Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

42 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

He’d scored one in a row. He’s now missed 2 of his last 3. Having said that, for some reason I just had a feeling he wasn’t scoring. The long delay, he didn’t look as confident as usual and Hutton probably feels he has something to prove at East End, since he’s regarded as one of our worst keepers in recent times.

Yeah, penalty shoot-outs don’t count m9

31 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

We've played them 12 times since they got relegated and they've only beat us once (mostly hutton in goals for those games as well). We also beat them 4-0 at home earlier this season so i would be very disappointed if we only got a point.

Long may it continue. Its not a very positive train of thought relying on other teams to beat your nearest rival at the top of the league.

Aye we were red rotten fae the 1st whistle. Airdrie are like Aberdeen when play Rangers, play with plenty of guts but are absolutely gash against other teams. League 1 results prove the point.

The title race is starting to look more interesting now, 5 point gap with Falkirk and Dunfermline still to play each other twice. Falkirk do seem to have gradually built up a head of steam as the season has gone on. Next week will be huge, I'd have fancied us next week but our goalkeeper situation is an issue, and Dunfermline have a tough game down in Dumfries (despite their result today I think that will be a close one), so it could be even closer next week. If McGlynn has been watching the previous 2 games he'll see that Dunfermline can be got at if you play with some intensity and quick passing - and Falkirk wont be as generous as us defensively.

All that said, I think Dunfermline will have enough this season. Despite our obvious flaws and frailties, when we are playing well there's no-one else in the league (perhaps Falkirk but not seen them recently) who can make Dunfermline look that poor for large spells, and they still took 4 points from 6. I can't see there being enough other teams in the league who are able to exploit them to make them drop enough points. Unless Falkirk are able to beat them twice I'd still have my money on Dunfermline.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

4 points from 6 is exactly what I thought we'd get. Airdrie are a very decent side and with Rae in goals I would've fancied their chances of getting a point next week. Not now

Evidently unaware of the hoodoo we hold over Falkirk.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

On 14/02/2023 at 14:45, Chapelhall chap said:

It certainly didn't help my mental health but as football's a funny old game, I'm going to predict a draw. Clearly I have no idea how we will recover but hope springs eternal. 

I'm posting this before reading any of the recent comments as I wish I'd predicted that draw in the prediction League thread. 

I was impressed by how we bounced back from last week. There were spells in the first half where both sides had the edge, and I was glad we scored first from a great piece of play, and a deserved lead at half time.

Dunfermline altered the shape in second half and kept that momentum for most of the half, but crossbar apart they rarely cut us open. If an equaliser was coming it was likely when Todorov came on and so it proved. I'd have to watch highlights to be sure if it was bad defence or good play but the goalmouth tussle was so unnecessary and eventually almost cost us. The penalty looked clear and I was less than sure that Benedictus would miss. Congratulations to Hutton for saving it and earning us a good point. 

Wighton and Mochrie were very good for Dunfermline but our midfielders did a great job today and Euan Devenney was really good. 

Two draws and that puzzler last week suggests we are capable of top four but can't see Dunfermline squandering the lead, even to Falkirk.

The referee was a strange mixture of decisions, and maybe he needs several L2 run outs before handling a "top" game.  On to an intriguing game ( and crowd) against Falkirk.

54 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The title race is starting to look more interesting now, 5 point gap with Falkirk and Dunfermline still to play each other twice. Falkirk do seem to have gradually built up a head of steam as the season has gone on. Next week will be huge, I'd have fancied us next week but our goalkeeper situation is an issue, and Dunfermline have a tough game down in Dumfries (despite their result today I think that will be a close one), so it could be even closer next week. If McGlynn has been watching the previous 2 games he'll see that Dunfermline can be got at if you play with some intensity and quick passing - and Falkirk wont be as generous as us defensively.

All that said, I think Dunfermline will have enough this season. Despite our obvious flaws and frailties, when we are playing well there's no-one else in the league (perhaps Falkirk but not seen them recently) who can make Dunfermline look that poor for large spells, and they still took 4 points from 6. I can't see there being enough other teams in the league who are able to exploit them to make them drop enough points. Unless Falkirk are able to beat them twice I'd still have my money on Dunfermline.

Bricking a 3 nil lead at home with less than half a game to play doesn't help. The absolute worst you should have got out that was a draw. It makes your point today seem bittersweet no? We bossed them first half at EEP they were better second half. The game at our place was dugshite but Wighton scored with a free header. We are more than capable of beating them twice. They will feel the same about beating us. All to play for yet. 

Edited by ebobsboy

That was an entertaining double header. 

When we click we can be really incisive in our passing and can press well. Don’t have the resources of Falkirk and Dunfermline but glad to see us compete twice.

Dunfermline were more powerful and in both games that told.

