Billy Thomson

He was a hero of mine as a kid, I used to watch Utd quite a bit during the late 80s.

2 weeks ago I saw him at Bayview, I hadn't realised he was coaching with Stranraer. He should've got more International recognition. 

Shock news, thanks for the memories, Billy.

First goalkeeper I remember really taking notice of as a lad as United went to the 87 UEFA cup final & Scottish Cup final within a few days of each other, he really was top notch at that time.

64 is no age at all, RIP.

He always wore sort of padded, leggings. I used to try and emulate his look, by tucking my tracksuit bottoms into my tangerine socks when I kicked about in the garden with my mates. I even painted my Dundee Utd subbeteo team's goalie's legs black, so it would look more like him!

13 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

He always wore sort of padded, leggings. I used to try and emulate his look, by tucking my tracksuit bottoms into my tangerine socks when I kicked about in the garden with my mates. I even painted my Dundee Utd subbeteo team's goalie's legs black, so it would look more like him!

Never a United fan but one of my favourite keepers from my childhood. And the padded trousers I had so much envy for 😆

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Never a United fan but one of my favourite keepers from my childhood. And the padded trousers I had so much envy for 😆

Strange thing but I was the same, for some reason, when I used to watch Sportscene and Scotsport back in the day, Andy Goram, Billy Thomson and Theo Snelders were the 3 Goalkeepers that made me want to become a keeper.

I was lucky enough to meet Billy many many years ago, he came across as a great guy as well and at that age, he was definitely taken away too soon.