great draw and an easing of the finances for next year. Even more so if we make the final. Although I think Inverness are a tougher proposition than Ayr.

Brilliant night after the disappointment of Tuesday 

1 hour ago, Stoo61 said:

Every betting Pars fan has money on Ayr, its free money. 

I hope you absolutely lumped a fortune on it. 

38 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Old Firm semi-final. Means a great chance for ICT or the Bairns to get to the final.

It’s a guaranteed chance, not a great chance. 

Just now, G_&_T said:

I know someone will have written this already, so apologies, but this will mean that either Falkirk or ICT will get a European spot, doesn't it?

No wonder the coefficient's buggered.

I thought they did away with runners up playing in Europe. If the winner of the cup's already in Europe it just rolls to the next league team.

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

I know someone will have written this already, so apologies, but this will mean that either Falkirk or ICT will get a European spot, doesn't it?

No wonder the coefficient's buggered.

Nah. Don't think that's a thing anymore. It will go to the next highest finishing Prem team that hasn't already qualified.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I thought they did away with runners up playing in Europe. If the winner of the cup's already in Europe it just rolls to the next league team.

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Nah. Don't think that's a thing anymore. It will go to the next highest finishing Prem team that hasn't already qualified.

Much obliged, folks. 

No disrespect to either side, but we need our strongest teams in Europe.

Much has been made of us deserving to be where we are and it’s true - we’re in the third tier because we were run like a basket case for a number of years. But the fans have stuck by the club remarkably over that time and really  deserved a night like that. We’re on the up again. I love this club.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

We'd have drawn Rangers because we'd have become ball 1 instead of Celtic. But you're right enough otherwise. 

This is where it’s better in England. From the 4th round draw onwards, your ball number is the number your tie was drawn in the previous round.

So in the semi-final draw, the ball numbers would have been known before a ball was kicked in the quarter finals:

1 - ICT or Kilmarnock
2 - Hearts or Celtic
3 - Rangers or Raith Rovers
4 - Darvel/Falkirk v Ayr Utd

Which, as it happens, would have produced an almost identical semi-final draw to the one we got (the order of the ties, and it being Celtic v Rangers the fairly trivial differences). Although of course, applying the previous draw order to the ball numbers would have impacted the quarter-final draw, and so on. 

A season ticket holder but couldn't find the funds to get along tonight.... couldn't see how Donaldson's was a penalty but we got the rub of the green with musondas inch perfect header...can't ever remember a bigger ayr support & I started going in 77...fair play... although we dominated possession after first 20 there was little in it ..but this will help us financially & if we did get through...wow

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

This is where it’s better in England. From the 4th round draw onwards, your ball number is the number your tie was drawn in the previous round.

That means you can do “what if” to a greater degree, because the either

Yes but they don't have catholic balls and protestant balls in England.

Very funny to think that the late goals probably fucked things for the SFA because the first one didn't have time to cool down.

39 minutes ago, kiddy said:

A Tale of 2 centre halves, Donaldson & Musonda.

Whilst I don't think there was a hand ball, it might have been different had McGuire not touched the ball a second time. As I thought it would be retaken, there being about 8 players in the box when he initially kicked it.

Good game & best Ayr support at Falkirk in many a year. Not surprising when you've got your best team since the days of Templeton & Sludden.

Col Donaldson said to his team mates at the time that it was a penalty - he brought down thr Ayr forward

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Yes but they don't have catholic balls and protestant balls in England.

Very funny to think that the late goals probably fucked things for the SFA because the first one didn't have time to cool down.

Anyone who still believes in hot and cold balls in cup draws should go and join the Celtic Da’s on Twitter. 

It’s the same sort of conspiracy crap they spout.

Edited by The Master

29 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Brilliant result and we were the better side for the last 60 minutes so glad we got the (eventual) breaks. Good advert for non premiership football, big crowd, goals, penalties scored and missed, ogs, deflections. 

Having a strong bench has made a difference tonight. Understand why the Ayr fans are disappointed in bullens tactics, no subs and seemed to sit in after taking the lead.

Delighted for mcglynn and the players. Great draw and an easing of the finances for next year. Even more so if we make the final. Although I think Inverness are a tougher proposition than Ayr.

Brilliant night after the disappointment of Tuesday 

Oliver is very underrated as a centre - he’s able (not every time) to control the ball stone dead, lay it off or draw a foul. 

Massive

Backed Falkirk in play after about 40 mins which won, was very annoyed the 2nd time trying to stick another fiver on at 16/1 when the corner got awarded that led to the penalty equaliser.  Didn't bother at the new price but probably should have anyway. 

We were rotten, congrats to Falkirk. Better side won.  

Should probably also thank the 17 folk over 3 buses who apparently didn't turn up at the Ship Inn - I'd been trying all week looking for a cancellation.   Was raging at missing it up until about 10 past 8 🤣.   

Screenshot_20230313_214523_bet365.jpg

Screenshot_20230313_211035_bet365.jpg

Edited by Hursty

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Anyone who still believes in hot and cold balls in cup draws should go and join the Celtic Da’s on Twitter. 

It’s the same sort of conspiracy crap they spout.

In an era where literally nothing in Britain is run fairly and where world football typically goes about two months between billion pound corruption scandals, it's cute to think that people believe that Scottish football (the world's longest-running LARP of the Thirty Years War) is an exemplar of the Corinthian ideals.

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I was at the Dunfermline Falkirk game last week and if Mackie hadn’t been dropped after his performance, I’d be seriously questioning Mcglynn’s judgement. Brad Mckays a bombscare but not as hopeless as Mackie was 

Last season i would have agreed with you but this season as much as I never thought I would say it the big lads been solid and has managed to cut out his bombscare moments