Kelty v Queens

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's what I said. My point is that he's bringing a bit of professionalism to the place though and that warm up was far more intense than anything we've seen recently. Once he has time to bring in actual football players I think the two things will go hand in hand very well. 

Yeah I know.  I was being slightly facetious.

There was something comical about suggesting that signs of improvement are clearly evident though, owing to something you saw outside of a 90 minutes we've just been hammered in.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah I know.  I was being slightly facetious.

There was something comical about suggesting that signs of improvement are clearly evident though, owing to something you saw outside of a 90 minutes we've just been hammered in.

It was to put another spin on the ridiculous negativity. The way some folk have reacted is that we'd be as well getting rid of Bartley already. Did anyone seriously think he'd be able to get much better piss from the cocks he has? He's obviously going to bring high intensity to training which I like to see and once he can get some guys who can play football I'll be excited to see how that transfers onto the park. 

9 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

If you read earlier in the thread Greenacres and Rjc to name but two. IMHO we have shown improvement but will be a bumpy road with this playing staff. I just feel for Marv who had been handed a rotten hand and was really annoyed watching that gutless shower of players today. I’ve watched this club for over 50 years and that lot will shuffle off at the end of the season having given us zero commitment….

When I see genuine improvement on the pitch translating into results I will be absolutely delighted to acknowledge it. I am sorry but that second half shambles yesterday was arguably one of our worst displays of the season (and that says something). Of course it’s very early days in his tenure but I would have expected a lot more than we witnessed yesterday. No proper right back picked despite us signing Logan, Gibson again playing out of position to his and the team’s detriment, and a barrage of substitutions that made us worse. 

That is honestly how I saw it - I can only comment on what I saw not what might or might not happen in the future under Marvin. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is anyone else finding the bragging of all the Kelty supporters on this thread, hard to stomach?

😂😂 no bragging here needed you guys are doing a good job of putting the boot into yourselves 😂😂will say though it’s something else a 38 year old comes on and turns the game on it’s head 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is anyone else finding the bragging of all the Kelty supporters on this thread, hard to stomach?

The thing that is hard to stomach is the fact that we have assembled such a shower of shit to pull on the blue shirt. You would hardly imagine we could have trumped the failures of the last couple of seasons - but here we are. 

Roll on the end of the season. 

A mediocre first half from both sides but once we got the first goal it was pretty much plain sailing from there. Alfie continues to be a handful when he’s on form, not many defenders can handle of pace and power. Would love to think he will be here next season but can’t see it.

I noticed that Low and McNab were both allowed to leave in the last week or so and that resulted in yesterdays threadbare bench. Cardle however was the game changer and a fantastic 30 mins or so from him. 

I keep on looking up the table at the play off positions but I think too big of an ask from this position, especially with top 3 still to play away from home before end of season. 

9 minutes ago, crowie said:

A mediocre first half from both sides but once we got the first goal it was pretty much plain sailing from there. Alfie continues to be a handful when he’s on form, not many defenders can handle of pace and power. Would love to think he will be here next season but can’t see it.

I noticed that Low and McNab were both allowed to leave in the last week or so and that resulted in yesterdays threadbare bench. Cardle however was the game changer and a fantastic 30 mins or so from him. 

I keep on looking up the table at the play off positions but I think too big of an ask from this position, especially with top 3 still to play away from home before end of season. 

Think Agyeman plays much better when Austin isn’t in the line up just my opinion, also think another season with us won’t do him any harm as he is still a hit n miss form wise  but could probably benefit massively if full time, just glad we have him for the time being 

6 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

When I see genuine improvement on the pitch translating into results I will be absolutely delighted to acknowledge it. I am sorry but that second half shambles yesterday was arguably one of our worst displays of the season (and that says something). Of course it’s very early days in his tenure but I would have expected a lot more than we witnessed yesterday. No proper right back picked despite us signing Logan, Gibson again playing out of position to his and the team’s detriment, and a barrage of substitutions that made us worse. 

That is honestly how I saw it - I can only comment on what I saw not what might or might not happen in the future under Marvin.

As a matter of interest, how much have you seen of the 17 year old Gibson, outside of his 22 appearances for the first team this season, almost all of which were at right wing back, to convince you right wing back isn't his position?

Do agree that every sub we made yesterday made us worse though.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do agree that every sub we made yesterday made us worse though

So the player we all say coming on(Wilson) is our best player made our team worse. We need minutes in his legs to get him back. Cochrane was knackered because he was the only one in midfield working hard and Murray was again hopeless that's why Bartley brought the 2 midfielders on. The first 2 subs were the ones that weakened us if that is what you are talking about.

14 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Think Agyeman plays much better when Austin isn’t in the line up just my opinion, also think another season with us won’t do him any harm as he is still a hit n miss form wise  but could probably benefit massively if full time, just glad we have him for the time being 

Don't know who picks your man of the match but I was pretty incredulous Agyeman didn't get it yesterday. He was easily the best player on the park, although Joe Cardle's half hour cameo is worthy of mention certainly. The two of them won you the game.

