Lesser Hampden

The Sun recently reported a story that the SFA are exploring the idea of moving their training base from the Oriam back to Glasgow as part of a Hampden Hub involving both Lesser Hampden and the site at Toryglen.

Willie Haughey who was involved in negotiations back when the SFA wanted to buy Hampden from Queens Park was on Go Radio a couple of nights ago talking about this, highlighting one example that may be motivating this move.

I'll give you a wee story about why Scotland would like to get out of the Oriam. I won't mention who was the manager at the time, it wasn't Stevie (Clarke).

So they (Scotland) went through to train, they had a big game coming up. Scotland have always thought they've played second fiddle to the oval shaped ball at the Oriam and they could live with that but they went in to use the pitch the manager and all the players behind couldn't get onto the pitch at the moment their time was booked for (4 ' Clock) and they couldn't get on.

They had to wait until these two guys had finished a frisbee final.

Willie Haughey

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10167996/scotland-steve-clarke-training-edinburgh-oriam-hampden/

Edited by 2426255

• 1 month later...

We've had a little issue, mainly with the accommodation through in Edinburgh so we have decided to come through here (Glasgow). Obviously Queen’s Park have put in a fantastic pitch at Lesser Hampden. They have offered us the use of that facility so we're going to stay in a city centre hotel and travel down. It's 10 minutes on the bus in the morning, it will be a mini bus. We'll just shuttle the lads down as and when they need to go. It will be different to what we have been used to, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest. I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/why-scotland-will-be-moving-back-to-glasgow-as-little-issue-in-edinburgh-prompts-switch-4064493

Well I know we don't have a precious group that are demanding to move out of the Oriam, but I know they didn't love it and they're well behind the decision to bring it back to Glasgow have a base in the centre and looking forward to what sound like it's going to be a really good pitch at Lesser Hampden. 

Stephen McGinn

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3frgM6ly1g8bx1MDo0N9XB?si=ea87edc3792c42f2

Edited by 2426255

" It's 10 minutes on the bus in the morning, it will be a mini bus. We'll just shuttle the lads down as and when they need to go".........is it just me, or does this sound a bit Sunday League to anyone else??

Listen, if Steve Clarke and Co think it's in the best interests to switch training to Lesser Hampden then who am I to say it's not, but surely the whole set up still needs to remain professional.

16 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

" It's 10 minutes on the bus in the morning, it will be a mini bus. We'll just shuttle the lads down as and when they need to go".........is it just me, or does this sound a bit Sunday League to anyone else??

Listen, if Steve Clarke and Co think it's in the best interests to switch training to Lesser Hampden then who am I to say it's not, but surely the whole set up still needs to remain professional.

Staggering that in 2023 we treat our national team like this. Surely they deserve better?

40 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Putting your team up in a hotel and bussing them to training seems the exact opposite of Sunday league unless budgets have improved at that level.

Indeed.

I doubt any of the current Scotland Internationals have ever got changed in a shipping container. 

• 2 months later...

The Scottish FA has agreed a deal with Queen’s Park Football Club for the use of Hampden Park as the club’s registered home ground for season 2023-24. As part of the arrangement, the Scotland National Teams will utilise Lesser Hampden as a state-of-the-art training facility in addition to Oriam, Scotland’s National Performance Centre in Edinburgh. The national stadium playing surface will be fully renovated following the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert on July 23 and be available for use by Queen’s Park following the 150th Heritage International against England on September 12.

We are pleased that we have been able to reach agreement with Queen’s Park, who will use the national stadium for the forthcoming season. As part of the agreement, our Scotland National Teams will be able to utilise the world-class facilities at Lesser Hampden. Steve Clarke and the men’s national team have already spoken highly of Lesser Hampden, having used it as a training base for the back-to-back wins against Cyprus and Spain in the UEFA EURO 2024 qualifiers and hopefully it can continue to play a part in our success.

With the increasing fixture calendar across all of our national teams, and with the need to ensure provision for coach education and referee training and development, it is hugely beneficial to access Lesser Hampden as well as our long-standing partnership with the National Performance Centre at Oriam.

Ian Maxwell

We are excited to be able to return to Hampden Park for what will be an exciting season for us in the cinch Championship. While we continue our redevelopment of Lesser Hampden, we are happy to provide the state-of-the-art facilities to the Scotland National Teams as part of the rental agreement. I’m sure our fans and visiting fans will look forward to games at Hampden Park next season and we are also pleased to be able to support the efforts of our national teams in the process. 

Leeann Dempster

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/queen-s-park-to-return-to-national-stadium-next-season-as-lesser-hampden-redevelopment-continues/

Edited by 2426255

• 2426255 changed the title to Lesser Hampden
8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The Scottish FA has agreed a deal with Queen’s Park Football Club for the use of Hampden Park as the club’s registered home ground for season 2023-24. As part of the arrangement, the Scotland National Teams will utilise Lesser Hampden as a state-of-the-art training facility in addition to Oriam, Scotland’s National Performance Centre in Edinburgh. The national stadium playing surface will be fully renovated following the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert on July 23 and be available for use by Queen’s Park following the 150th Heritage International against England on September 12.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/queen-s-park-to-return-to-national-stadium-next-season-as-lesser-hampden-redevelopment-continues/

Have they said whether QP are starting next season with a run of away games or are they using another ground for their first few home games?

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Have they said whether QP are starting next season with a run of away games or are they using another ground for their first few home games?

According to the Queens Park website they will play their home games at Lesser Hampden prior to September 12th after which they will use Hampden Park.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-to-return-to-national-stadium-next-season/

On 20/03/2023 at 20:28, Crawford Bridge said:

Indeed.

I doubt any of the current Scotland Internationals have ever got changed in a shipping container. 

Andy Robertson when he played for Queen's Park might have visited some less than salubrious lower league changing facilities.

On 20/03/2023 at 17:27, craigkillie said:

Surely footballers all over the world stay in hotels and have to get a bus to their training ground? Very few training grounds will have on-site accommodation.

Killie should do the right thing and offer Scotland their facilities.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I wonder if this will result in all women’s football being turfed out of Hampden.

Seems unlikely right now given the players are already threatening to sue the SFA for not being treated equally.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Andy Robertson when he played for Queen's Park might have visited some less than salubrious lower league changing facilities.

I'd imagine some of the temporary facilities in Scotland during COVID would've been little more than shipping containers too.