Brit Awards 2023

pozbaird

The Brits has always been shit, even when music was decent.

IMHO.

(To be honest I can't remember the last time I watched it.)

Signed,

An old fart.

Edit: And seems there was a competition for most ridiculous outfit.

Sam Smith dons latex bodysuit for Brits red carpet dominated by black  outfits | Evening Standard

Edited by Suspect Device

Seems kinda bizarre, as someone who mostly only likes music that is never going to be commercially successful, to see all these grammys and brits going to a band I saw at the Mash House less than a year ago. But well done Wet Leg, I'm chuffed for them.

3 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Seems kinda bizarre, as someone who mostly only likes music that is never going to be commercially successful, to see all these grammys and brits going to a band I saw at the Mash House less than a year ago. But well done Wet Leg, I'm chuffed for them.

Same for me with Wolf Alice. Stumbled across a very early song of theirs, saw them at King Tuts with about a hundred other folk…. Well chuffed for them too. A hard working band who are touring their arses off and absolutely brilliant live, and in the studio.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’d pay good money to see Sam Smith and Lizzo turn up at St Mirren Park wearing those oufits and attempt to enter by the West Stand turnstiles.

Some would say they’d improve your central defence, etc, etc.  AMIRITE?

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Some would say they’d improve your central defence, etc, etc.  AMIRITE?

Play Sam Smith in goals. Just get him to stand still and let balls bounce off his outfit. Lizzo would be on the bench. Actually, she could be the bench wearing that.

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Same for me with Wolf Alice. Stumbled across a very early song of theirs, saw them at King Tuts with about a hundred other folk…. Well chuffed for them too. A hard working band who are touring their arses off and absolutely brilliant live, and in the studio.

I saw Wolf Alice at Oran Mor around, I think 2015? Shortly before their first album - but (like Wet Leg last year) there was already a bit of attention building up. I think the King Tut's gig will have been earlier than that.

I don't have a lot of saw-them-when-they-were-unknown tales, but I did see Rhian of Wet Leg in her solo guise back in 2016, and Self Esteem in one of Slow Club's very early gigs back in (I think) 2006. Pleased to see her making a name for herself now as well.

1 minute ago, Yoss said:

I saw Wolf Alice at Oran Mor around, I think 2015? Shortly before their first album - but (like Wet Leg last year) there was already a bit of attention building up. I think the King Tut's gig will have been earlier than that.

I don't have a lot of saw-them-when-they-were-unknown tales, but I did see Rhian of Wet Leg in her solo guise back in 2016, and Self Esteem in one of Slow Club's very early gigs back in (I think) 2006. Pleased to see her making a name for herself now as well.

I saw U2 at Strathclyde University in 1981. On the debut album ‘Boy’ tour. Will never forget how I got into U2. There used to be a ‘Listen’ record shop across from Paisley Museum. I was in it a lot. One day, was in browsing albums and the song playing in the shop was unlike anything I’d heard at that time. I asked the guy behind the counter who it was. Turned out the bloke working there was over from Dublin for a working holiday, and was playing an Irish release single he’d brought over with him by a ‘wee band from Dublin’ he knew. It was ‘11 o’ Clock Tick Tock’ by U2. I went on to see them at Tiffanys Ballroom on their ‘War’ tour, then they went global. Actually spoke to Bono after that 1981 Strathclyde University gig. Asked him what the follow up to ‘Boy’ would sound like. His answer was ‘it won’t be weird’. 

Seems an awfy’ long time ago now.

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I saw U2 at Strathclyde University in 1981. On the debut album ‘Boy’ tour. Will never forget how I got into U2. There used to be a ‘Listen’ record shop across from Paisley Museum. I was in it a lot. One day, was in browsing albums and the song playing in the shop was unlike anything I’d heard at that time. I asked the guy behind the counter who it was. Turned out the bloke working there was over from Dublin for a working holiday, and was playing an Irish release single he’d brought over with him by a ‘wee band from Dublin’ he knew. It was ‘11 o’ Clock Tick Tock’ by U2. I went on to see them at Tiffanys Ballroom on their ‘War’ tour, then they went global. Actually spoke to Bono after that 1981 Strathclyde University gig. Asked him what the follow up to ‘Boy’ would sound like. His answer was ‘it won’t be weird’. 

Seems an awfy’ long time ago now.

So you're saying Bono was fine until he met you?