It was an odd game. We deserved to lose for the way we folded cheaply and I completely understand the manager's obvious frustrations but I didn't think it was quite as bad as it looked. We were the better side first half, albeit there wasn't a lot in it. Kelty didn't particularly trouble us in it and Jamieson's made a very good save from Kabia's diving header to keep it level. It's a tight pitch and we weren't able to really use our wing backs to any success out wide.

Second half we didn't look nearly as much at the races and I understand why he's made a couple of changes to try to liven us up but I thought Kabia was having a decent game and showed signs of troubling Kelty with his pace. Assuming he didn't have a knock I wouldn't have taken Cochrane off either. Thought he was about our best player on the day. Kelty to be fair were getting on top before the penalty call but it was slightly controversial. Given by the linesman, under current guidance it's probably a penalty but Hendrie's doing no more than running along to get close to Cardle when the ball's fired at him from 3 or 4 yards and hits his arm as he's running. When Hendrie struck a defender's arm with a cross first half nothing was given! We then fell apart though, didn't look any better for any of the subs and Wilson sold Brydon into a hopeless position for the 2nd. Great finish though. 3rd's just horrible but game was gone by then. Dabrowski didn't have a save to make, Kelty were clinical when they got in. Their only 3 shots on target were all goals.

3 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

So the player we all say coming on(Wilson) is our best player made our team worse. We need minutes in his legs to get him back. Cochrane was knackered because he was the only one in midfield working hard and Murray was again hopeless that's why Bartley brought the 2 midfielders on. The first 2 subs were the ones that weakened us if that is what you are talking about.

Pretty confident I've never said he was our best player. And yes on the day he absolutely did. Cochrane was playing well and Wilson gave away a goal as soon as he got on and gave away the free kick that led to the 3rd too, albeit I wasn't convinced it was a foul.

On the day, every sub weakened us for me. Clearly some of them are capable players but it didn't work out yesterday.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As a matter of interest, how much have you seen of the 17 year old Gibson, outside of his 22 appearances for the first team this season, almost all of which were at right wing back, to convince you right wing back isn't his position?

To be honest I haven’t seen him other than in the first team matches you mention. I am gobsmacked if that is the player’s preferred position. A player I really like but fear that he won’t reach his potential in a role where a big emphasis is on defending and tracking back. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't doubt you for a minute SD about Gibson's history of the right wing back role.  However, the Queens fans on here are mostly making their observations based on his first team showings.  They're not daft and they all see that the guy is a real talent going forwards and could be a real weapon for the team, whereas that aspect is being diluted by his defensive duties.  We're painfully short of potential game changers from the midfield to front so why not experiment with him further forwards in the tail end of this miserable season to see what transpires, and we may well unearth a gem?

I’ll take SD’s word for it that Gibson has played right wing back at youth level as well, but I’m not convinced it’s his best position either. 

He tracks back ok for me, but he’s poor on a one on one situation when somebody runs at him. He’s also pretty suspect positionally. There’s not been enough evidence to say for sure, but I strongly suspect he’d be more effective as a winger with a full back behind him. 

Edited by JK_Queens

Thought we were the better side first half yesterday. We didn't create that much but Kelty keeper made a fine save from Kabia's header.

Sadly once we fell behind we again absolutely collapsed. The 2nd goal is a shambles from our point of view albeit it's a good finish. 

Agree with the views above that we got worse rather than better with the substitutions made.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

27 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I don't doubt you for a minute SD about Gibson's history of the right wing back role.  However, the Queens fans on here are mostly making their observations based on his first team showings.  They're not daft and they all see that the guy is a real talent going forwards and could be a real weapon for the team, whereas that aspect is being diluted by his defensive duties.  We're painfully short of potential game changers from the midfield to front so why not experiment with him further forwards in the tail end of this miserable season to see what transpires, and we may well unearth a gem?

14 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

I’ll take SD’s word for it that Gibson has played right wing back at youth level as well, but I’m not convinced it’s his best position either. 

He tracks back ok for me, but he’s poor on a one on one situation when somebody runs at him. He’s also pretty suspect positionally. There’s not been enough evidence to say for sure, but I strongly suspect he’d be more effective as a winger with a full back behind him. 

To be clear, I never actually said right wing back was his best position. I queried, given he doesn't live in Dumfries and presumably doesn't see much of the youths / reserves, what knowledge rjc had of his "best position" to be criticising successive managers for playing him out of it, one of whom is the boy's actual father! Turns out it was none at all. 🙄

I've not seen all that much of his youth career either but he certainly wasn't thrown into wing back out of the blue in the first team. He was definitely playing it for the Reserves this season and last and I think generally for the 18's he played either right wing back or right wing depending what formation they used. I completely agree that his defending needs work and it's been obvious a couple of sides, Dunfermline and Falkirk in particular, have focussed on that. If people want to say he's not good enough to play it or we should be playing a back four instead they are free to do so. I queried the suggestion that he's "out of position" considering, certainly at any remotely senior level, he has seldom played anywhere else.