Rangers v The Mighty Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ Scottish Cup QF

roverthemoon

Rovers have won the last two cup meetings between the clubs, so surely go into this as favourites. Presumably we’ll get a bigger Ibrox crowd than the 11,422 who turned out in 2015 to see Christian Nade pap Rangers out of the Scottish Cup. Mon’ the Rovers. 

Edited by roverthemoon

• roverthemoon changed the title to Rangers v The Mighty Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ Scottish Cup QF

Coming two weeks after the Cup Final, that result may well influence the mindset. If Rangers win there, there’s the chance of a slight let off going against a “lower league” club. I guess the question is why did Partick do pretty well this week, was there complacency or has something tactical been found? We’re certainly capable of playing the style of football Rangers are accustomed to, but with a thinner team and, let’s face it, somewhat less talented players, it’s a pretty big ask. We do certainly have a couple of players that might do well in the Premiership, but that may not be enough. I expect a busy match for Jamma, and hope we’ve sorted the striker hoodoo by then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2023 at 22:13, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Any word on how ticket sales have been for our end/corner for this ? 

I’ve no clue, but tend to assume that if it was decent or impressive the club would be posting about it. My guess would be we’ll take about 1,000 but that is a pure guess.

Fear the worst here if Scott Brown (not that one) isn't fit. Granted there is always a danger of getting skelped in this fixture, going to Ibrox with a midfield best described as lacking a bit of strength and dig is the sort of thing that gives you nightmares. If he doesn't make it, I wonder whether there is merit in bringing Ngwenya into the side and either going with a back 5, or even putting Lang into a holding midfield role to add a bit of strength. Clearly this is not ideal, although playing without proper sitting midfielder seems like it is asking for a cricket score to be notched up. With Matthews out, the options are very limited. 

On 05/03/2023 at 09:13, roverthemoon said:

I’ve no clue, but tend to assume that if it was decent or impressive the club would be posting about it. My guess would be we’ll take about 1,000 but that is a pure guess.

I reckon about 1000 too. it’s been 8 years since we made a Scottish Cup QF and that was an absolute damp squib when the game was postponed and rescheduled for a Tuesday night. If the game had gone ahead on the Saturday we’d have had about 1000 there. I’d like to think we’d get more than that for the Rangers game, but it’s a Sunday lunchtime kick off against a much better team.

I’m still quite excited by the game, even if we did just lose to Partick Thistle.

Edited by Scary Bear

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

Fear the worst here if Scott Brown (not that one) isn't fit. Granted there is always a danger of getting skelped in this fixture, going to Ibrox with a midfield best described as lacking a bit of strength and dig is the sort of thing that gives you nightmares. If he doesn't make it, I wonder whether there is merit in bringing Ngwenya into the side and either going with a back 5, or even putting Lang into a holding midfield role to add a bit of strength. Clearly this is not ideal, although playing without proper sitting midfielder seems like it is asking for a cricket score to be notched up. With Matthews out, the options are very limited. 

I suspect Dick, of all the CB candidates, would be the best jury-rigged DM...not for his defending skills, but his fitness level from all those forays forward. I'd say three CB and a LWB and RWB with a remit to support Spencer and (God help us) Stanton in the middle. The problem is then we have less attacking options then we normally have, and we see how that works. I mean we'd be looking at only 3 players...perhaps Easton/Vaughan/Connolly, and they'd be swollowed up without a trace.

No, we've made our bed, so 4-2-3-1 it is, tossing one of Dick, Lang, Masson, Nolan, Stanton or McGill to the wolves alongside Spencer.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I reckon about 1000 too. it’s been 8 years since we made a Scottish Cup QF and that was an absolute damp squib when the game was postponed and rescheduled for a Tuesday night. If the game had gone ahead on the Saturday we’d have had about 1000 there. I’d like to think we’d get more than that for the Rangers game, but it’s a Sunday lunchtime kick off against a much better team.

I’m still quite excited by the game, even if we did just lose to Partick Thistle.

That Inverness game was reward for beating Rangers too. So disappointing. Suspect it would have been more on Sunday if it wasn’t a bit of a mad dash to get through with hardly anytime to go for a pint beforehand. I’m still looking forward to it mind. 

11 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Over 1600 tickets sold for the Rovers end at the moment, which I’m pleasantly surprised by. Would be great to get to 2000 but that’s probably unlikely.

1600 is brilliant. Looking forward to being part of that Rovers crowd.