Queen’s Park vs Raith, 17/2/2023

Last night was a bit different to the Dundee and Motherwell games. They started on the front foot and hemmed us in for long periods.

In the QP game it was pretty much eeksy peeksy until Lang's error. We had a couple of half chances between halftime and the goal - Connolly's free kick being one of them.

After a poor performance last week, that looked at times like we were trying too hard to be very deliberate in our passing, getting back to doing the basics correctly and playing our way out of this dip in form.

So that is a good point earned against a decent side and hopefully, the flow is back for next week.    

We are in a good place as we enter the last round of matches of the season. 

Yeah Lang just has to stand up to the boy at the goal. He makes it easy for him by diving in. There was another howler later on he was lucky to get away with too. 

For all the good things he did against Motherwell he also had a couple of moments like that in that game also. 

We didn’t play well against a tough opponent and took something from the game. The application was definitely there, but we just looked really disjointed and, once again, didn’t really create an awful lot. 

Shields has had a good start, but I think missing the influence Murray had as a leader, provider and scorer is ultimately what could see us drift out of the title race. 

Only watched the highlights, but from that viewing a few things stood out. Lang didn't cover himself in glory a few times, was completely sold for their goal and was caught on the ball after that, he's been pretty shaky at the back lately. Easton looks to be coming onto a good game, was involved throughout and made some good driving runs. 

Not sure if that challenge was in the box for the penalty, but it was a stupid challenge to make regardless of position. Akio's penalty was awful, well done to get to the rebound though but a very OTT celebration for a tap in from your own missed penalty. 

Finally, Savoury and McPake wearing short sleeved shirts and gloves, pair of absolute diddies. 🤣

Edited by CountryBumpkin

I though we were ok without ever looking like winning the game. The stats however make it it look like we should have scored more (16 shots , 9 on target). In fact over the 3 league games against QP we’ve had 50 shots on goal with 26 on target with only 3 goals. 

Isma looked ok on the ball but it seems he has a reluctance to chase after it when he isn’t a favourite to win it. If we ever play with 2 up front I’d like to see how him and Akio play together as the latter is very mobile and they could potentially work well together. 

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Did you per chance happen to do the commentary on the Stranraer vs Bonnyrigg game last weekend? 

I think the commentator's bitterness at the fact that a team battling to survive relegation might celebrate a late winner might be even more ridiculous than the claim for a foul on the 'keeper.

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Isma looked ok on the ball but it seems he has a reluctance to chase after it when he isn’t a favourite to win it. If we ever play with 2 up front I’d like to see how him and Akio play together as the latter is very mobile and they could potentially work well together. 

I’d like to see Vaughan play with Isma. Isma has the vision to make a pass when it’s there, and Vaughan’s workrate/cutting combined with Isma’s physical play would be an interesting pairing.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Except it wasn't.

Screenshot_2023-02-18-08-46-21-75_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.8985888b8c7faead2335f5dcfdf2cb51.jpg

Not sure what that wee photie proves.

Anyway, the way I see it, the Raith leg that got kicked is outside the box, as is the leg kicking him, and the other is inside the box. Genuine question, is it where on his body, and where that part of the body is situated when kicked, that's the defining factor?

Not that it matters. A draw was fair.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I’d like to see Vaughan play with Isma. Isma has the vision to make a pass when it’s there, and Vaughan’s workrate/cutting combined with Isma’s physical play would be an interesting pairing.

Funny enough,  Steve Aitken was a guest on the Dumbarton Rock and Goal podcast and spoke about the winter of the Vaughan loan. They used Nade up top, Vaughan as a 10 with Robert Thompson and Andy Stirling out on the wings. They ended up with the most away goals in the league that season. It was similar to us with Baird and Tade under McGlynn mk1: if defenders left Tade he'd absolutely power forward with the board. If they marked out Tade, they left Baird with plenty of space. 

Ideally we'll see something similar. Isma isn't going to ever look phenomenal on a heat map but he's an absolute menace and is useful for bringing others into play. He had a couple of fresh air shots last night, but if he can get into a rhythm I think he'll be a great addition.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

21 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Anyway, the way I see it, the Raith leg that got kicked is outside the box, as is the leg kicking him, and the other is inside the box. Genuine question, is it where on his body, and where that part of the body is situated when kicked, that's the defining factor?

Paging Erwin Schrodinger.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Not sure what that wee photie proves.

Not that it matters. A draw was fair.

What it proves, with your statements here, is that you’re an idiot. How on earth you get that anything being kicked is outside the area for that picture is laughable.