Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

Now the handball rule is deeply confusing these days and it's no surprise it was given but I've no idea if it hits his hand or not in the footage. I would appeal the red card though as Smith tripped over an Airdrie defender and was in roll mode when the ball struck him, unintentional to me if that still a thing.

Watching the highlights, what the f**k was smith doing? 3 nil up and absolutely cruising. No need to do it. I don’t know what happened after but it lose 3 goals after the penalty is a shocker, albeit two of them were crackers. Just have to dust ourselves down and try finish 2nd

Games like that remind you why you go to the football. Unbelievable.

In terms of the performance I thought we started fairly brightly, didn’t see much wrong with the disallowed goal. Wighton’s hands were up but nothing more than a 50/50 IMO so will need to see it back.

Once Airdrie went 1-0 up our heads went down and you could see the pressure was affecting the team with some horrific misplaced passes. 

2-0 down at HT, but I thought we played worse in the first half at Clyde a fortnight ago, yet we went in at HT at 1-1. Funny old game. I said at HT that our bottle was crashing, and that I didn’t see where 2 goals were coming from. What do I know! 

How the Airdrie keeper wasn’t sent off for a second yellow I’ll never know. Some unbelievable saves from the lad too, the one from McCann just after the restart was spectacular and one from Wighton at close range just as good.

Obviously the red card and penalty changes everything as has been mentioned, when it went to 3-2 it was a matter of time before we equalised. At 3-3 we sat in for a couple of minutes and it looked like we may have settled for the draw, but fair play to the manager for keeping us attacking, great ball from Wighton and another Todorov late winner!

Thought Otoo was excellent after being thrown in at the deep end. Shout out to Mahon who had a point to prove after not being involved much all season and did really well too. Matty Todd for Ballon d’or.

Brilliant scenes in the stand at the winner and the end. One of those games you’ll never forget.

0-0 next week is a certainty!

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Not fully convinced we’d have won that if it was 11 v 11. It was ultimately McCabe’s dreadful game management that lost it so if Dunfermline had made it 3-1 they quite probably would have went on to win it regardless of how many players we had. As soon as they scored you could see what was coming a mile off. 

I agree, I don't buy this 'we dominated for 60 minutes' thing. For the entire second half I thought it was all Dunfermline, we scored from a breakaway but other than that were camped in our own half.

It was really just that period before half time where we ran riot, for 3 quarters of the game it was either an even contest or Dunfermline dominated. I don't think we'd have lost with 11 men but it would have been panic stations when they got the first goal back.

Usually after a bad defeat I'd be feeling more relaxed but watching the highlights back I'm even more annoyed at the complete collapse.

What an earth was Callum Smith doing?? And we were lucky that Josh Rae was still on the pitch after a blatant handball outside the box.

The match report was completely embarrassing too 'dominated for 60 minutes" no we didn't. We had a great spell for 25/30 minutes in the second half.

Could you imagine this Airdrie team in the play offs? You'd need to give us a 5 goal head start for us not to bottle it.

I think P&B will completely crash when we beat Falkirk in the play off semi final then lose 9-8 to FC Edinburgh in extra time after being up 4-0. 

I know Hibs have a reputation for 'Hibsing it' but I genuinely believe we are the biggest bottlejobs in Scottish football.

Edited by David Fernández

As above, it was pretty even for the first 25 minutes or so, Wighton's disallowed goal was a bit of a soft decision. Airdrie were gradually getting on top though, and after the goal battered us until half-time. The 2 subs after a 30 minutes were a big gamble, I guess it was designed to give the whole team a shake and it did work but until half time it looked like it had only made a bad situation worse. Second half we were great, Mochrie and Mahon helped a lot and we actually played with a bit of composure. Both defences were poor during most of the game, it is a good thing Airdrie didn't get forward much second half as we didn't look much more solid. The Airdrie keeper certainly had an interesting game, and the referee had a lot to do as well. 5-4 next Saturday?

5 hours ago, DAFC. said:

McGill staunchly declaring it wasn’t a penalty in the post-match interview 🤣

Also saying it was a "clear push" for our dissallowed goal is just a nonsense. I think the chants of McGill what's the score has wound him up something rotten

10 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Your weak underbelly will mean League 1 football next season I'm afraid.  Nice football only gets you so far.

If QP can win the playoffs from 20-something points behind second place then we can.

But this team has 0 bottle and no idea how to make changes when the tide is against us, so we won’t. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Now the handball rule is deeply confusing these days and it's no surprise it was given but I've no idea if it hits his hand or not in the footage. I would appeal the red card though as Smith tripped over an Airdrie defender and was in roll mode when the ball struck him, unintentional to me if that still a thing.

Did you seriously write this after seeing the footage back? Stonewall penalty and red card. You see him on the ground deliberately punching the ball away from Wighton’s feet ffs. Complete and utter stupidity at 3-0 up. At least the other Airdrie fans that have watched it back seem to be pretty honest about it.

