The Lockdown Years

23 hours ago, RiG said:

Queuing to get into Sainsburys for a pint of milk during the great toilet roll / flour / sugar / disinfectant shortage of 2020.

f**k. Had forgotten about that.

I’ll need to add “trying not to look smug as I marched to the front of the queue with NHS credentials “.

On 09/02/2023 at 19:21, Gaz said:

There's nothing wrong with folk being happy with it if that's their lifestyle choice.

To have folk whose entire life revolves around work and watching telly try to tell the rest of us to be content with that same mind-numbing boredom was absolutely galling, though.

On 10/02/2023 at 07:15, Alert Mongoose said:

That would be annoying as you say. I don't recall anyone telling me to do that though?  Unless this is an attempt to have a go at lockdowns which is surely a different argument.

There was absolutely loads of this, including on here in the Covid thread, and it was fucking infuriating. Pensioners and people who are happy with their lives exactly as pars described telling everyone that we must stick to the rules and that they were no hardship, precisely because they didn’t affect them. Welshy was a prime example of this. As soon as the rules affected him and his travel plans, suddenly that’s when they were a problem. Lockdown was great at highlighting the selfishness of the population.

I remember an older family member at the time saying if they were in charge they would permanently keep the curfew rule of nobody allowed out after 9pm because “I’m never out after then, it’s only people causing trouble”. Difficult not to scream in their face.

On 08/02/2023 at 23:59, welshbairn said:

Didn't affect me too much as I was a 24/7 home carer apart from respite breaks. I missed pubs but I had a garden and a beer pump and I'm in my sixties. If I'd been between say 15 and 30 I would have probably exploded with rage, or more likely just ignored the guidance and rules and been one of these terrible people having house parties.

Interesting you’re now saying this after your scathing criticism at the time of the people on here in that age bracket who openly criticised the rules.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

On 10/02/2023 at 07:57, Alert Mongoose said:

Did anyone actually listen to those people though? 

We ran a government by that principle, that locked up the largest urban centre in the country for any other activity for about nine months - and that was after the first wave emergency. 

We also 'listened' to similar, nonsense claims that churches filled with old biddies could be opened again on a basis of risk, but big, bad, football fans couldn't watch a game outdoors. 

The response to Covid in Scotland was as much about enacting class snobbery and white collar privilege as it was 'following the science'. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

We ran a government by that principle, that locked up the largest urban centre in the country for any other activity for about nine months - and that was after the first wave emergency. 

We also 'listened' to similar, nonsense claims that churches filled with old biddies could be opened again on a basis of risk, but big, bad, football fans couldn't watch a game outdoors. 

The response to Covid in Scotland was as much about enacting class snobbery and white collar privilege as it was 'following the science'. 

But isn't the whole point that most people just ignored that anyway? 

17 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

But isn't the whole point that most people just ignored that anyway? 

How did they ignore the closure of the hospitality sector, or nonsense rules like 'no standing drinks' or maximum group sizes? To take a relatively trivial handful of examples.

The restrictions were imposed in a way that gave the vast majority of the population little practical option but to comply, the vast majority of the time. 

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Interesting you’re now saying this after your scathing criticism at the time of the people on here in that age bracket who openly criticised the rules.

My main criticism was of people whose heads were absolutely gone about being asked to wear a mask and wash their hands, and those who took the rules way too seriously and thought that Granny was a monster for driving his wife to the supermarket. 

On 10/02/2023 at 07:15, Alert Mongoose said:

That would be annoying as you say. I don't recall anyone telling me to do that though?  Unless this is an attempt to have a go at lockdowns which is surely a different argument.

There were loads of folk making exactly these arguments. Including old people, who vote Tory, and thus influence Government policy. You'll probably even find plenty of them on the Covid thread. Do you not remember that at one point we couldn't sit at an outdoor football game, but old farts - *the very folk we were being locked up to protect* - could go to Church?

As I said earlier, a bit easier to understand that mentality right at the start of the pandemic, when a hitherto unknown virus was causing absolute carnage, but made absolutely no sense once we started getting vaccines rolled out and understood more about what it was like.

Edited by Gaz

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I alluded to this earlier in the thread.

I followed the rules to the letter at the start. I have a daughter with a history of lung and breathing problems. I was terrified she'd catch it.

With hindsight, it's now easy to look back and think that vast majority of the rules were a load of shite.

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I alluded to this earlier in the thread.

I followed the rules to the letter at the start. I have a daughter with a history of lung and breathing problems. I was terrified she'd catch it.

With hindsight, it's now easy to look back and think that vast majority of the rules were a load of shite.

I think vast majority will have followed them closely at the start, or at least the main ones. Once vaccines were available and it became clear that the main threat was severely reduced, but over the top restrictions remained, you still had people like Welshbairn criticising the people who were openly critical of the rules. Well, until It affected his travel plans, then the rules were fair game to critique.

It was shite, I almost lost my marriage and my work is now a shambles because it’s not suited to the WFH they continue to implement.

It exposed some absolute frauds, particularly among the middle classes who purported to be left wing, who know have the brass neck to shout “solidarity” now when they spent years advocating the complete opposite because virtue signalling.

On 06/02/2023 at 17:27, Cosmic Joe said:

What will be your abiding memories? 

Working from home, watching every episode of Minder at 3.20pm twice over. 

Watching fitba, sitting in empty stadiums 

Watching the unravelling of the Covid thread

Going to work as normal,being totally taken for granted&being treated like shite

I got a tattoo on Friday 13th March 2020. I was in the studio from around 10am until 7pm. I have so many bad memories of that day.

On my way there I passed Boots and saw everyone serving in the shop with masks, gloves and aprons on. Bit OTT I remembered thinking. Got in to the studio and the owner was stomping about, complaining that they were running out supplies of sterilising fluid and the costs had rocketed recently. Yeah, I had saw that on the news along with the toilet roll shortage, but it still wasn't a thing, as such.

During the day I kept getting notifications on my phone about rugby getting cancelled, then football and horse racing as well. Basically it was obvious we were going in to lockdown pretty soon. What I didn't think was, everyone working in the tattoo parlour would be basically out of a job for around 9 months by the end of the following week.

For the next 8 weeks the highlight of my week was standing outside my local chemist queuing for an hour to pick up my dad's blister pack prescription from 8am every Tuesday.

Truly bizarre times, and I honestly wish I had kept a diary of some of the things that were going on and how I was feeling at the time because I can't even remember half of the things I was thinking at the time now.

Oh, and I am sure most under 25's would have had forearms like Popeye by the end of April 2020.

I remembered seeing a poll that said something like 20% of people were in favour of permanent restrictions which is absolutely wild.

By all means live your life how you want, but the pandemic did expose an undercurrent who welcome and thrive on extreme government control of themselves and others.

I hope that, if I am lucky enough to live to be old and don't want to go out as much, I sure as hell don't try to stop others from doing so.