Falkirk v Ayr United - Scottish Cup Quarter Final

callum-ayr

8 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

The same Mackie outjumped by 5'7 Richie hosler for Dunfermlines second? McKay is the more physical of the two by a country mile

Not all physicality is in the air. Mackie let himself down on Tuesday (as they all did). Akinyemi likes the ball at his feet and I think that would suit Mackie better than McKay.

Wonder if McGlynn might consider a curveball of a 5 at the back for this. With Rowe there, its the only time we've ever had the personnel for it really. It comes with the obvious issue that you cant really fit Morrison or Kennedy in, but it would maybe work against a better team with Burrell up top with Oliver.

4 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Upon further thinking I don't see us in with a chance against you guys. Every time we've played a team above us we've been absolutely pish, apart from beating partick thistle who had a B team out. Not confident

Absolute nonsense. Knocked Hibs, Morten and Partick out from various cups easily enough. Only Dundee have beaten us comfortably. Akinyemi aside we have nothing to fear. 

14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Absolute nonsense. Knocked Hibs, Morten and Partick out from various cups easily enough. Only Dundee have beaten us comfortably. Akinyemi aside we have nothing to fear. 

We create absolutely nothing against teams higher up than us. Extremely naive to use the league cup group stage games in pre season as evidence for going into this game. We drew 0-0 with Morton and the win against Hibs is a game in which we very much rode our luck. 1 goal in three games vs dunfermline and basically 0 chances against Dundee. We have seen nothing to suggest we have a chance against Ayr. I really hope I'm wrong, but we create nothing against stronger sides.

Ayr United at home in the Quarter Finals of the cup is an absolute fucking DREAM draw. We aren't favourites, but by f**k if you can't go into a one off home match against Ayr United with at least a little bit of optimism then im afraid following Scottish Football outside of following the bigot twins has nothing for you but misery. 

Its the exact same for Ayr btw, its no disrepsect to them, but It will be a long, long time before we find ourselves sat in the QF, with a home draw, and not playing a Prem team who are a nap to smash us to pieces. 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ayr United at home in the Quarter Finals of the cup is an absolute fucking DREAM draw. We aren't favourites, but by f**k if you can't go into a one off home match against Ayr United with at least a little bit of optimism then im afraid following Scottish Football outside of following the bigot twins has nothing for you but misery. 

Its the exact same for Ayr btw, its no disrepsect to them, but It will be a long, long time before we find ourselves sat in the QF, with a home draw, and not playing a Prem team who are a nap to smash us to pieces. 

It's been nothing but misery for years unfortunately😂 Of course as it is one of the most favourable draws, it will still be disappoointing if we do lose. Just trying to prevent myself from getting too excited because blowing the league and being put out of the cup within 6 days would be horrible

Just now, SouthStander1876 said:

It's been nothing but misery for years unfortunately😂 Of course as it is one of the most favourable draws, it will still be disappoointing if we do lose. Just trying to prevent myself from getting too excited because blowing the league and being put out of the cup within 6 days would be horrible

It would be a sore week for sure, but i'd contend that the league was never ours to blow, and the brief was trying to stay in it. Which obviously we failed at....

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Agreed, at this stage in the cup I'm not sure how much form or league positions will matter on the night.

8 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Maguire more than Akinyemi I think. 

Nah, other way about.

8 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Just be very physical with them early on and don't give them space. 

Space sure, but pretty sure we can take you in the physical battle.

the office finger guns GIF

I think any Falkirk fans thinking they can 'be physical' with Ayr is a bit naïve, we are used to playing bigger and fitter teams than League 1 sides. We also have a few strapping lads ourselves. The way to beat Ayr is to play 3 in the middle of the park and pass us off the park as our midfield tends to lose control of games easily. 

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

I think any Falkirk fans thinking they can 'be physical' with Ayr is a bit naïve, we are used to playing bigger and fitter teams than League 1 sides. We also have a few strapping lads ourselves. The way to beat Ayr is to play 3 in the middle of the park and pass us off the park as our midfield tends to lose control of games easily. 

Completely wrong.

The way to beat us is to shell high balls into the box all night, we have no height in defence and also, just don’t bother marking Dipo, he is chronic 😉

12 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Forwarding this to McGlynn

13 hours ago, Shibuya said:

We play against farmers every other week so we are well used to physical teams. 

On 08/03/2023 at 19:47, rb123! said:

I take it just like the FA cup down south even at this stage of the competition you're left with this nonsense of the "big clubs" games having VAR and then likes of ours and Inverness v Killie not having it. Which is massively unfair IMO...

I don't get this argument on the simple premise that a VAR decision, or the absence of VAR, could equally work in your favour as work against you and it is the same for each team in that specific fixture. Just don't see how it is unfair. Preferable, perhaps, but not unfair.