Queen’s Park vs Raith, 17/2/2023

8 minutes ago, Spiders67 said:

What makes you say that? He played more than half an hour at Cappielow on Saturday in what was a very physical encounter, and by all accounts showed some good touches and caused Grimshaw some problems 

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

Harsh I’d say. He’s looked really bright whenever I've seen him although he is incredibly lightweight so I wouldn’t start him at this stage. Definitely a player there as he did look decent against Morton 

"Nowhere near ready" was perhaps harsh, but it was more a comment on Henderson than Healy. There must be a reason why an incredibly lightweight (thought he was ok against Morton, but nowhere near up to it physically tonight and brushed off the ball easily) 19 year old signed from the WOSFL is getting on ahead of a guy that's played for Hearts this season.

I didn't expect the somersault, so that was nice. And I'd have taken a point before the game, so that's nice too. 

I only saw the headline, but I believe Ian Murray said beforehand something like "We need to win to start reeling in the likes of Queen's Park" and ultimately that's true. But it's also probably not really what we're aiming for, with the season we've had. We're shooting for fourth, and a point away at the league leaders isn't a bad result with that in mind, by any stretch. 

We probably should've done more in the first half. We had a lot of the ball in Queens' half but never quite managed to turn that into proper chances. Easton in particular seemed to be able to beat two men whenever he got the ball, but there was always a third there to stop him. 

Second half, Queens still looked a bit sluggish until the goal, but that really turned the game around. Shields took it really well, and then they're tails were up and while proper chances were still relatively rare, a second goal for Queens looked more likely than an equaliser. 

Akio did well to follow in on a fairly weak penalty, and all that matters is that the ball ended up in the net. Agree wholeheartedly that he and Goncalves look like upgrades on Connell and Frederiksen. I really like the look of Isma, he's got a presence of mind that we just haven't seen in the box before now this season. 

If we were title contenders, that's the kind of game we would've won. But we're not, and we drew it, which is a fair reflection on the game, and our season as a whole. 

I thought we edged it, aside from the last ten minutes when we became a bit ragged.

I'm a big fan of Lang, but the second half tonight was arguably his worst 45 minutes in a Rovers jersey.

Can't understand why Millen doesn't take the penalties. He was sticking them away for the Pars when he was a teenager and always looks confident and assured for Rovers in shootouts.

Brown Man of the Match for me.

Edited by Specky Ginger

Also, the referee was absolutely brutal. 

There are two categories of bad referees; those who get decisions wrong, and those who get the majority correct but can't manage a game.

Craig Napier (I think? Might be naming the wrong guy there) is absolutely the latter. The penalty aside, which did look like a foul but may or may not have been outside the box, I don't think he actually got much wrong. Certainly not much of any consequence. But the game was all the poorer for his involvement. Just rattling around, getting in the way, delivering lectures to all and sundry, infuriating everyone. No sense of what a game of football should be, and how a referee can best facilitate that. 

Edited by Against The Machine

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

There are two categories of bad referees; those who get decisions wrong, and those who get the majority correct but can't manage a game.

Craig Napier (I think? Might be naming the wrong guy there) is absolutely the latter. The penalty aside, which did look like a foul but may or may not have been outside the box, I don't think he actually got much wrong. Certainly not much of any consequence. But the game was all the poorer for his involvement. Just rattling around, getting in the way, delivering lectures to all and sundry, infuriating everyone. No sense of what a game of football should be, and how a referee can best facilitate that. 

He even came the c**t with a ball boy.

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Stopping the game to speak to the ball boy should have been the highlight, but stopping the game while the ball was in play to let Raith make a substitute was definitely the most ridiculous decision of the night. Bit of a shambles all round from the ref IMO.

Not that it caused the result. The penalty was a stonewaller, and both teams huffed and puffed without really creating much. If you look at the BBC stats on the match you'd think Raith bossed it but Ferrie had one save to actually make aside from the penalty. We were poor but I still think we created the best chances to score. One for the xG nerds I suppose.

At least Morton did us a favour and it's another week at the top of the league.

Thank you.

Thought a draw was fair. We were a bit sluggish as were Queens it seems. Connolly, Stanton and Lang were all below par tonight. And some of Dylan Easton’s decision making at the crucial point was questionable. Trying to do too much. The positives were we keep the unbeaten run going and Akio and Isma, whilst not perfect, both bring far more than Connell and Big John. Highlight of the game definitely Akio’s somersault. 

That referee was an absolute arse. Thankfully didn’t disadvantage anybody but still an arse. 

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

Thought if anyone deserved to win it was us though a draw was a fair result. Really like the look of isma, not as convinced about Akio though you can't fault his work rate and he has some turn of pace. Lang was really poor tonight. Nolan I thought was motm. 

We certainly have upgraded striker for the final 12 matches, so that’s a plus.

Now we know we are getting some money, we need to start signing players.

There's really not much between these sides at all.  Draw was fair enough, albeit a wee bit dissapointing not to win it.  I thought we shaded it over 90 mins, but happy enough to keep the unbeaten run going.

Isma and Akio look like significant upgrades on our previous options up front, fair play.

Looked like Spencer took a sore one as the referee blew for full time. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Nothing between the sides like other have pointed out. Just can’t seem to get one over them in the league tho this season. Final game at Kirkcaldy should be a good one. 

19 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Looked like Spencer took a sore one as the referee blew for full time. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Nothing between the sides like other have pointed out. Just can’t seem to get one over them in the league tho this season. Final game at Kirkcaldy should be a good one. 

awwww..... a wee shame....only 1 point.?

7 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Agree wholeheartedly that he and Goncalves look like upgrades on Connell and Frederiksen. I really like the look of Isma, he's got a presence of mind that we just haven't seen in the box before now this season. 

Watching the highlights, just seeing Isma dragging the ball from the far left across the top of the area and cracking off a shot right of center shows he’s a hold up capable player. You can see how he makes the opposition wary of his physicality, something our lighter players (or Little John)  haven’t done/didn’t do this year. The guy that’s willing to fight his way inside, and is willing and able to pass, is a real concern for the defense.

4 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

Decent enough point. If we could just stop losing goals in the first 5mins of the second half then that would be lovely.

Commented on this at the game. I think that’s the 7th or 8th time this season we’ve conceded within the first 5 or 6 minutes of the restart. Something we really do need to improve on. 

Just watched the highlights, Lang is so rash at the goal. Shields is pulling the ball down about 16 yards out, facing 180° away from the goal. If Lang just stays goalside and doesn’t try to win it, there no way Shields is getting a shot away. He goes in to try win the ball when it really isn’t necessary and it costs us the goal. I really like Lang, both himself and the team have obviously done really well since he came back in, but I do think he’d  benefit from not being quite so aggressive all the time. It’s a difficult one because his aggressiveness is one of his main qualities, but a little more finesse in when to apply it would make him even better - and the good news is that this is something that definitely can be coached by someone like Murray who played in the top flight all his career as a defender. 

43 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Commented on this at the game. I think that’s the 7th or 8th time this season we’ve conceded within the first 5 or 6 minutes of the restart. Something we really do need to improve on. 

Looked at the stats on that a while back. We’d lost something like a third of all our goals conceded in a 12 minute period around half time. Did it again against Motherwell and again last night. Murray needs to look at what’s happening in the dressing room at half-time because it’s not working.