Hamilton Academical v Raith Rovers: THE FINAL

accies1874

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’ll take back what I said about they should have given us more tickets, fair play to the Accies fans for overcoming the Club’s stupidity in marketing and hours.

Stanton at the 10 is, I think, a good reason for a decent amount of our threat. He is a hard worker with a nice vision and touch, and certainly has come on strong with Matthews out when in a more AM role, he’s just not a happy DM. The Connolly/Vaughan issue is, as noted, a difficult one. From what I can see, Vaughan’s threats recently have been coming in from deep and wide, where Connolly has been doing his best from a deeper position and the edge of the box. Vaughan’s conditioning seems recovered, so that’s out for making a difference, but as Ro Sham Bo notes, I do think Connolly offers a bit more graft, if a little less guile, than Vaughan.

If we go back to last week, here’s the starters: MacDonald, Dick, Nolan, Spencer, Vaughan, Lang, Stanton, Brown, Easton, McGill, Gonçalves. Obviously MacDonald, Dick, Nolan and Millen (for the Cup tied McGill) are in…Lang is an outside possibility for the eleventh, but the way IM talked, while not specifically addressed, it seems he’s fine…so that’s 5. Brown and Spencer makes 7, while Gonçalves certainly showed enough up top, that’s 8. Stanton we agree on, and Easton has proven a worthy starter too, that’s the 10…so, yea, Vaughan looks the odd man out for Connolly. Here’s the real question though, would you pull Connolly for Vaughan in the last 30, or would Vaughan more,likely replace someone else, probably Gonçalves?

Won’t get 90 out of Goncalves I wouldn’t have thought. More likely that Vaughan comes on for him and then one of Easton or Connolly to come off for Ethan Ross later on. Depends how the game is going as well, of course. 

Absolutely buzzing for this tomorrow. I missed the Rangers final and the Queen of the South one, so my first experience of seeing us in a final. It’s only taken 25 years! 

Looking forward to this.  Not fussed as such about the cup itself, we've won it twice - and once was the best way it will ever be possible to win it.  But I would like to see Murray win something, I've enjoyed this season and genuinely think he could be a successful manager for us- winning this cup would be a nice start.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Won’t get 90 out of Goncalves I wouldn’t have thought. More likely that Vaughan comes on for him and then one of Easton or Connolly to come off for Ethan Ross later on. Depends how the game is going as well, of course. 

Absolutely buzzing for this tomorrow. I missed the Rangers final and the Queen of the South one, so my first experience of seeing us in a final. It’s only taken 25 years! 

Forgot Ross…yea, pull Gonçalves for Vaughan/Easton for Ross and watch a tired Accies defence implode from their pace

41 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Don’t understand this Vaughn dropping to the bench chat.

Winning team, most comfortable victory of the season and Vaughn bagging 2 means he starts all day long for me. I’d wager he will.

I don't think he's in our strongest 11 this season. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't think he's in our strongest 11 this season. 

He's got as many league goals as any in a notional strongest side (outside of Connolly) I think he'd be hard to overlook for tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, renton said:

He's got as many league goals as any in a notional strongest side (outside of Connolly) I think he'd be hard to overlook for tomorrow.

Stanton is better as a 'no 10' and Connolly and Easton are now established as our first choice wide players. He could get the nod ahead of Gonçalves but he's not suited to the lone striker role at all. 

I think Vaughan has to start after last week. I think the only potential changes to the team would be Connolly for someone, which is a hard call for Murray and obviously millen should come in at rb unless he goes with masson but I don't see it unless millen is still injured. 

Must say though regardless of the result, we've got a big crowd coming and with accies getting 2k sold, it should make for a good atmosphere despite the diddyness of the stadium were playing in. I'm looking forward to it though as I had to miss out on last seasons final due to covid. I'm able to bring the wee one this year as well. Trying to convince her to wear my coca cola cup strip from when I was roughly her age is a struggle though... 

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Stanton is better as a 'no 10' and Connolly and Easton are now established as our first choice wide players. He could get the nod ahead of Gonçalves but he's not suited to the lone striker role at all. 

I'd start the same side as last week, but with Millen in for McGill if I'm honest.

Yeah, Millen in for McGill is the only change for me. Murray said he told the players before last week’s game they were in pole position to start the cup final and it was up to them to hold on to their jersey with their performance. You can’t say that and then drop anyone from last week’s side, particularly Vaughan who had probably his best game since returning from injury.

Harsh on Connolly who has been excellent this season but after watching last week’s game, he’d have expected to miss out. He’ll still have a big part to play off the bench along with Ethan Ross I think.

I assume there isn’t any danger Murray rotates the keeper? MacDonald hasn’t played a minute in the Challenge Cup this season but I’d hope since it’s the final he’ll go with his strongest available side.

24 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah, Millen in for McGill is the only change for me. Murray said he told the players before last week’s game they were in pole position to start the cup final and it was up to them to hold on to their jersey with their performance. You can’t say that and then drop anyone from last week’s side, particularly Vaughan who had probably his best game since returning from injury.

Harsh on Connolly who has been excellent this season but after watching last week’s game, he’d have expected to miss out. He’ll still have a big part to play off the bench along with Ethan Ross I think.

I assume there isn’t any danger Murray rotates the keeper? MacDonald hasn’t played a minute in the Challenge Cup this season but I’d hope since it’s the final he’ll go with his strongest available side.

MacDonald will start tomorrow. I think it's been heavily implied in the media output this week that that will be the case. Harsh on mcniel and Thomson who have both played massive roles in getting us here. It's a cup final though and you play your strongest 11. 

4 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

Any other Rovers fans training it through tomorrow? Any idea how to get from Falkirk High to the ground? 

Also, is there any pubs that Rovers fans will congregate in? 

You'd be better getting the train to Grahamston (which is served by trains from both Edinburgh and Glasgow, but not on the fast Edinburgh - Glasgow line, if that makes sense).

4 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

Any other Rovers fans training it through tomorrow? Any idea how to get from Falkirk High to the ground? 

Also, is there any pubs that Rovers fans will congregate in? 

Plenty of taxis next to the station car park most of the time. It's a pretty straightforward walk down from Falkirk High. Been a while since I've done it so I'd hazard a guess and day it's about a 30 to 45 minute walk. 

53 minutes ago, bagpuss said:

Got tickets for this but will miss it due to COVID. Dodged it for 3 years and it would choose this week of all weeks  to catch me.

Happened to me last year. Enjoy it as best you can and I hope you recover quickly mate.