Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

1 minute ago, Diamond1924 said:

Dunfermline are a big strong side who use their physicality very well. I just don’t think the football they play is as inspiring as you would think (given their results).

I'm not sure how anyone could watch us & say we are big strong side? Certainly not someone who, unless I'm totally wrong, has seen us play once this season.

Those massive lads like Comrie, Edwards, MacDonald, Todd, Mochrie, Wighton, O Hara, Chalmers, Hamilton and KRH have physically dominated sides right enough. 

Also, if the other 9 sides are better footballing teams than us but finish below us, absolutely happy to let the rest fight it out for the non-existent, subjective award. Its straw clutching at its worst. 

24 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Did I imply that the best footballing team have the best results? No. They are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

Dunfermline are a big strong side who use their physicality very well. I just don’t think the football they play is as inspiring as you would think (given their results).

Hopefully you can get past the weirdness of a simple difference of opinion son. 

We're a big side? Oaft. 

Hopefully we skelp these long ball merchants on Saturday. 

20230205_182313.thumb.jpg.4a261bc5f5901f5915abd26cae7a5e84.jpg

33 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I'm not sure how anyone could watch us & say we are big strong side? Certainly not someone who, unless I'm totally wrong, has seen us play once this season.

I’ve only seen the draw earlier in the season and highlights from other games and I’d agree with you. Todorov is a useful outlet for that at times but particularly at home it seems like a lot of patient build-up play and getting the ball out to the wing-backs, while at times struggling to break down opposition camped in their own half?

I think that’s where Saturday could be interesting. Dunfermline are clearly organised under McPake and willing to sya compact when needed. Playing a team like Airdrie who are very open and expansive no matter the score should be an interesting contrast.

46 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Did I imply that the best footballing team have the best results? No. They are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

I think the ‘weirdness’ in this thread is trying to say we’re a “big strong side”. If you honestly think that, I can confidently say that you know absolutely nothing about our squad, or how we play.

We’re a well organised side and have kept it tight at the back. But we lack physicality, outside of our 2 CBs and McCann/Todorov (who rarely play).

Airdrie had MacDonald and Edwards before, did they make you a big strong side? Is it 5’4 Chris Hamilton that’s big and strong? Or will it be Chris Mochrie?

Im going to be honest. I’d rather be ‘inspired’ by watching my team keep 13 clean sheets in 22 games, leading the league by 5 points. Airdrie have conceded 14 goals in 3 games against FC Edinburgh. We’ve conceded 12 goals in our 22 league games and you’re trying to say you’re more ‘inspiring’ to watch?

58 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Simple win more games have more happy fans .

20 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure I'd agree with that, I'd say the 'must not lose' games are more for the teams around us who we don't want to give 3 points to. Dunfermline aren't a play-off rival so I wouldn't be worried about risking a defeat to get the win, if they go a further 3 points ahead of us then who cares. If we're accepting a point at home to them then we're saying we're getting at best a point away too, 1 or 2 points of out these 2 games will see us drop out the play-offs, with Falkirk and an away match to a rejuvenated QOS to come.

Of course if there's any remaining idea of a title challenge (not that I think there is) then 6 points from 6 is a must, so again a draw doesn't help.

We need to be going into them with a positive attitude and even if we were to win 1 out the 2 that would be a good return and better than a couple of draws.

“Must not lose” purely to consolidate our position in the playoffs, albeit I’d think there will be a lot of to-ing & a fro-ing for the 3rd & 4th league positions to come yet. 

46 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Also, if the other 9 sides are better footballing teams than us but finish below us, absolutely happy to let the rest fight it out for the non-existent, subjective award. Its straw clutching at its worst. 

Now, now you're being deliberately obtuse.

Moving on, the old adage of the "league never lies" remains true to this day despite all the stats available these days.

I think Dunfermline are a more physical team than ourselves but that wouldn't be particularly hard.

I would say teams like Kelty and FC Edinburgh are far more physical than Dunfermline.

I think because they have Josh Edwards that launches in a long throw people automatically start comparing them to Stoke City in the EPL years ago with Rory Delap.

If anything their record against Clyde/Peterhead etc at home shows you that they struggle to break teams down who park the bus.

52 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I think the ‘weirdness’ in this thread is trying to say we’re a “big strong side”. If you honestly think that, I can confidently say that you know absolutely nothing about our squad, or how we play.

We’re a well organised side and have kept it tight at the back. But we lack physicality, outside of our 2 CBs and McCann/Todorov (who rarely play).

Airdrie had MacDonald and Edwards before, did they make you a big strong side? Is it 5’4 Chris Hamilton that’s big and strong? Or will it be Chris Mochrie?

Im going to be honest. I’d rather be ‘inspired’ by watching my team keep 13 clean sheets in 22 games, leading the league by 5 points. Airdrie have conceded 14 goals in 3 games against FC Edinburgh. We’ve conceded 12 goals in our 22 league games and you’re trying to say you’re more ‘inspiring’ to watch?

Thanks for the novel of a reply. Fishing Fishermen GIF by beCreatives

Airdrie play the pars twice in a row. If they win both games then lead is down to 4. So the chance is there for us if they still harbour ambitions of the league. 

I support any comment that disagrees with the whole “right way to play football”. There is no right way. The only right way is the one that wins you games. As much as being attacking is a good thing, the art of defence is also a key part of football. 

That being said, I saw the pars against montrose earlier in the season and you were stinking. Airdrie to win 6-0 and section B to knock out a few disabled pars fans out their wheelchairs 

Having only seen the last drawn game, and a series of you tube highlights, I don't see much between the styles of play. We did have dire results against Edinburgh whatever , and coming up against well organised sides , who need breaking down,  has been difficult

I'd expect quite an interesting game and an increased crowd could raise the atmosphere. As to prediction I'll wait a wee while yet.