East Fife vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 15:00

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A big chance today again to put further distance between ourselves and Stirling but we shite the bed. Hugely disappointing, although injuries didn't help. Momentum now with Stirling, IMO. 

I don't think it's shiting the bed as that suggests an attitude or temperament issue and I don't consider we have problems there.  What it is though is reality kicking in, and whilst injuries, suspensions, etc., are obviously part of that, the bigger part is that the performances under our one-dimensional playing formation are no longer generating the points they were earlier in the season. 

Other clubs are now getting wise to it and whilst we got away with it last week, we didn't this week.  And if we stick rigidly to it that may become the sequence to the end of the season.  I agree with you that the momentum is now with the Binos - this could turn out to have been a crucial week for both clubs

47 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Did we just win a home game?

did we just beat Dumbarton and the score wasn’t 5-0.

did we just kept a clean sheet

did that just happen today😂

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

You missed out did Greig just go 1 4 1 4 1 as well?

Now that's just sneaky.

4 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Not exactly a surprise as we've stuck to the winning team and 4141 system all season bar one match which we were pumped in. He's not going to change the system or the line up that's been working and nor should he. Anyone complaining about that is a moaner who should be looking at the table, not wasting time second guessing what's working for us.

This post aged well 😒

On 11/02/2023 at 21:11, FifeSons said:

I thought we were absolutely miles ahead of East Fife at Christmas. It should've been far more comfortable than 2-0.  Can only imagine they'll be better this time out, though.

I'd put big Rusty in for Love and play Wallace a bit deeper.

Btw Fifers, Wallace is an absolute class act. Cheers.

Wallace didn’t show much of his class act today just as poor as he was for the Fife all of last season. 

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

You missed out did Greig just go 1 4 1 4 1 as well?

Now that's just sneaky.

I have my opinion on our current manager unlike our fan base and the board but I’ll take the points at the end of the day. Just think it’s a dream….we have to put in a winning run to convince me😂 but as you say was it sneaky or just luck I dunno.

That was really frustrating, and feels like a golden opportunity to claw some additional points clear of Stirling Albion wasted. That's not to slight East Fife, who did exactly what we have done all season. Be better in both boxes - the areas where games are won and lost.

The second-half was similar to the Stenny game last month; we played Stenhousemuir (but failed to score) and East Fife played Dumbarton (but took one of their chances on the break and didn't concede from one of the host of corners we had).

The two injuries looked to really rock us after starting the game fairly well and missing two good opportunities - first from Ally Love and then, I think, Aron Lynas.

Gregg Wylde going off was a blow. Mainly because he's a lot more suited to our style of play than Ross MacLean. Wylde is disciplined and old-fashioned. A chalk on the boots type who wants to stay wide, protect his full-back and pump crosses into the box. Whereas MacLean wants to get at players more, which proved utterly fruitless all afternoon.

Losing Martin McNiff as we conceded the goal was a big bodyblow. Suddenly we went from having a nice balance to not having a left-footer anywhere on the left side.

The goal we lost was poor on a number of accounts. A free header from a corner is bad, but it did look like it shouldn't have been a corner - and I can't help but think the frustration from the players possibly led to them failing to track Aaron Steele. I'll wait until I see it back on EFTV before I make a call for sure on that one though.

Faz has had a fair bit of stick for being too loyal to players and too loyal to the 4-1-4-1. And I understand that. But today he really went for it and, arguably, we lost our strongest aspect. Our rigid shape.

He was obviously keen to get attacking players on the park, with East Fife basically camped inside their own half inviting pressure. But the two early subs meant he had to chuck both Rusty and Declan Byrne on in one go. And it didn't really work. In more normal circumstances I think he would've gone 4-4-2 like last week, but he was obviously keen to get both strikers on.

Suddenly we had Stuart Carswell at left-back, nobody on left wing. Ryan Wallace somewhere in a central midfield that also sometimes contained Finlay Gray and Ryan Blair. Ross MacLean out on the right. And Byrne and Rusty running around together up top. It was a bit of a mess.

Anyone who has played Football Manager will have had a game where you turf everyone forward and select 'overload' and that was exactly what we did.

Fair play to Faz for going for it. But we badly missed Kalvin Orsi for some additional natural width when he was hooked, and I think we ended up playing into East Fife's hands. 

Their central defenders were absolutely superb and mopped up everything high with ease, whilst the sheer number of bodies back there meant they crowded out anything on the ground. We struggled to break them down and I can only remember Allan Fleming having one save to make - albeit a good one - from Russell McLean at close range.

There were misplaced passes all over the shop, every final decision was the wrong one and - although we had all the ball - we did exactly what teams have done against us with it this season in that position. Very little dangerous.

The second goal was just a consequence of chucking everyone forward, so I've no issue with that. May as well lose 2-0 going for it as lose 1-0 but act like you're defending a narrow defeat. But I can't help but feel we panicked a wee bit when we were only 1-0 down with plenty of time to get level.

Faz said afterwards that we've played worse and won. And I'd agree with that assessment. We weren't rubbish today and actually played a fair bit of football. But East Fife were better at defending their box, and took the chances that came there way, and that's what wins you games.

In terms of positives though, there was really only one major one for me. And that was big Peter Grant. He played very well when he came on. He was composed on the ball, strong in the air and knew how to play with his severely limited pace. At stages he reminded me of Frazer Wright in the way he moved at a snail's pace, but timed his interceptions perfectly.

There were a few players who can be worried about their starting position for next week though. With Gregg Wylde out, Ross MacLean is the natural replacement. But I thought he was totally ineffective. So too was Ally Love who, aside from missing a great chance inside two minutes, offered very little.

Depending on the deal with injuries, and neither Gregg Wylde nor Martin McNiff looked great, Faz has a big decision to make next week with selection.

