Well v Well Rejects

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It is in St Mirren's interests for us to stay up otherwise they will have a lower caliber of player to recruit from in a few years.

But if you go down, we'll have players who we can pick up on the cheap.

We'll take ....erm.......

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Carson - released to allow him first team football as was second choice (never got it at Utd)

Gallacher - negotiated his way out of a contract extension , seemed to have downed tools, no guns involved

Tait - didn’t sign contract, offer reduced when Covid hit, St Mirren offered something better

Dunne - one year deal offered, St Mirren offered better

O’Hara - Alexander was reducing the size of the squad, I didn’t see an attempt by us to keep him

Main - can’t remember if there was an offer, the fans didn’t understand his contribution and didn’t care that he was gone

Watt - got money for him, Alexander didn’t seem bothered about losing him, fans would have kept him

Robinson - ran out of ideas, it happens

Lasley - at the time had nowhere to go, St Mirren job ticked lots of boxes, if he had waited six months he could have been team manager or general manager.

Is misfits a better term than rejects?

No idea why you feel the need to explain the above players leaving Motherwell. They are St Mirren players now performing far better than the current Motherwell players .  

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Tait - didn’t sign contract, offer reduced when Covid hit, St Mirren offered something better

I know we offered him a contract with a slight boost in wages but when Covid hit and shut things down he quickly slipped into Burrows office and left the signed contract on his desk only to be told we need to hold off atm due to the uncertainly of what was going on. 

I was convinced Dunne was done as he had suffered some horrible injuries and missed an entire campaign before departing but I think it was a month Alexander offered so that he could prove himself, which was not accepted.

I actually liked all the players on the list, glad to see that Carson is enjoying a better run these days as he seemed to be cursed with bad luck with injury and illness. 

Of all of our current staff at St. Mirren, I must say I wasn't overly upset when anyone of them left (aside from Las for sentimental reasons), but would probably take every single one of them back currently. Even Declan Gallagher, who downed tools the last time we were in the shit, such is the state of our defence currently. I was critical of O'Hara often when he was with us too, but the combination of how pathetic our midfield has been since he left and his form since he left (from what I've seen it looks like St. Mirren have signed the version of him I hoped we had), I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Cloontang said:

I know we offered him a contract with a slight boost in wages but when Covid hit and shut things down he quickly slipped into Burrows office and left the signed contract on his desk only to be told we need to hold off atm due to the uncertainly of what was going on. 

I was convinced Dunne was done as he had suffered some horrible injuries and missed an entire campaign before departing but I think it was a month Alexander offered so that he could prove himself, which was not accepted.

I actually liked all the players on the list, glad to see that Carson is enjoying a better run these days as he seemed to be cursed with bad luck with injury and illness. 

Dunne is the one that shocked me. I was a bit aghast when I heard we were signing a guy who had barely kicked a ball in two years but save from a few small niggles, he's been pretty much reliable in terms of availability. 

I also like him. He's not technically proficient but he's absolutely rapid for a centre half at this level and that covers his arse for a few mistakes. He loves a 75 yard cross field pass to no-one as well but that's part of his charm.

Charlie Dunne is absolutely brilliant until someone puts a baw at his feet!  Brilliant big guy though and was very popular at Fir Park.  He must still stay locally as I often see him in Motherwell Asda.

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunne is the one that shocked me. I was a bit aghast when I heard we were signing a guy who had barely kicked a ball in two years but save from a few small niggles, he's been pretty much reliable in terms of availability. 

I also like him. He's not technically proficient but he's absolutely rapid for a centre half at this level and that covers his arse for a few mistakes. He loves a 75 yard cross field pass to no-one as well but that's part of his charm.

I remember the first one he did of those landed absolutely perfectly and set up an attack.

I thought - WOW!!!

Still waiting for the second one to land at a player though 😄!

Joking aside though I'd rather he did that, than try a tricky on the deck short pass to a midfielder under pressure.  Much less risky.

And defensively he's been generally superb!

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Charlie Dunne is absolutely brilliant until someone puts a baw at his feet!  Brilliant big guy though and was very popular at Fir Park.  He must still stay locally as I often see him in Motherwell Asda.

Is it a good Asda? The one near our ground in Phoenix Park is approaching legendary status. You would not believe the amount of prospective St Mirren signings that supporters have spotted buying Pot Noodle in there. In fact, when we are linked with a player, our club website only announces it if the player is photographed in front of the SMFC seats, holding up the scarf in one hand, and an Asda Linwood receipt in the other.

33 minutes ago, Al B said:

Still comes to Motherwell games when he's not playing too. Was standing next to me at Tynecastle a couple of months back.

18 minutes ago, ropy said:

He was at the Sligo game too

Obviously loves fitba, yer all well aware that yer man is often spotted at the boy Stewart's games recently too.

Motherwell made Mark O'Hara an offer to sign a new contract at Fir Park but they could not match what we offered which is why he moved to Paisley.

The Steelmen were also in for Keanu Baccus and again lost out because we offered more than they could.

That might say Motherwell are more prudent than St.Mirren, or it might say St.Mirren are more ambitious than Motherwell. Or it might say something completely different depending on what side of the fence you are standing on.

Either way, both are 100% true.

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It is in St Mirren's interests for us to stay up otherwise they will have a lower caliber of player to recruit from in a few years.

It’s in St Mirren’s interests for Motherwell to stay up because you bring good supports to our midden, you play on a good grass surface, and it’s easy for your fans to travel to our midden, and us to yours. I’d rather you stay up, and we get rid of Livingston and Ross County.

My opinion, which I am entitled to, and hold dear. 😀