Just now, CallumPar said:

Did you seriously write this after seeing the footage back? Stonewall penalty and red card. You see him on the ground deliberately punching the ball away from Wighton’s feet ffs. Complete and utter stupidity at 3-0 up. At least the other Airdrie fans that have watched it back seem to be pretty honest about it.

Yip, I'm open to the handball and penalty but no way was it deliberate which I believe is a yellow. Again, if any handball rule experts want to dissect and explain further then I'll gladly listen.

I would also question your assertion that it was at Wighton's feet.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip, I'm open to the handball and penalty but no way was it deliberate which I believe is a yellow. Again, if any handball rule experts want to dissect and explain further then I'll gladly listen.

I would also question your assertion that it was at Wighton's feet.

Denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity. Wighton had the ball/was running onto the ball in the middle of the goal 7/8 yards out when Smith used his hands to push it away from him. Easy decision. I honestly don’t know how you can’t understand that.

edit to add - the yellow card for deliberate handball is more relevant for when your keeper handled it outside the box. That should have been a (second) yellow. 

Edited by CallumPar

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree, I don't buy this 'we dominated for 60 minutes' thing. For the entire second half I thought it was all Dunfermline, we scored from a breakaway but other than that were camped in our own half.

It was really just that period before half time where we ran riot, for 3 quarters of the game it was either an even contest or Dunfermline dominated. I don't think we'd have lost with 11 men but it would have been panic stations when they got the first goal back.

Hope Dunfermline don't score early next week or we might need the beads to count the score ,we need a manager.

18 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity. Wighton had the ball/was running onto the ball in the middle of the goal 7/8 yards out when Smith used his hands to push it away from him. Easy decision. I honestly don’t know how you can’t understand that.

edit to add - the yellow card for deliberate handball is more relevant for when your keeper handled it outside the box. That should have been a (second) yellow. 

Airdrie defenders were closer to the ball than Wighton, the ball bounced off him and he didn't have control of, therefore yellow. 

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Airdrie defenders were closer to the ball than Wighton, the ball bounced off him and he didn't have control of, therefore yellow. 

Smith deliberately pushed it out of the path of a striker, who was trying to get to the ball in the middle of the goal about 7 yards out. If he didn’t think Wighton had a chance of getting to that and scoring, he wouldn’t have done it. The intention was obviously to prevent Wighton scoring. Are you seriously trying to argue otherwise?

11 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

I don't dispute that you guys were on top for a large part of the first half. But the first 25 mins was even. We had a goal chalked off that shouldn't of been IMO.

Airdrie had us on the ropes for the last 20 mins of the first half. You scored goals and were on top. 

I'm disputing your comment about being all over us for the first 60 minutes. It's not true.

You were not on top in the opening 25 minutes or the start of the second half. Your third goal was on the break when we were on the front foot.

The first 25 minutes was so even that your gaffer hauled off 2 players after 30 minutes. 😂

Have a word with yourself. 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The first 25 minutes was so even that your gaffer hauled off 2 players after 30 minutes. 😂

Have a word with yourself. 

I thought the game was pretty even too up until the first goal. Hamilton and Chalmers couldn’t cope with our midfield’s pressing and movement but overall there wasn’t much in the game at all and when Dunfermline scored their disallowed goal it wasn’t exactly against the run of play. 

For me the game was even until the first goal, Airdrie dominated until half time, Dunfermline slightly edged the second half before the penalty and then clearly all Dunfermline. 

Watching the penalty incident back it does seem like pure stupidity from Smith. Even if it was accidental, I think we were very fortunate to still have Josh Rae on the pitch after he slid out his box.

17 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Smith deliberately pushed it out of the path of a striker, who was trying to get to the ball in the middle of the goal about 7 yards out. If he didn’t think Wighton had a chance of getting to that and scoring, he wouldn’t have done it. The intention was obviously to prevent Wighton scoring. Are you seriously trying to argue otherwise?

Absolutely, penalty yes, deliberate no and as you say Wighton "had a chance of getting to" so not clear then.

14 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Would like some clarity on it, because there was nothing wrong with it from my angle. Defender looked to have fucked it, judges it all wrong and Wighton takes advantage. Unless he was offside but think it was given as a foul. 

Your keeper was definitely outside the box and he should have walked. As much as Airdrie put us under pressure and deserved their lead, the referee did help you along a bit right up until the sending off, which we took full advantage of. We could have scored more than 4 after it tbh. 

Highlights are up.

there’s actually a very clear shove in the build up which isn’t given, the goal scorer gives the gentlest of nudges which he probably didn’t need to do. Soft, but it’s the goal scorers fault.

as best as I can I’ve gone frame by frame on the big 2 incidents. Goalie it’s very tight, but I can’t see all the ball over all the line when I scroll through it. Footage doesn’t clear it up though.

Penalty incident is really harsh on Smith. He’s on the deck and can’t see the shot being taken. Not deliberate, is his hand in an unatural position given that he’s strictly speaking breaking his fall? There are 2 Airdrie players between smith and the goal. 

It could have been waived on. Penalty hard to argue against albeit it’s unlucky. Red card feels too much. 

1ABFF3D4-89EE-4A05-B8BA-4532B1CA3334.png