If he sticks 4-1-4-1 then we will likely see the Swiss Army Knife Stuart Carswell at left-back, with someone else ahead of him. But I'm not sure who. I'd be tempted to bring Joe McKee back if he's fit to play in central midfield. But there's no real point playing him on our quagmire of a pitch.

If he goes 4-4-2 then I'd expect Gray and Blair to be our midfield two, with Wallace and Rusty up top. But I've no idea if he'd risk that given we could be without two defensively strong left-sided players.

Today was a bad day at the office. But how we bounce back next week is now the important thing. We've had a couple of blips this season that have been followed up with a return to form. Hopefully we'll see that again against Elgin.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was really frustrating, and feels like a golden opportunity to claw some additional points clear of Stirling Albion wasted. That's not to slight East Fife, who did exactly what we have done all season. Be better in both boxes - the areas where games are won and lost.

The second-half was similar to the Stenny game last month; we played Stenhousemuir (but failed to score) and East Fife played Dumbarton (but took one of their chances on the break and didn't concede from one of the host of corners we had).

The two injuries looked to really rock us after starting the game fairly well and missing two good opportunities - first from Ally Love and then, I think, Aron Lynas.

Gregg Wylde going off was a blow. Mainly because he's a lot more suited to our style of play than Ross MacLean. Wylde is disciplined and old-fashioned. A chalk on the boots type who wants to stay wide, protect his full-back and pump crosses into the box. Whereas MacLean wants to get at players more, which proved utterly fruitless all afternoon.

Losing Martin McNiff as we conceded the goal was a big bodyblow. Suddenly we went from having a nice balance to not having a left-footer anywhere on the left side.

The goal we lost was poor on a number of accounts. A free header from a corner is bad, but it did look like it shouldn't have been a corner - and I can't help but think the frustration from the players possibly led to them failing to track Aaron Steele. I'll wait until I see it back on EFTV before I make a call for sure on that one though.

Faz has had a fair bit of stick for being too loyal to players and too loyal to the 4-1-4-1. And I understand that. But today he really went for it and, arguably, we lost our strongest aspect. Our rigid shape.

He was obviously keen to get attacking players on the park, with East Fife basically camped inside their own half inviting pressure. But the two early subs meant he had to chuck both Rusty and Declan Byrne on in one go. And it didn't really work. In more normal circumstances I think he would've gone 4-4-2 like last week, but he was obviously keen to get both strikers on.

Suddenly we had Stuart Carswell at left-back, nobody on left wing. Ryan Wallace somewhere in a central midfield that also sometimes contained Finlay Gray and Ryan Blair. Ross MacLean out on the right. And Byrne and Rusty running around together up top. It was a bit of a mess.

Anyone who has played Football Manager will have had a game where you turf everyone forward and select 'overload' and that was exactly what we did.

Fair play to Faz for going for it. But we badly missed Kalvin Orsi for some additional natural width when he was hooked, and I think we ended up playing into East Fife's hands. 

Their central defenders were absolutely superb and mopped up everything high with ease, whilst the sheer number of bodies back there meant they crowded out anything on the ground. We struggled to break them down and I can only remember Allan Fleming having one save to make - albeit a good one - from Russell McLean at close range.

There were misplaced passes all over the shop, every final decision was the wrong one and - although we had all the ball - we did exactly what teams have done against us with it this season in that position. Very little dangerous.

The second goal was just a consequence of chucking everyone forward, so I've no issue with that. May as well lose 2-0 going for it as lose 1-0 but act like you're defending a narrow defeat. But I can't help but feel we panicked a wee bit when we were only 1-0 down with plenty of time to get level.

Faz said afterwards that we've played worse and won. And I'd agree with that assessment. We weren't rubbish today and actually played a fair bit of football. But East Fife were better at defending their box, and took the chances that came there way, and that's what wins you games.

In terms of positives though, there was really only one major one for me. And that was big Peter Grant. He played very well when he came on. He was composed on the ball, strong in the air and knew how to play with his severely limited pace. At stages he reminded me of Frazer Wright in the way he moved at a snail's pace, but timed his interceptions perfectly.

There were a few players who can be worried about their starting position for next week though. With Gregg Wylde out, Ross MacLean is the natural replacement. But I thought he was totally ineffective. So too was Ally Love who, aside from missing a great chance inside two minutes, offered very little.

Depending on the deal with injuries, and neither Gregg Wylde nor Martin McNiff looked great, Faz has a big decision to make next week with selection.

If he sticks 4-1-4-1 then we will likely see the Swiss Army Knife Stuart Carswell at left-back, with someone else ahead of him. But I'm not sure who. I'd be tempted to bring Joe McKee back if he's fit to play in central midfield. But there's no real point playing him on our quagmire of a pitch.

If he goes 4-4-2 then I'd expect Gray and Blair to be our midfield two, with Wallace and Rusty up top. But I've no idea if he'd risk that given we could be without two defensively strong left-sided players.

Today was a bad day at the office. But how we bounce back next week is now the important thing. We've had a couple of blips this season that have been followed up with a return to form. Hopefully we'll see that again against Elgin.

This post sums up our manager for me. He has no plan B, yes the tactic of getting a goal and sitting back has worked but we are starting to get found out and he doesn’t know what to do. Just going for it is bang average and as you point out something you do on football manager, maybe not something you should do in real life unless you have tried everything else.

It was clear in Jan we needed another left sided player but nothing happened. 

We are top and still in a good position but I have the fear.

16 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Like you I didn’t think it was a corner before the goal and I see East Fife conveniently missed that out. Also that that Peter Grant had an excellent game. On the question of subs would it not have made more sense to bring one sub on at half time and then we would still have had the option of a further one in the second half if necessary?