Injury Time

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Quite unusual that, after the defenders have been passing it about among themselves.

You mean to say you've never seen defenders pass the ball around amongst themselves only for one to casually flick it up to head it back to the keeper who can grab it and then take his time kicking it?

Spoiler

Neither have I, its a completely ludicrous suggestion.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The only timing change I would entertain would be a referee enforced set time for GKs, throw ins etc. Rip the pish and it goes the other way, or booking, whatever flavour you like best. This sort of rule already notionally exists for 6 seconds ball in hand for keepers. 

I honestly have no fuckkng idea why anyone wants to pick an arbitrary time and force it regardless of how long the match takes to complete, rather than keep the game time manageable, and keep the football free flowing by minimising time wasting via currently available means.

I mean who genuinely thinks 2 hours to complete 60 mins play time, because players have carte blanche to f**k about to their hearts content because it all gets added on at the end, will result.in a better product

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, I'm certainly not.

I guess it could work that way, but on the contrary I'd hope it would work the other way.

A lot of the faffing about comes because players are hoping to reduce the time the ball is in play during the game.

Wouldn't it be great to have one less thing to be worried about in relation to poor/biased refereeing?

57 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

You mean to say you've never seen defenders pass the ball around amongst themselves only for one to casually flick it up to head it back to the keeper who can grab it and then take his time kicking it?

Hide contents

No, but I have seen a defender intercept a high ball, head it back to the keeper who then wastes time as I said. The point is, despite the nit-picking is that time can be wasted while the ball is in play.

5 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

No, but I have seen a defender intercept a high ball, head it back to the keeper who then wastes time as I said. The point is, despite the nit-picking is that time can be wasted while the ball is in play.

And nobody's saying it isn't. Just that if you can cut out some of the time wasting, and at the same time take away an area of controversy, why wouldn't you?

By the end of the decade injury time won't exist at professional level IMO. Time keeping will not be done by the referee, but by a separate off field official. There will be a clock counting down so everyone in the stadium knows exactly how much time is left to the second. As is the norm in other professional sports. It's pretty odd that the only person who knows how long there is left to play is the ref. 

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

Time keeping will not be done by the referee, but by a separate off field official. There will be a clock counting down so everyone in the stadium knows exactly how much time is left to the second.

Really excited to see how this plays out in the West of Scotland Football League Fourth Division!

Just now, eez-eh said:

Really excited to see how this plays out in the West of Scotland Football League Fourth Division!

It really shouldn't be that difficult. High School basketball teams have been managing it up and down the country for decades 😅

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I lived with a guy when a student who was adamant any change to the rules of football had to be universal across all forms, both in terms of leagues and countries.  ie. Those playing school boy footy in Burkina Faso played to the same rules as those in the Bernabeu.  I in part agreed with him, as its what makes football so universal.  However when VAR and goal line technology kicked in, it changed all that.  A two tier system is all ready in place.

I agree with Lex, I can see the model he's suggested being implemented, for the benefit or detriment to be confirmed.

Edited by Pete the Jakey

14 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I lived with a guy when a student who was adamant any change to the rules of football had to be universal across all forms, both in terms of leagues and countries.  ie. Those playing school boy footy in Burkina Faso played to the same rules as those in the Bernabeu.  I in part agreed with him, as its what makes football so universal.  However when VAR and goal line technology kicked in, it changed all that.  A two tier system is all ready in place.

I agree with Lex, I can see the model he's suggested being implemented, for the benefit or detriment to be confirmed.

Just because there’s already a two-tier system in place it doesn’t mean people who were opposed to it are suddenly okay with it and want to exacerbate it.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Auld Tam that empties the bins and was the father of the big boy that played up front back in the day will get a new Timex, nae bother.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Auld Tam that empties the bins and was the father of the big boy that played up front back in the day will get a new Timex, nae bother.

Or he could do it on a computerised stopwatch - that he kept in his pocket!!!!

Science fiction nonsense!!!

7 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Hide contents

Funnily enough, I've not seen that terribly often either.

Am I right in saying that wouldn't actually be allowed either?  Maybe I'm just thinking of the dim view taken of 'self-mades' in games of Volleys and Headers.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Funnily enough, I've not seen that terribly often either.

Am I right in saying that wouldn't actually be allowed either? 

if it’s a “deliberate trick” to circumvent the law then It’s covered under law 12 as Unsporting behaviour 

8 hours ago, Lex said:

By the end of the decade injury time won't exist at professional level IMO. Time keeping will not be done by the referee, but by a separate off field official. There will be a clock counting down so everyone in the stadium knows exactly how much time is left to the second. As is the norm in other professional sports. It's pretty odd that the only person who knows how long there is left to play is the ref. 

It's crazy that this doesn't already happen. It would stop time wasting and end the random injury time that we currently have. It wouldn't be hard to work out how much time the ball is in play in an average match at the moment and base a game of football on that, 35/40 minutes a half. Football as always doesn't like change.