Would really like to see the off the inside of the post header from Fordyce. Watching it I thought it must have crossed the line given how long it took to claw back.

also thought the first yellow for Rae was a bit harsh. From the Pats review clip he was bundled over by 3 Dunfermline players pretty quickly after the goal. Not sure what his crime was. No complaints on the second and I did raise a smile that it could well have been 4 bookings in 2 weeks for him.

pars don’t like Hutton but he was always decent for us previously. Won’t be the worst keeper we’ll see this year!!

Although I’m sure like the footage last week, we’ll still all argue about the decisions anyway.

20 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Bricking a 3 nil lead at home with less than half a game to play doesn't help. The absolute worst you should have got out that was a draw. It makes your point today seem bittersweet no? We bossed them first half at EEP they were better second half. The game at our place was dugshite but Wighton scored with a free header. We are more than capable of beating them twice. They will feel the same about beating us. All to play for yet. 

Airdrie could well kill the title race next week though 😜

At least, unlike some pars fans, you’ll know not to leave early regardless of any Airdrie lead!!! 

9 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

also thought the first yellow for Rae was a bit harsh. From the Pats review clip he was bundled over by 3 Dunfermline players pretty quickly after the goal. Not sure what his crime was. No complaints on the second and I did raise a smile that it could well have been 4 bookings in 2 weeks for him.

He grabbed the ball and stopped the players getting it, in an attempt to delay the restart. Usually goes unpunished, but most keepers also release the ball without much fight, rather than throwing himself into the net clutching onto it as if his life depends on it. If you’re that obvious about it, you can’t complain about the yellow. He’d also just been warned about time wasting.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

He grabbed the ball and stopped the players getting it, in an attempt to delay the restart. Usually goes unpunished, but most keepers also release the ball without much fight, rather than throwing himself into the net clutching onto it as if his life depends on it. If you’re that obvious about it, you can’t complain about the yellow. He’d also just been warned about time wasting.

I think that’s called out in the rules as a yellow card offence so pretty stupid from him then, especially given what then happened. 

What about the header in the first half,  Pars fans behind the goal would have had a good view. Must have been tight!!

It must have been a deceptive view from the far away opposite stand. I was sat in line with it in the main stand and the ball has come back off the post and out the way but never back towards the goal line. I mean yes it was close in terms of the ball hit the woodwork but in no way crossed the line after coming off the woodwork. Hopefully highlights will give you a better angle of the opportunity.

1 minute ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I think that’s called out in the rules as a yellow card offence so pretty stupid from him then, especially given what then happened. 

What about the header in the first half,  Pars fans behind the goal would have had a good view. Must have been tight!!

Yeah. I thought the ref got the triple booking right. Regarding the header, to be honest, others will have had a better view than me. But I did think that it must have been close, but I didn’t think it had gone in. Was between the keeper and the goal, but he looked about a yard or so off his line and was able to reach back and get it.

19 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I always find this a bizarre thing to do. It's like they think that the opposition are going to run back to the centre circle and restart the game, totally forgetting that their own team has the kick-off so it's completely irrelevant whether they get the ball or not, there's nothing they can do with it.

Picking up bookings for stuff like that is really stupid.

11 hours ago, Yankee_Dollar said:

Long may it continue. Its not a very positive train of thought relying on other teams to beat your nearest rival at the top of the league.

Aye we were red rotten fae the 1st whistle. Airdrie are like Aberdeen when play Rangers, play with plenty of guts but are absolutely gash against other teams. League 1 results prove the point.

Maybe ask falkirk and montrose who have both been absolutely hammered by us this season. We are as good as anyone in the league in our day. Our issue is inconsistency and lack of depth in our squad combined with suspensions and injuries. 

20 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Maybe ask falkirk and montrose who have both been absolutely hammered by us this season. We are as good as anyone in the league in our day. Our issue is inconsistency and lack of depth in our squad combined with suspensions and injuries. 

Not forgetting Alloa & Clyde.

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Airdrie probably best team I've seen us play this season. We should have won it in the end which says a lot about everyone else in this league, except perhaps Montrose.

The league is yours to lose now. Teams like Dunfermline shouldn't be grubbing about in League 1. It's always a good away day, smashing stadium. Thank god these two games are over, it's been a hard shift for us. An easy 3 points for us next week to get us back to winning ways. Fed up beating Falkirk!

image.thumb.png.7041eb276e7bbc5cab5a650f44e96bf1.png

There’s been a lot of controversy over the 2 games. 

Pars Review video was really good and I still think Rae’s first yellow was a bit much  (or that you have to give more yellows out than the three that he did as the Dunfermline players went in pretty heavy handed to get the ball back). Correct practical decision probably a blast of the whistle, tell everyone to hurry up, stop the watch until play restarts to avoid the intended time wasting.

For the second yellow and penalty, looks offside from the highlights.