Queen’s Park vs Raith, 17/2/2023

Another game on slightly shorter rest for the Rovers, coming off a pair of heartening, if draining, Cup matches, while Queen’s Park, is coming off the Cup fiasco and an unexpected display versus Morton. With four teams within 2 points in 4th to 7th, and the top three all suddenly looking bit wobbly, it’s certainly an interesting game. So which way will it go, will the good feeling at Raith evaporate, or will gloom at Queen’s Park intensify?

With our recent injury crisis hopefully abating, I feel better about our chances here, but am very wary about Queen’s given our league results, especially that nasty 2-5 in November. It does seem that when things go wrong, Queen’s can concede quite a few, but they’ve also been scoring plenty. I’m going for a scrappy 2-2 draw.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Syngenta are at home on the Saturday. 

Not according to the EoSFA website.

East of Scotland Football Association & League (eosfl.com)

They might not bee playing at all as they scratched their last game due to lack of players.

Stenhousemuir however are at home to Albion Rovers that day.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Tell’em to ask RaithTV to do it, they did it well on short notice at Linlithgow..

They've not done it for any Friday night games that haven't been on TV. The only game they have streamed this season was ICT at 5:30 on a Saturday. Don't think they stream games as they want more QP fans going to Ochilview.

29 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

They certainly don't want them going anywhere near Hampden.

Amusingly, I checked the prevailing winds for the area (90%+ southwest), and the location of the Royal Box (on the west side of the pitch) is ideal to avoid any odours from the unwashed on the east side, so something else must be holding them up.

PM (post Murray), we've won at Inverness, beaten Ayr and lost by a goal at sunny Greenock, so not anything to be too concerned about. Certainly, the Morton performance could have been better, but once we got going after an hour, we did ok.

Poor goal to lose, but Ferrie has been exceptional this year and contributed immensely to the two clean sheets against Ayr and ICT.  No cause for alarm at the back. 

If we can give Shields the ball at his feet, that'll help.  Worth playing someone up with him?

Home win; clean sheet.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

I think we’ve been pretty unlucky in the two league games with QP this season. I felt we edged the first game at Ochilview and while you can never say you deserved anything from a game where you lose five goals, the home game was a very weird one where on another day they don’t get a couple of deflections and we take our chances. Hopefully due luck some this time round. 

Are we verging on having too many attacking options? Gullan, Akio and Isma will all feel they deserve to play up front and we only play one. Stanton and Vaughan both deserve to play behind, but only one can (if Vaughan is back). We might end up with Vaughan/Gullan being pushed wide to accommodate players but Easton and Connolly pick themselves on current form. And we have Connor McBride there too who suddenly is actually doing quite well, and the unknown of Ethan Ross coming back at some stage. Nice problems to have of course but Ian Murray has a hell of a juggling act coming up I think. 

Raith have looked decent most times I’ve seen them this season. Even the 5-2 was an utterly bizarre one, where they were actually far from the worst side we’ve played. They were unfortunate at the Ochilview game, as well, I thought. They should be flying after a win against a top flight team.

Shields has looked good, but we’ll see over the coming weeks how the loss of Murray affects us. Not particularly outlandish to suggest that losing someone who scored eighteen goals and created another nine is probably going to hinder us. It’s not just that, though. It can affect the whole balance of the team, as well as the influence in the dressing room. 

Losing the horrific goals at Morton also possibly masked how little we created in the game. Really huffed and puffed. We’ve reacted well to losses before, though, so hopefully we can go and do the same again. Expecting this to be a really tough game.

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Are we verging on having too many attacking options? Gullan, Akio and Isma will all feel they deserve to play up front and we only play one. Stanton and Vaughan both deserve to play behind, but only one can (if Vaughan is back). We might end up with Vaughan/Gullan being pushed wide to accommodate players but Easton and Connolly pick themselves on current form. And we have Connor McBride there too who suddenly is actually doing quite well, and the unknown of Ethan Ross coming back at some stage. Nice problems to have of course but Ian Murray has a hell of a juggling act coming up I think. 

It's certainly a bit of a novelty having a few options for once. Playing Isma would mean we would need to adapt our game a bit because he won't offer the running that Gullan does but he showed enough on Saturday to suggest he might be worth a shot from the start sooner rather than later. It would be harsh on Gullan though. Akio offers another decent option from the bench.

For me, Stanton has to start ahead of Vaughan, which is harsh on Vaughan as well as he was starting to get his sharpness back. Not 100% sure that we'll risk Vaughan in this one though.

Our record away from home this season against the teams currently above us in the table shows we've collected the sum total of 0 points from 5 matches, something that will need to change soon if we want to contend in the battle for that 4th place. A draw here would be a more than decent start.

I like the idea of Stanton and Golçaves starting. Isma certainly looked the part of a hold-up attacker, exactly the type we’ve been saying we need. Then we have Vaughan and Gullan’s speed and fresh legs off the bench at the 60 minute mark. If we need an additional attacking option, we have Akio in the wings.